Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College and University......the only option

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

thelad95 wrote: »
    Not the only option, but brainwashing young people that Bill Cullen and Mark Zuckerberg didn't finish college and both were at one stage worth eight figures is also wrong. Things become significantly more difficult if you don't have a degree or training of some sort. The vast majority in this category wouldn't have the knowledge or smarts to succeed in any meaningful way and would probably end up in some soul destroying close to minimum wage dredgery for their 'careers'.

I find this train of thought is very particular to Ireland. My partner & I didn't get degrees, worked straight from school then included study when older. We are both doing just fine and enjoy our lives.

Our daughter always wanted to go to uni - she also works part time; our son always said he did not want to go on to uni so is working full time and studying part time..I have no doubt both will do fine.

So many drop out of uni in 1st or 2nd year because it is difficult to know what to do after the huge pressure put on them for the Leaving Cert.

Each to their own...I'd rather my children enjoy what they do and motivate themselves to be happy...a degree does not make everyone happy or good at their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Trades are terribly paid in ireland though,i had 10+ years experience and still earned less per hour than what id have gotten to walk straight into lidl for any starting job

Only i loved my job,suited me and had plenty overtime 70+hours a couple months of the year (no time and half etc though)....id not stuck at it

Recommending lads do apprenticeships without liking their job is as bad as telling lads to head off to college,except much less of a social life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Graduates will owe thousands of euro when they finish college on loans, apprentices won't.
    Most graduates in Ireland do not have to take out loans to fund their undergrad education.
    Education has become too much like a factory conveyor belt, just creating someone for a job. What about building unique, thoughtful individuals and citizens?
    Why would you think they are traits specific to people who aren't educated? Bizarre.

Advertisement