Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Labor cost for engine oil and filter change in Galway

Options
  • 06-07-2017 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I already bought engine oil (5L) and oil filter by myself and looking for people who could do it for me in Galway.

Could anyone recommend me where is the reasonable place or mechanics that would not rip me off? And how much for the labor cost as I already bought the oil and filter.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Cant advise on a place as Im not from the area but it shouldnt be more than 1 hrs labour

About 60 Euro would be fair for an Oil change.

You may aswell change your Air filter too while you're at it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

For an indy mechanic about 50 - 60 should do it, as above make sure to do the air filter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Jaysus, a main dealer would do it for €60 of labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

You would have been as well off just buying the oil and filter from the fitter. Never heard of garages just doing labour on an oil and filter.

Don't lots of independents offer oil changes for €99 ish?

If you were willing to pay €60 labour and you spent more than €40 on oil you'll have lost money trying to save money.

You often see threads like these and it rarely saves you to source the parts yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jaysus, a main dealer would do it for €60 of labour.
    Don't forget the sundries the €5 rag €2 for boot wear €3 for gloves and hundred other things :D

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Don't forget the sundries the €5 rag €2 for boot wear €3 for gloves and hundred other things :D

Businesses are fond of making money, I must confess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,445 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some mechanics might not want to use supplied parts, ie if the filter was some low end brand.

Businesses are fond of making money, I must confess :)

That's the reason I do oil changes myself, I can get cheaper rags and gloves and not worried about shoe wear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

either do it your self or get an indy to do it
    they hate people that buy stuff and then ask them to fit and you cause an issue with wheter it was materials or labour that was at fault in the event of an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

OP il beat any labour costs any mechanic quotes you :D

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That's the reason I do oil changes myself, I can get cheaper rags and gloves and not worried about shoe wear ;)

More power to you. Thankfully you aren't trying to keep men in a job from your endeavours :)

More power to you. Thankfully you aren't trying to keep men in a job from your endeavours :)
    The indy up the road gets the more difficult jobs, just left him over 300 this evening for replacing worn parts and putting a cat on another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Don't lots of independents offer oil changes for €99 ish?

If you were willing to pay €60 labour and you spent more than €40 on oil you'll have lost money trying to save money.

You often see threads like these and it rarely saves you to source the parts yourself.
    Sitec wrote: »
    You would have been as well off just buying the oil and filter from the fitter. Never heard of garages just doing labour on an oil and filter.

Or maybe you want use a specific oil of your choice as opposed to being limited by the garages offering and being sure that your car is getting the right oil. Its not always about "saving money"

Also, a lot of garages will do an oil change with supplied oil and parts, not just indys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Tigger wrote: »
    they hate people that buy stuff and then ask them to fit and you cause an issue with wheter it was materials or labour that was at fault in the event of an issue

On the rare occasion I have to use a mechanic, my local independent always suggests I go and get the parts myself.

ION08 wrote: »
    Or maybe you want use a specific oil of your choice as opposed to being limited by the garages offering and being sure that your car is getting the right oil. Its not always about "saving money"

Also, a lot of garages will do an oil change with supplied oil and parts, not just indys.

In my experience, in 99% of circumstances where the customer supplies the parts, it's about saving money.

If you want a specific oil used, any mechanic who is flexible enough to fit supplied parts is probably flexible enough to supply an oil brand/ model of your chosing and as a happy aside, it will probably be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

In my experience, in 99% of circumstances where the customer supplies the parts, it's about saving money.

If you want a specific oil used, any mechanic who is flexible enough to fit supplied parts is probably flexible enough to supply an oil brand/ model of your chosing and as a happy aside, it will probably be cheaper.
    or he'll use the oil he has in the drum and tell you that he used the correct weight of oil or he'll go to the motor factor and take the cheap generic part because that is all they have in stock and he wants to get the car out of the garage and paid for rather than waiting the right part. The same goes for coolant or plugs that have the correct heat ranges on them.

Last year I brought secondhand coil springs to the mechanic not because they were cheaper but because I wanted the car to be 100% stock with the correct weighting for the variant of the model I own.
    More than 1% of customers who bring parts do so because they want the right parts fitted. It is a happy co-incidence that they can usually source them as cheaply or more cheaply than the mechanic.

737max wrote: »
    or he'll use the oil he has in the drum and tell you that he used the correct weight of oil or he'll go to the motor factor and take the cheap generic part because that is all they have in stock and he wants to get the car out of the garage and paid for rather than waiting the right part. The same goes for coolant or plugs that have the correct heat ranges on them.

If you can't trust them to supply the part/ fluid you want fitted, how can you trust that they will correctly fit the parts you supply?

Does honesty and professionally generally waiver for parts supply but become fully restored when it comes to fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Can you ever really know a man?
    I can't trust them because of a fear of a "that will do" attitude that is present in everyone about something which they are not 100% invested in i.e. another person's possession.
    The only good thing about franchise dealers is they'll generally use the right parts because it is the path of least resistance for them(assuming you are willing to pay the labour charges which don't even tally with the set times established by the respective Manufacturer).
    Supplying your own parts removes an element of uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aizennasa

Guys, please just suggest me where to get reliable garage/workshops/individuals for changing the oils for me with my own supplied oil engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Farrell's in Woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

aizennasa wrote: »
    Guys, please just suggest me where to get reliable garage/workshops/individuals for changing the oils for me with my own supplied oil engine.
    Sorry about all the noise postings. Bring your oil and filter to these guys here. It used to be Burbidge Motors but there is a new crowd there now.
    As they are new they will possibly do the work for 50, but ask before committing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How about spending a few Bob on an oil extractor.
    Doing the whole job yourself, and dispose of the used oil at your local ammienty centre.

biko wrote: »
    Sorry about all the noise postings. Bring your oil and filter . It used to be Burbidge Motors but there is a new crowd there now.
    As they are new they will possibly do the work for 50, but ask before committing.

Thanks for that. The reason why I brought my own oil is that there is extra bottle of oil in my office that is suitable for my car's engine, and a filter for Toyota as well.

I do not understand why some of the forumers came out with such assumptions and accusations.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Farrell's in Woodquay.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

If someone came in to where I work and asked to fit oil and filter that was supplied we'd probably charge about €20.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Farrell's in Woodquay.

Cowboys, pulled a fast one in my aunty years ago - she dropped in her 3 year old car for a basic service(oil change), they swapped over her genuine VW hub caps (which retail for about €50 each from VW) for a cheap set of Aldi ones(you know the ones, they usually belong on 15 year old micras), obviously she didn't notice but I did and they made the car look sh!t(ter). It was definitely them but they denied when challenged. Kinda explains why they are able to offer such a cheap service

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Stoolbend wrote: »
    If someone came in to where I work and asked to fit oil and filter that was supplied we'd probably charge about €20.

If you post the name of the place it will be out of business in no time when all the boardsies pull in with their bought on special offer oil and filters :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

aizennasa wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The reason why I brought my own oil is that there is extra bottle of oil in my office that is suitable for my car's engine, and a filter for Toyota as well.

I do not understand why some of the forumers came out with such assumptions and accusations.

Just because it's a Toyota filter, doesn't mean it will fit your car.
    Is it for the same name and model?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Will you be expecting them to look over the suspension, brakes etc for that price or just drop and fill the oil. Is it a service you are looking for? If its just oil you could give it a try yourself? save some Euros

Advertisement