Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 04-07-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Bit of info for you:
    I'm 20 years old
    About 6foot 3 and weigh just short of 17 stone

I was looking for advice on loosing weight and eating properly

My current diet is consume everything so it needs a bit of fixing up .
    I was hoping to become slimmer and lose some weight around my tubby stomach

Basically I am completely clueless and will take on board every piece of advice given

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Check out the stickies at the top of the forum. A lot of great info.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Losing weight will be dictated by your diet. Exercise helps give you more energy to play with, and will improve appearances. But diet is the deciding factor. Keep that in mind.
    At your weight, about 107kg?, you are burning about 2800 calories a day. Slightly over simplifing here but you need to eat less than that 2800 to lose weight (and more to gain weight).
    A good daily target starting out would be 2200.

What's a typical days eating for you?
    What sort of exercise/activity have you in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D97

It's fairly mixed someways good most bad but usually
    Cereal such as coco pops similar
    Homemade dinner
    Then just various snacks and sweets throughout the day
    No real wholesome food other than dinner

Exercise wise I had in mind running but I'm open to suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ditch the cocopops and the sweets.
    A homemade dinner isn't necessarily healthy or conducive to weight loss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bastille

Essentially your food intake / diet, is what i'd consider, the most important part. The building blocks if you'd like.

The common advice, to put it plainly:
    -> Cut out the high sugar foods for the most part
    -> Move away from processed foods
    -> Get some good clean protein sources
    -> Manage your Caloric Intake

Macro tracking isn't for everyone, but I'm a fan. If you download My Fitness Pal it helps a lot with managing what you're eating / how much you're eating.

If its just weight loss you are after then cardio is fine, if you're looking to build strength / muscle then i'd advise getting to a gym if you can.

In terms of exercise, as long as your burning some calories , when you're in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight anyway, so exercise will just help it along. Anything that gets your heart rate up is good.

One of the key things to remember also is there is a big difference between judging your progress by weight lost versus you body fat percentage.

It can be easy to get overwhelmed by all the information and guides online, but trust the process and you'll get results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 HelloMuddha

D97 wrote: »
    Bit of info for you:
    I'm 20 years old
    About 6foot 3 and weigh just short of 17 stone

I was looking for advice on loosing weight and eating properly

My current diet is consume everything so it needs a bit of fixing up .
    I was hoping to become slimmer and lose some weight around my tubby stomach

Basically I am completely clueless and will take on board every piece of advice given

Thanks in advance

The first thing I would suggest is that you don't take on board every piece of advice given (I don't just mean on this thread).

I was in a very similar situation to yourself, 6'3 and 106kgs at my heaviest. I went down to as low as 83kgs and I'm now back up to about 95kgs (by choice).

First thing I did, on the advice of a good coach was get breakfast right. A reasonably high protein breakfast will keep you satiated, avoiding the mid morning snacks etc. Some ideas: eggs, turkey sausages, lambs liver. Get this right for a week. Then aim to make more changes to other meals. Accepting that it's a lifestyle change you need, not just a quick fix "diet" will mean your progress is a bit more linear and sustainable.

Immediate changes:
    -Get breakfast right
    -Drink more water
    -Reduce alcohol intake
    -Increase vegetable intake

Personally I would recommend you look into taking up weight training with a good coach. I know this is my first post but I've been reading this forum, literally for years and have picked up some invaluable advice. If you post up what part of the country you're in someone might be able to recommend a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D97

The first thing I would suggest is that you don't take on board every piece of advice given (I don't just mean on this thread).

I was in a very similar situation to yourself, 6'3 and 106kgs at my heaviest. I went down to as low as 83kgs and I'm now back up to about 95kgs (by choice).

First thing I did, on the advice of a good coach was get breakfast right. A reasonably high protein breakfast will keep you satiated, avoiding the mid morning snacks etc. Some ideas: eggs, turkey sausages, lambs liver. Get this right for a week. Then aim to make more changes to other meals. Accepting that it's a lifestyle change you need, not just a quick fix "diet" will mean your progress is a bit more linear and sustainable.

Immediate changes:
    -Get breakfast right
    -Drink more water
    -Reduce alcohol intake
    -Increase vegetable intake

Personally I would recommend you look into taking up weight training with a good coach. I know this is my first post but I've been reading this forum, literally for years and have picked up some invaluable advice. If you post up what part of the country you're in someone might be able to recommend a coach.

Thanks for all the reply's
    I'm located in kildare myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

D97 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the reply's
    I'm located in kildare myself
    go to my brothers gym in Kildare, consider joining the small groups they have running for pure beginners all the time - https://www.facebook.com/The-Performance-and-Fitness-Academy-257985114224163/

Advertisement