Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on weights programe

Options
  • 10-07-2017 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

just looking for some advice,using weight machienes the last few months in the gym,the lat pull down,butterfly machiene and the chest press,i started off at a weight of 20 on all these doing two sets of eight but i have now increased this to 3 sets of 10 doing 35 on the chest press 35 on the butterfly machiene and 45 on the lat pull down

to see better effects would i be better to increase my weights and do less sets,i am building strenght but i dont seem to be toning up

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

sanex wrote: »
    lat pull down,butterfly machiene and the chest press

If that's all you're doing then it'll be best to find a balanced programme. You've got the right idea with increasing weight/volume over time though. There are plenty here that can help you develop a decent beginners programme.
    sanex wrote: »
    i am building strenght but i dont seem to be toning up

Without nutritional changes you're unlikely to see much progress at all. Toning up is essentially losing bodyfat so your diet will have to reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Do the gym programme "Starting Strength" or "Stronglifts". Absolute game changers.
    It's a full body routine that works on progressive overload (always improving weights on the bar).
    The most important things at your stage are 1. Consistently 2. Progressive Overload 3. Compound Exercises

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You have a serious addiction to starting threads and ignoring advice: click

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Zillah wrote: »
    You have a serious addiction to starting threads and ignoring advice: click
    Every thread started is a calorie burned, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sanex

cmyk wrote: »
    If that's all you're doing then it'll be best to find a balanced programme. You've got the right idea with increasing weight/volume over time though. There are plenty here that can help you develop a decent beginners programme.

Without nutritional changes you're unlikely to see much progress at all. Toning up is essentially losing bodyfat so your diet will have to reflect that.

thanks for the advice,what other machienes should i start using? the gym i go to has a limited enough selection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sanex

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Do the gym programme "Starting Strength" or "Stronglifts". Absolute game changers.
    It's a full body routine that works on progressive overload (always improving weights on the bar).
    The most important things at your stage are 1. Consistently 2. Progressive Overload 3. Compound Exercises

thanks for the reply, i must check this out

Advertisement