Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WDYTYA S14

Options
  • 06-07-2017 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Back again! Starts tonight at 9pm on BBC1 with Charles Dance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

More here:

421654.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oooh thanks for the reminder.

I'll be on tomorrow for the traditional "it's not real genealogy" moan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sure that's what we do every year! Why break from tradition! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I know I was previously quite dismissive of WDYTYA but I have since watched several from the last series - Danny Dyer, Liz Bonin, Sophie Raworth, Greg Davies, Warwick Davis among them - and I have to admit some of the shows were actually rather good. I won't be watching every episode but here's hoping for some more good stories among them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Ah fekc, just spotted this now and there's no BBC +1:(

Edit - It's repeated on Tuesday so I just set the Sky box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Wow, what an episode! The first half was kinda meh, but the second. I won't spoil it but that ending. Talk about hitting the genealogical mother lode! As well as being as teary-eyed as he was I was so envious. That would be a dream come true for me. If you haven't seen it yet you'll know what I mean when you do. Wow.

Sounds good - roll on Tuesday!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I want to find a magic suitcase like the one his cousin had with the diary and collection of photos - keep you busy for days!!

The Acton story was incredibly sad...

No moaning today: that was a really good episode, properly researched. I did want to know more about the Rowley side of the family.
    There was something about Welsh kings on the first page of that autobiography.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Oh can I just add too - next time I'm in London I'm spending a whole day in that bookstore. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mod9maple wrote:
    Oh can I just add too - next time I'm in London I'm spending a whole day in that bookstore.

Such a delight that it looked like it did and not the redeveloped minimalist horror beside it.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Oh can I just add too - next time I'm in London I'm spending a whole day in that bookstore. :)

you can 'walk' around that shop on their website - Daunt Books, 83 Marylebone High St.

Just managed to catch the episode today, what a great start to the series! It was so close to home for him so understandably emotional. That chest was the stuff of dreams! I keep asking my granny is she absolutely sure we don't have one of those somewhere! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cobham

I missed first episode and someone said it was repeated this Tuesday but I cant find it? perhaps Wimbledon is getting in the way:(

It's technically tonight I think, after midnight?

00:25 Tuesday BBC1 NI

Today's Indo has the time for it as midnight.... and UPC program guide as 00:25.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cobham

I found full episode on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

A very good episode all right, though I would quibble about.........ah I won't spoil it in case someone still has to watch it on their recorder. Dance was definitely quite emotional as anyone would be in the circumstances. Roll on next week.

Nice to see a non-pantomime side of Craig Revel Horwood. Perhaps not the highs of Dance's episode (pardon the pun) but solid enough, 7.5/10.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Aww dang!! I had it on my recorder and now I can't find it. Think I deleted it by mistake. Is it on again this week anyone know, please say it is? :(

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Aww dang!! I had it on my recorder and now I can't find it. Think I deleted it by mistake. Is it on again this week anyone know, please say it is? :(

Tues. 18th July BBC 1 NI 00:00 to 01:00

Thank you Shane. Saved my life.

That was interesting although it's worth noting in llight of the other thread that thepeerage.com, Wikipedia and lots of trees at Ancestry have Sir Malcolm's date of birth a year late! I didn't notice if the programme got it right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have many comments. I knew very little about Clare Balding before this started.

"John Lavery - I think he's famous"

She's never heard of Royal Baking Powder? She's definitely a toff!

Hard to believe someone who is the great-granddaughter of an earl didn't know the stuff about that side of the family but I'm glad they didn't just go for the easy story there. She must have had some idea because she straight away suspected something scandalous about her g grandfather - wouldn't she just google him? I see from that venerable search engine that Clare's brother is an earl too. Also where is the painting that Whistler did for Bullock? Surely that's knocking around still.

The NY stuff was fascinating - and it did seem like she genuinely knew none of that side.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought the letter from the bereaved father to his bereaved son in law was beautiful.

We've lost so much with the loss of letter writing.

Enjoyed the Clare Balding episode very much. Even though she is a toff, she still comes across as a really nice person, and great fun too. Everyone who ever baked a cake has a tin of Royal Baking Powder in their cupboard. Clare Balding must have never baked a cake. She was educated, according to Wiki, at Downe House School, "The core subjects at Downe House are English, Mathematics and Science as well as Humanities, Classics and Social Sciences subjects and there are options such as Fine Arts, Foreign Languages and Business Studies." and "Archetypal traditional girls’ full boarding school turning out delightful, principled, courteous and able girls who go on to make a significant contribution to the world". Those gels were not expected to have to bake their own cakes! :eek: Not a bad series so far.

Very different sort of episode tonight. Nice to see them focus on non-western genealogy - Adil's really a hodge-podge of different countries. Bet his DNA looks interesting.

Tangent: RTE is showing the latest American WDYTYA in the late afternoons at the moment. I've watched Ginnifer Goodwin (lots of crime in her ancestry and drugs), Alfre Woodward (slave ancestors - not your typical story though). Have Bryan Cranston recorded but not watched yet.

And if that wasn't enough: RTE is also showing S13 of the Beeb one right now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Heads-up team: tonight's episode is in Ireland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Watched tonight's episode. Very very interesting. And Mr. Genealogy makes an appearance too! What a thrill!! :D However, it never fails to astound me, the lack of knowledge of Irish/English history that there is in Great Britain! Pity the Luas works took away from what would have been a great view of O'Connell Street.

• Advertisement

Some great contrasting stories in that episode.

Maybe it was because of the Irish content but I really felt the absence of the research in this episode as the records just appeared as if by magic.

Speaking of magic wouldn't it be great if Mr G. was waiting for you every time you visited the Registry of Deeds like the fez-wearing shopkeeper waiting patiently for Mr Benn.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement