Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is anybody at all saying the opposite? What's wrong with admitting it?

Purifying water so that it can be drunk costs money.

How did the admission of that one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Purifying water so that it can be drunk costs money.

How did the admission of that one go?

Do you think that the loss of 8 billion pa is a major body blow to the EU? Nobody else seems to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I agree wit ambro25. The reason the UK has found it hard to implement the same controls on EU benefits tourism that (say) Germany implements is because there is no compulsion to register where you live in the UK. For some bizarre reason the British and Irish believe it's a massive civil liberties issue. I haven't noticed my civil liberties here in Germany being infringed because the state knows where I live. Indeed, a national ID card linked to an address makes life very convenient. You will not be asked to provide utility bills here when opening a bank account or what have you. You just present your ID with your address on it and off you go.

The sheer convenience of a German ID card is why I'll take on German citizenship this year (I have done the citizenship test already, just need to schedule an appointment to set the rest of the process in motion).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

murphaph wrote: »

The sheer convenience of a German ID card is why I'll take on German citizenship this year (I have done the citizenship test already, just need to schedule an appointment to set the rest of the process in motion).

A bit OT, but it might help a few others.

Will you retain your Irish citizenship when you become a German citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I know this is just the opinion for some guy (who helped negotiate CETA).

He makes 4 points .

1. Put everything on the table . I think the EU and UK are guilty of not doing so currently . Both sides have too many red line issues

2. Get familiar. You'd think that the EU and UK who've been partners for 40 + years would already be familiar with each other . The UK seems to have no understand of the EU position and what the EU is willing to do to protect the EU and the 4 freedoms

3. Get buy in . We are constantly seeing British stakeholders having no idea what the plan is , why they are brexiting , how they'll brexit.

4. Expect the unexpected like the EU closing ranking and negotiating as whole

• Advertisement

Do you think that the loss of 8 billion pa is a major body blow to the EU? Nobody else seems to think so.

It isn't a major body blow, but an absolute political dilemma.

Do you stop building motorways in Poland, or make every country pay 8% extra to make up the shortfall?

At a time when the Irish government are fighting for the world's largest company not to have to pay €13bn in tax, they put through a 2% increase in VAT?

People Before Profit (who campaigned in the north for the UK to leave the eu) would have an absolute field day. And let's face it, they were pretty effective with water charges.

It a major body blow, but an absolute political dilemma.

Do you stop building motorways in Poland, or make every country pay 8% extra to make up the shortfall?

At a time when the Irish government are fighting for the world's largest company not to have to pay €13bn in tax, they put through a 2% increase in VAT?

People Before Profit (who campaigned in the north for the UK to leave the eu) would have an absolute field day. And let's face it, they were pretty effective with water charges.

8%? Where do you get that figure from?
    Anyway, the Irish government spent approximately €53 billion in 2016. Let's say that their share of the £8 billion (pro rata and rounded up) is €100 million. The loss represents 0.18% of expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It seems that EU and Swiss citizens can claim dual citizenship, but everyone else has to renounce their previous nationality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Dual_citizenship

Oh yes, I wouldn't do it otherwise. Germany allows dual citizenship for EU citizens, but (generally, with few exceptions) not for anyone else. A benefit of being in the club I guess :D

8%? Where do you get that figure from?
    Anyway, the Irish government spent approximately €53 billion in 2016. Let's say that their share of the £8 billion (pro rata and rounded up) is €100 million. The loss represents 0.18% of expenditure.

The UK pay around €11bn of the eu's €140bn budget, so about 8%. That's net, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The UK pay around €11bn of the eu's €140bn budget, so about 8%. That's net, of course.

The whole EU budget is ~1% of Europe's gross income. Let's call the missing 8 billion around 0.1%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The independent posted a interesting picture from today's meeting of the two team for the second round of discussions; notice a difference between EU (left) and the UK (right) team?

david-davis.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭DaniilKharms

I know this is just the opinion for some guy (who helped negotiate CETA).

He makes 4 points .

1. Put everything on the table . I think the EU and UK are guilty of not doing so currently . Both sides have too many red line issues

2. Get familiar. You'd think that the EU and UK who've been partners for 40 + years would already be familiar with each other . The UK seems to have no understand of the EU position and what the EU is willing to do to protect the EU and the 4 freedoms

3. Get buy in . We are constantly seeing British stakeholders having no idea what the plan is , why they are brexiting , how they'll brexit.

4. Expect the unexpected like the EU closing ranking and negotiating as whole

I have ZERO interest in the EU compromising very much with the UK, including on things like free movement of people or worker protection.

Well, it's accepted that the net figure is actually 8 billion.
    Anyway, any thoughts on my point about the 0.18% of expenditure?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

The UK's net contribution is approx £9 billion, so when the UK goes the EU is going to be missing £9 billion or approx 10.25 billion euro after whatever money the EU can squeeze out of the UK on leaving.

10.25 billion between the remainder 27 countries is approx 380 million euro for each country per year. So Ireland could have to find this amount on top of what they already pay now.

380,000,000 divided by 4.5 million inhabitants of the Republic works out at approx 84 euro for every man woman child baby and transgender in the Republic per year.

So a household with 3 kids will have to find an extra approx 420 euro per year to pay into the EU to make up what the EU is losing eventually after the UK has gone.

This is on top of all the extra 'levies' (taxes) and everything else imposed on you since 2008.

If most of the Irish public objected to water charges wouldn't they object to paying something like these figures whatever they may be?

Now this is assuming that all countries can and are willing to pay and some simply can't like Greece for example and I should imagine an extra tax like this on the newer nations is going to really go down well. So in reality Irelands families could be paying a lot more.

Also in the other 10,000 or so posts you have already decided that the UK is going to disappear in to the abyss, so all of the trade and revenue Ireland earnt with the UK isn't going to happen any more........according to you yourselves on here.

All in all the future ain't great for the Republic of Ireland if it decides to stop a member of the EU?

123shooter wrote: »
    The UK's net contribution is approx £9 billion, so when the UK goes the EU is going to be missing £9 billion or approx 10.25 billion euro after whatever money the EU can squeeze out of the UK on leaving.

10.25 billion between the remainder 27 countries is approx 380 million euro for each country per year. So Ireland could have to find this amount on top of what they already pay now.

380,000,000 divided by 4.5 million inhabitants of the Republic works out at approx 84 euro for every man woman child baby and transgender in the Republic per year.

So a household with 3 kids will have to find an extra approx 420 euro per year to pay into the EU to make up what the EU is losing eventually after the UK has gone.

This is on top of all the extra 'levies' (taxes) and everything else imposed on you since 2008.

If most of the Irish public objected to water charges wouldn't they object to paying something like these figures whatever they may be?

Now this is assuming that all countries can and are willing to pay and some simply can't like Greece for example and I should imagine an extra tax like this on the newer nations is going to really go down well. So in reality Irelands families could be paying a lot more.

Also in the other 10,000 or so posts you have already decided that the UK is going to disappear in to the abyss, so all of the trade and revenue Ireland earnt with the UK isn't going to happen any more........according to you yourselves on here.

All in all the future ain't great for the Republic of Ireland if it decides to stop a member of the EU?

There's zero doubt that the UK has screwed every country in the EU, especially Ireland.

There's also no doubt that the EU is a better option than going on our own, and that the EU will have a much rosier future than the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Most of the Irish public didn't object to water charges but that's for sure an other thread

There's zero doubt that the UK has screwed every country in the EU, especially Ireland.

There's also no doubt that the EU is a better option than going on our own, and that the EU will have a much rosier future than the UK.

Ok I am not going to even argue who is right or wrong and actually you cant see into the future either.

But back on the point. Are you going to accept and fork out that extra cash?...........I don't think the Irish public will even entertain such.

Could possibly explain why some political people have already gone elsewhere before it all kicks off?

Why would Ireland be liable for 1/27th of the bill? Your suggestion would have Germany and France also paying the same amount. Is that reasonable?

I think your maths needs work.

Why would Ireland be liable for 1/27th of the bill? Your suggestion would have Germany and France also paying the same amount. Is that reasonable?

Yip. The bigger countries will pick up more of the slack obviously. There might be some scaling back of capital projects too, but all in all I would much prefer to have the budget hole to plug problem than all the problems the UK is staring down the barrel at.

• Advertisement

Possibly but being as you want to be an equal member why shouldnt you be an equal payer?

Yip. The bigger countries will pick up more of the slack obviously. There might be some scaling back of capital projects too, but all in all I would much prefer to have the budget hole to plug problem than all the problems the UK is staring down the barrel at.

possibly but dont you think those in other countries are going to say why should we pay more when Irish people dont yet again?

I don't think your theory will go down too well.

possibly but dont you think those in other countries are going to say why should we pay more when Irish people dont yet again?

well... shouldn't it be:

- prorated by population
    - prorated by size of the economy
    - prorated by impact of Brexit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would assume that the UK budget contribution will continue for at least five years, but not ten. In addition, there will be a continued contribution to the EU pension pot that might continue for at least twenty years. Now assume that there is economic growth within the EU of between two and three percent plus inflation of between one and two percent.

With these figures, the EU will weather the UK departure with little economic loss, but of course, the loss of the UK economic contribution which may be large or small depending on the terms of the divorce settlement. The loss of sales into the UK and the transfer of UK business into EU27 cannot be estimated.

Early days yet.

Possibly but being as you want to be an equal member why shouldnt you be an equal payer?

In this new age of equality, are the several hundred thousand Northern Irish supposed to contribute the same towards the UK's Budget as the millions of English?

Can we drop the nonsense perhaps?

well... shouldn't it be:

- prorated by population
    - prorated by size of the economy
    - prorated by impact of Brexit?

Well for 40 years you have been having billions of other tax payers money.

It wasn't a gift you know. And now you want special privilege again!!! and not pay back what they have give you over 40 years but you still want to be an equal member.

Now they need your help you suddenly hand in a sicky.

Something amiss with the thinking there I think dont you?

In this new age of equality, are the several hundred thousand Northern Irish supposed to contribute the same towards the UK's Budget as the millions of English?

Can we drop the nonsense perhaps?

They arent in the EU and we are talking about Brexit and its effects on the EU and Ireland.

What does it matter to the UK how we sort this out when you've left anyway?

What does it matter to the UK how we sort this out when you've left anyway?

Correct but it matters to the people of Ireland with yet another bill to pay.

• Advertisement

Correct but it matters to the people of Ireland with yet another bill to pay.
    We'll manage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement