Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2018 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ireland play Scotland for 11th place. Loser is relegated from the U-20 World Cup next year. Ireland paying the price for two years without a win in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Ireland play Scotland for 11th place. Loser is relegated from the U-20 World Cup next year. Ireland paying the price for two years without a win in the tournament.

Incorrect

Loser plays the loser of Georgia and Japan to see who plays off to get relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

France have looked very good - 2 or 3 players there who should be playing for the seniors pretty soon. The Joseph guy is a bit of a beast. Given his surname is he an import I wonder.

The 2 outhalves have looked good too. Ntamack and the guy who scored that try above.

Brennan was a sub last night. He hasn't really stood out. He is a very tall guy as well for a TH. With his size he will struggle to get around the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bradders90 wrote: »
    That’s not true at all.

This is however BY FAR the worst u20 side since I started following u20s in 2012 (Tom Daly’s year when we beat Australia in first game).

Watching this Georgian game in genuine disbelief at how poor the Irish team is. Don’t understand how players who presumably have been playing for at least 5 years and some to a very high octane level in schools can have such poor game management and skills sets. Really genuinely disappointing.
    Perhaps schools isnt all its cracked up to be and most other countries can do better with their systems in place especially more pro orientated/longer term. I know we've had some excellent sides but wont always be case. Playing schools doesnt mean too much when you change things to adult level.
    And Tom Daly was an u19 in 2012. 2012 was more Ian Henderson, Jackson, Olding, Furlong, Scannell.
    Is there an u20 championship (like the 6 nations) in the southern hemisphere?

NZ beat Aus 27 - 18. They now meet France in the semi in Perpignan.
    There is an Oceania championship. New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and Tonga competed this year
    As others have said. Ireland have 2 shots at getting a win to avoid relegation.

2012 was an absolute superstar year for Ireland. We will never have a group as talented again.

Beirne, Conan, Farrell, Furlong, Henderson, Jackson, Marmion, McGrath, Olding, Scannell and VDF are all capped internationals (Beirne will be)

And then you have the likes of JJ, Barry Daly, Conor Gilsenan, Peter Nelson, Alan O'Connor, Cathal Marsh, Jordan Coughlan, Shane Buckley who all play/played some level of pro rugby to different degrees of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

2012 was an absolute superstar year for Ireland. We will never have a group as talented again.

Beirne, Conan, Farrell, Furlong, Henderson, Jackson, Marmion, McGrath, Olding, Scannell and VDF are all capped internationals (Beirne will be)

And then you have the likes of JJ, Barry Daly, Conor Gilsenan, Peter Nelson, Alan O'Connor, Cathal Marsh, Jordan Coughlan, Shane Buckley who all play/played some level of pro rugby to different degrees of success.

Yeah great year that from a development point of view.

I still think we have coaches not fully up to it, IRFU only pick from coaches within their system I do think they need to broaden their horizions as they do with the provinces and indeed the national team. It is important we develop coaches but we need a better and proven standard of coach to mentor them and bring them on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I have just watched the highlights of the games and yes, they looked way off the standard. Not to use injuries as an excuse, but depth wise we really struggled.
    I think some of the lads will be at least pro 14 standard. Not a lot of future stars as far as I can see. The coaching panel was not ideal either. Aungier does not look to be as good as advertised and Hume also was not as good as I expected.
    That said I think Curtis; Stewart, Doris and TOB will be good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I have just watched the highlights of the games and yes, they looked way off the standard. Not to use injuries as an excuse, but depth wise we really struggled.
    I think some of the lads will be at least pro 14 standard. Not a lot of future stars as far as I can see.  The coaching panel was not ideal either. Aungier does not look to be as good as advertised and Hume also was not as good as I expected.  
    Agreed, keep hearing Hume ear marked by our Ulster fans, but yet to see the Hype.
    O'Toole, Curtis, Dunleavy, Agnew all seem like positives for Ulster.
    Have also read rumours of skullduggery stopping Lowry attend the U20's so someone else could.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think some of the lads will be at least pro 14 standard. Not a lot of future stars as far as I can see. The coaching panel was not ideal either. Aungier does not look to be as good as advertised and Hume also was not as good as I expected.

Think you can include Jack O'Sullivan and O'Toole in the good players list.

Jury is out on any of the backs to be honest with me, they just don't seem to be big enough/smart enough/quick enough.

I think the point on some of the lads above is their seemingly relative lack of senior game time. Would be interested to see how that compares with other teams.

They seem to suffer from Jeremey Staunton syndrome - came too easily and didn't work on core skills to develop when on a level playing field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Watched most of that Georgia game and they're just a poor team. The only guy there who looks like a real talent is Doris. You've a fairly average bunch of players who don't look very well coached and that's what you get. The performance was absolutely riddled with errors and bad decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea the coaching probably did not help. POC may not be a good coach, McNamara too. Throughout the 6 nations and the rwc, the team looked weak, indecisive and haphazard especially in defense.
    Gotta believe that the mechanism and dynamics of the coaching team was substandard. Individuals looked good in some aspects but collectively they were a shambles.
    A year in the academy will tell the true value of these players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

Think you can include Jack O'Sullivan and O'Toole in the good players list.

Jury is out on any of the backs to be honest with me, they just don't seem to be big enough/smart enough/quick enough.

having watched the 6 nations and JWC Ronan Kellegher was the standout player for me and should make rapid progress in the next year or 2. a shame he was injured during the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Ayewserious

The current u20 back line is the worst I've seen in some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Watched most of that Georgia game and they're just a poor team.
    You've a fairly average bunch of players who don't look very well coached and that's what you get.

The performance was absolutely riddled with errors and bad decision making.

Not to mention four of five of the Irish players "helping" the referee to make decisions. Very annoying; was that courtesy of POC's coaching, I wonder? They'd all be far wiser to STFU and concentrate on their own games.

I only got around to watching the other game in our group last night - an absolute cracker with 11 tries that finished: France 46 - 29 South Africa.

France led 36 - 7 at half time but come close to throwing it away as the 'boks came back strongly in the last quarter.

The current u20 back line is the worst I've seen in some time
    Bit harsh.
    Squatter wrote: »
    Not to mention four of five of the Irish players "helping" the referee to make decisions. Very annoying; was that courtesy of POC's coaching, I wonder? They'd all be far wiser to STFU and concentrate on their own games.

I only got around to watching the other game in our group last night - an absolute cracker with 11 tries that finished: France 46 - 29 South Africa.

France led 36 - 7 at half time but come close to throwing it away as the 'boks came back strongly in the last quarter.
    Thats just rubbish especially the comment about O Connell and players.

So its Scotland then Georgia or Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Thats just rubbish especially the comment about O Connell and players.

So which one are you?

fGt_WiseMonkey-all_thb-820x620.jpg

So which one are you?

It is a rubbish comment.

Firstly you seem more concerned on the other gsme and when if that's your basis for O Connells coaching????

There are legitimate gripes about the way we have come out etc but O Connell was renowned for his polite dealing with refs and how he approached the game

So which one are you?

well argued. such well explained and well backed up points...:rolleyes:

Team named for Scotland

15. Michael Silvester (Dublin University/Leinster)
    14. James Hume (Banbridge/Ulster)
    13. Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    12. Peter Sylvester (UCC/Munster)
    11. Tommy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    10. Harry Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
    9. Hugh O'Sullivan (Clontarf/Leinster)
    1. Jordan Duggan (Naas/Leinster)
    2. Diarmuid Barron (Garryowen/Munster)
    3. Joe Byrne (Dublin University/Leinster)
    4. Matthew Dalton (Malone/Ulster)
    5. Jack Dunne (Dublin University/Leinster)
    6. Joe Dunleavy (Malone/Ulster)
    7. Matthew Agnew (Ballymena/Ulster)
    8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College/Leinster) (capt)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (Dublin University/Leinster)
    17. Bryan O'Connor (UCC/Munster)
    18. Jakub Wojtkowicz (Sligo/Connacht)
    19. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
    20. Jack Daly (Garryowen/Munster)
    21. Jonny Stewart (Queen's University/Ulster)
    22. Conor Dean (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    23. Tom Roche (Lansdowne/Leinster)

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hume on the wing? Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

Scotland Team:

1. Sam Grahamslaw - 6'4 and 119kg
    2. Robbie Smith - 5'9 and 108kg
    3. Finlay Richardson - 6'0 and 105kg
    4. Marshall Sykes - 6'6 and 107kg
    5. Jamie Hodgson - 6'6 and 105kg
    6. Martin Hughes - 6'4 and 99kg
    7. Rory Darge - 6'1 and 93kg
    8. Devante Onojaife - 6'4 and 112kg
    9. Charlie Chapman - 5'8 and 78kg
    10. Callum McLelland - 5'10 and 90kg
    11. Kyle Rowe - 5'11 and 88kg
    12. Stafford McDowall - 6'5 and 103kg
    13. Cammy Hutchison - 6'0 and 99kg
    14. Logan Trotter - 6'1 and 88kg
    15. Paddy Dewhirst - 5'11 and 88kg

16. Finlay Scott (Hooker) - 5'10 and 92kg
    17. Murphy Walker (Prop) - 6'1 and 109kg
    18. Ross Dunbar (Prop) - 6'1 and 108kg
    19. Charlie Jupp (Lock) - 6'6 and 95kg
    20. Guy Graham (Back Row) - 6'0 and 103kg
    21. Charlie Gowling (Scrum Half) - 5'8 and 78kg
    22. Ross Thompson (Fly Half) - 6'0 and 82kg
    23. Fraser Strachan (Centre) - 6'2 and 95kg

Michael Lowry has been called up to the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Maybe he can do some creative accounting to keep us in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Really excited by this - one of the most talented schools players I’ve seen and an excellent attackig threat. Of course I’m often wrong on these things, and there are still concerns about his size and kicking. The back line has also been very underwhelming this year. Glad he’s going anyway, after apparently being messed about a little

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Really excited by this - one of the most talented schools players I’ve seen and an excellent attackig threat. Of course I’m often wrong on these things, and there are still concerns about his size and kicking. The back line has also been very underwhelming this year. Glad he’s going anyway, after apparently being messed about a little

Need the pack to step up, not going anywhere unless they scrummage better and get the backs decent and quick ball. Front row under powered against the big guns will learn more after scotland game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Can't seem to find this one on youtube?

clsmooth wrote: »
    Can't seem to find this one on youtube?
    World Rugby are streaming it. Mightnt be available in Ireland though...

We're 7-3 up. try harry byrne after good work by pack

14-3 now. excellent maul then lovely dink by byrne and silvester scores try. 22 minutes gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

It's not available in ireland - Eir Sport have the rights I think. None of my usual streams are working either unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Losing 17-14 and down to 14 men it seems

Advertisement