Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No progress after 6 weeks

Options
  • 08-07-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

I've always been pretty fit, doing strength and conditioning type classes in my local gym 3/4 times a week and can run a 5k handy enough I decided to set myself a new challenge and started a 6 week intensive training plan.

I trained 6 days a week, Sundays were the off day, and did interval runs in between on 3 days - sprint 100m, jog/walk back. The training was mainly weight based and the weights did increase so I saw a definite progression there, there was also some core work and a workout at the end so it was a bit like Crossfit lite :D

I wasn't expecting to be ripped after 6 weeks but did expect some improvement as I'd also totally cleaned up my diet and went from eating lots of crap to 3 home cooked meals and 3 healthy snacks each day.

Anyway at the end of the 6 weeks although my measurements and body fat hasn't been re-checked yet, the only result I can see is some tone in my upper arms and my chest has gotten bigger. None of my clothes are looser and as a result of the chest increase, none of my summer dresses now fit :eek:

I'm feeling totally deflated since the workouts were really tough and the number of rounds increased as the weeks went on so some days I was training for 1.5 hours. Surely I should have some noticeable difference after 6 weeks of this :confused:

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hennybug wrote: »
    I've always been pretty fit, doing strength and conditioning type classes in my local gym 3/4 times a week and can run a 5k handy enough I decided to set myself a new challenge and started a 6 week intensive training plan.

I trained 6 days a week, Sundays were the off day, and did interval runs in between on 3 days - sprint 100m, jog/walk back. The training was mainly weight based and the weights did increase so I saw a definite progression there, there was also some core work and a workout at the end so it was a bit like Crossfit lite :D

I wasn't expecting to be ripped after 6 weeks but did expect some improvement as I'd also totally cleaned up my diet and went from eating lots of crap to 3 home cooked meals and 3 healthy snacks each day.

Anyway at the end of the 6 weeks although my measurements and body fat hasn't been re-checked yet, the only result I can see is some tone in my upper arms and my chest has gotten bigger. None of my clothes are looser and as a result of the chest increase, none of my summer dresses now fit :eek:

I'm feeling totally deflated since the workouts were really tough and the number of rounds increased as the weeks went on so some days I was training for 1.5 hours. Surely I should have some noticeable difference after 6 weeks of this :confused:

Any thoughts?

6 weeks is nothing. Relax. What are you trying to do, build muscle or lose weight or get fitter. To me it sounds like you got results. If you grew your arms and chest why would you expect your clothes to be looser?
    I'd say you're totally deflated because you may have believed the "transform your body in 6 weeks" hype this program came with

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can eat healthy meals but eat too much. It could be just a case of tweaking portion control.

But you haven't just wasted 6 weeks. You've just overestimated the results and possibly need to get a better handle on your diet.

But isn't turning your dietary habits around from a crap-based diet to decent food a result in itself?!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I'm just deflated at seeing minimal results from a lot of effort but it was a huge challenge and I relished it. There's a sense of achievement from having done it and by the end of it lifting 3/4 times heavier than where I started and I feel a lot better with my food choices. It's helped kick a sweet tooth as well so there are positives to it. I think my food was pretty balanced I followed the plan which was designed for me based on my stats and workouts and I tracked it on MFP.

I suppose I expected to at least see a start to more leanness and there is none - a broader chest isn't necessarily a good thing for a woman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The difference between getting bigger & fitter and leaner and fitter is all diet.

The likelihood is MFP overestimated calories burned during workouts. The fix is relatively straightforward :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, probably the kick in the ass I needed to keep me going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

You're starting to see results, for real transformation stuff 6 months would be a more realistic target, you're getting there but not yet, keep it up and keep a close eye on nutrition and you'll get there.
    In my experience it took 3 months to see real improvement.
    Have you tracked your weight as well? It can often be an indication of progress.

The important thing is to not feel like it was a wasted endeavour. It clearly wasn't.

I ditched the scales at the start as I didn't want to focus just on the numbers, instead I wanted to get stuck in and focus on the training and cleaning up my eating.

Thanks for the replies, I've totally re-set and am now thinking the end of the year to get real results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

i think of this when people should have a longer term view

keep pushing that rock up the hill and be thankful you can

Id also like to know how many push ups from the floor and pull ups youre doing or aiming for now? They are two simple measures of strength progress

• Advertisement
Advertisement