Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor Tournament discussion 2017/18.

Options
  • 03-07-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭

The World Cup of snooker (2 player teams and they play a mix of singles and doubles) is on this week from China, with Eurosport providing a mix of live and recorded coverage.
    Fergal and Ken playing for Ireland, but lost to a strong China team 5-0 in their first group game and will likely have to win their 4 remaining group matches to qualify.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Cup_(snooker)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The China Championship, the second ranking event of the season takes place from Wednesday to Sunday.
    Its starting at the last 64 stage with all the big names taking part and £150K up top.
    Irish interest but two difficult openers for Ken (v Shaun Murphy) and Fergal (v Mark King).
    Selected games live on Eurosport from Wednesday morning onwards.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_China_Championship_(snooker)#Main_draw

Ken beaten 5-4 by Murphy.
    Fergal beat King 5-3 and has a winnable L32 tie against Kurt Maflin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looking at the frame scores, it seems like a game that ken let get away from him, Murphy probably not playing that well.

Gonna be closely monitoring the performances of Hossein Vafaie this year, a young player from Iran (who spent a few years in Ireland) who has shown plenty of promise. Up against Marco Fu later who, though Chinese or Hong Kong at least, has never played that well in events in China, so quite fancy Vafaei to come through this one.

Fergal beat Maflin in the L32 and Alan MacManus 5-4 in the L16.
    £18K locked up which is a great start to the season and a quarter-final against Ali Carter tomorrow.

Zhoe Zelong v Shaun Murphy.
    Ali Carter v Fergal O'Brien.

Ronnie v Luca Brecel.
    Mark Williams v Li Hang.

Following a near 6 hour breeze against Angles McManus yesterday, Fergal unfortunately couldn't get it going today, going down 2-5 to a resurgent Ali Carter. Still a q/f is a very decent showing in a tournament where all the top players showed up. Should get him a few places in the rankings anyway.

• Advertisement

Luca Brecel beat Shaun Murphy 10-5 in todays final, the £150K will shoot him up the rankings.
    First European other than UK&Irish players to win a ranking event.

For a £150k to the winner tournament, found it a bit underwhelming to be honest. It lacked atmosphere which seems to be a general thing for the China based events, a lot of empty seats and people looking bored. One match was even disrupted because of someone yawning audibly in the crowd. Not that Brecel will mind anyway, should help his confidence no end, but he still doesn't convince me that he's anywhere near a top player just yet.

World Open live from Yushan China on Eurosport all this week. Another £150K to the winner event with most of the big names (bar Ronnie) playing.
    Ken the only Irish qualifier, up against Steven Maguire in the L64.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Open_(snooker)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Ding and Kyren Wilson in the final. Of the beaten semi finalists Luca Brecel has impressed and looks to have taken a step forward this season. Mark Allen has played well too. Ding and Wilson though have looked a class above in most of their matches and it should make for a good high quality final.

For the European masters in Belgium the week after next Ken Doherty and Hossein Vafaei have both qualified.

• Advertisement

Thoughts on Kyren Wilsons shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've never seen that before. As far as I know, it's not against the rules. But I wonder will the rules be updated as it's giving the player an advantage?

Nice imagination from Wilson there. I doubt it's something the authorities need to bother themselves about, after all the equipment is there to help the players and why should it matter how they use it? That'd be my thinking anyway.

I wonder what this will do for Ding now. He's the type of player you could see go on a run, rack up a few quick tournaments, and break out of the infuriating inconsistency that dogs a lot of this generation of players. Its never been a question of talent with him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Jaysus Ronnie played unreal stuff today. 98% pot success and over 80% long pots. Hope he can keep it up.

If I picked it up right from the guys in the studio afterwards, O'Sullivan missed 6 pots in total with 4 of them coming in the first frame alone. A total of 6 missed pots in a best of 17 ranking final - thats actually insane, even if pockets are on the generous side these days. I think the money clearly motivates him, it's almost an impossible task but deep down I'm sure he believes he has a sneak at the jackpot. Would be something if he managed to win the Northern Ireland leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ronnie is 40/1 with the bookies to win the million pound bonus.. I havnt seen him as focused in a long time, think he wants that mill badly. Going to put a 5r on it later

Phenomenal stuff from Yan Bingtao today beating Ronnie 6-1. Ronnie didn't do too much wrong and the standard was very high.

Not taking too much away from Yan, but thought Ronnie looked a bit off today myself. When he didn't win the first despite laying a succession of good snookers, had an inkling it mightn't be his day. He's usually up for it when there's good prize money available, but have a feeling he might have that bonus in mind and he has put quite a lot in over recent tournaments. Was a good day to be playing him I think.

Yea, didn't see it but I don't think he's ever that bothered in China. Think they annoyed him over the shoes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Murphy on the verge here to win champions of champions on itv4. Had some run of the ball tonight against Ronnie.

Selby was knocked out wednesday after flying back from his win in China last Sunday. Plays again in China tommorow/tuesday. Then Belfast tournament and the the UK at start of December. Some commuting at the top of the game now especially this time of year.

• Advertisement

9-8 now. Turnaround in fortunes and mentality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I felt Murphy deserved it in the finish and it was nice to see the underdog win.

Murphy definetley deserved to win it, his long shots were unbelievable, at the same time I've never seen someone get lucky so many times in a game. Also never seen Ronnie miss so many 'easy' or straight pots. Really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ronnie's won in China beating Trump in the final, not a shabby start to the seaon for him.

Really thought Ronnie would have a "rest" week this week, but seems cant help himself but keep on winning at the moment. Frames played this week: 50. Frames won: 41. Some going, considering you wouldnt exactly have classed most of his opponents as "numpties".

What channel will the northern Ireland open be on this week guys, Quest again or

What channel will the northern Ireland open be on this week guys, Quest again or

Back to eurosport/quest it is. Shame itv doesn't have more of the rights as really enjoyed their champions of champions coverage.

Looking at the N.Ire draw, I doubt O'Sullivan could have asked for much better. Has a dream run until the last 16 and, on seeding, would be facing K.Wilson for a place in the last 8 and likely get tougher from there. Only thing I foresee is the increased focus on the £1m bonus which is the kind of thing that could drive him bonkers, but a fascinating prospect nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Presume the waterfront is a better venue this year. The Titanic convention hall had a serious failing by having a fair bit of background noise every so often when planes took off from the Harbour airport. A no-no for snooker but the players persevered.

Will get up to it once or twice this week, easy and cheap enough to get up there to catch a few matches.

• Advertisement

Presume the waterfront is a better venue this year. The Titanic convention hall had a serious failing by having a fair bit of background noise every so often when planes took off from the Harbour airport. A no-no for snooker but the players persevered.

Will get up to it once or twice this week, easy and cheap enough to get up there to catch a few matches.

How much are the tickets to the semis? Was onthe world snooker website but couldn't find prices.

Advertisement