Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pull-Ups - Best training approach to doing a non assisted pull-up

Options
  • 07-07-2017 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi All
    I am relatively new to the gym again and am looking at doing some pull-ups.
    I am around 73kg and in the gym yesterday I was using the chin-up assist machine, trying to do around 3 sets of 8 pull-ups. I had the weight assist at 32.5kg and I just about managed them.
    So, I am wondering what is the best approach to get to the level of doing non-assisted pull-ups.
    • Continue with the chin assist machine
    • Try inverted rows
    • Assisted pull-up with a chair/bench
    • Negative pull-ups (lift myself above the bar with the aid of a chair or something and slowly lower myself down)
    • Any other options?
    Currently, I attend the gym 4 times a week with the days split as so - legs, back/chest, shoulders, arms. It is fine for the moment as I am just easing myself back into the gym again.
    Should I work on the pull-ups 2/3 times a week and do it before or after I perform my other exercises?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd keep using the assist machine, lowering the assistance as much as possible each time. Every now and then see if you can manage an unassisted pull up. If you can do five sets of one that's a good start. Maybe next time you'll manage sets of two, etc. Intermix the two until you're doing decent sets of unassisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

However you choose to proceed just keep going, pullups are just awesome for so many reasons.

Also, it's hard to beat the feeling you'll get when you walk up to a bar and knock out a few on your own, satisfaction is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Personally I found negatives to be the most beneficial.

You're more focused on the muscles being used and you can get more feedback on where you are in terms of progress. i.e. If you can manage 5 negatives this week and 7 next week you know you're progressing. They're also great for progressive overload even when you can do unassisted pull-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Negatives and pulling prep I can't highlight how important that is and is so ignored. Basically, hang from a bar and do a pull into the shoulders to get stronger in the first portion of the pull which is where most people struggle. You can youtube hanging scapular shrugs to see these. Reverse row sit backs are also a terrific movement for it as well as frenchies do a negative go half way down then try to stop and come back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Starting off, maybe do them 2 of the 4 sessions as it may take a while for your body to get used to getting back into doing weights, when you get stronger, you could do them 3/4 times a week. I think you should also start off doing neutral grip or close grip chin ups, these are far easier than pull ups and will improve your strength and will help get you used to the motion involved. Also, you should start doing push ups (if you haven't already), when I first started doing chin ups, I was doing a lot of push ups so I was able to progress onto pull ups quite quickly. If you struggle doing 5 push ups, you'll struggle with chin and pull ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Can you do a single pull up? If so try a grease the groove approach and do one or 2 between sets of your other exercises every day you train.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

This is a pretty decent video on progressions to unassisted pullups

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This may also be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

+1 for the technique Alf has linked to, I tried that before and it really builds up quickly

Advertisement