Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

james joyce

• 12-07-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

where does james joyce rank in the list of international short story writers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I read Dubliners and I wasn't that impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Think he came 12th in the recent international list of top short story writers. Thought he would have placed higher myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I read Dubliners and I wasn't that impressed.

I've just finished A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Boy and was also unimpressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

KJ wrote: »
    I've just finished A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Boy and was also unimpressed.

The sequel, Portrait of an Artist as a Teenager, is a bit better. Kind of like The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, but with better prose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

KJ wrote: »

It's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and it's not a short story.

Dubliners is as good a selection of short stories as I've ever read, and that includes Chekhov. The Dead is a masterpiece in itself. Ranking writers like some sort of "Top of the Pops" is a bit crass, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I didn't care too much for Dubliners but if anyone knows a better piece of writing than the final passage of The Dead, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ipso wrote: »
    I didn't care too much for Dubliners but if anyone knows a better piece of writing than the final passage, please let me know.

You mean snow was general all over Ireland? I think Father Ted might help you with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Near the top
    http://www.ranker.com/list/best-short-story-writers-of-all-time/ranker-books

16th

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/oct/22/readers-suggest-the-10-best-short-story-collections

Of course, with short stories you have to give regard to the many different languages and genres (e.g. the short story seems especially suited to SF)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

Very highly. The Dead is considered by many to be the greatest short story written in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm halfway through reading Dubliners for the second time, and taking my time with it, and appreciating it more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement