Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

james joyce

• 12-07-2017 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ congareel

where does james joyce rank in the list of international short story writers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭ Sheridan81

I read Dubliners and I wasn't that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ JohnFalstaff

Think he came 12th in the recent international list of top short story writers. Thought he would have placed higher myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ KJ

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I read Dubliners and I wasn't that impressed.

I've just finished A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Boy and was also unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭ LionelNashe

KJ wrote: »
    I've just finished A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Boy and was also unimpressed.

The sequel, Portrait of an Artist as a Teenager, is a bit better. Kind of like The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, but with better prose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Angstrom

KJ wrote: »

It's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and it's not a short story.

Dubliners is as good a selection of short stories as I've ever read, and that includes Chekhov. The Dead is a masterpiece in itself. Ranking writers like some sort of "Top of the Pops" is a bit crass, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭ Ipso

I didn't care too much for Dubliners but if anyone knows a better piece of writing than the final passage of The Dead, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭ Harry Angstrom

Ipso wrote: »
    I didn't care too much for Dubliners but if anyone knows a better piece of writing than the final passage, please let me know.

You mean snow was general all over Ireland? I think Father Ted might help you with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭ goose2005

Near the top
    http://www.ranker.com/list/best-short-story-writers-of-all-time/ranker-books

16th

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/oct/22/readers-suggest-the-10-best-short-story-collections

Of course, with short stories you have to give regard to the many different languages and genres (e.g. the short story seems especially suited to SF)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ candlegrease

Very highly. The Dead is considered by many to be the greatest short story written in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭ LionelNashe

I'm halfway through reading Dubliners for the second time, and taking my time with it, and appreciating it more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement