Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midon tablets /low bp/weight gain

Options
  • 03-07-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi looking for help anyone on midon tanlets for low blood pressure and found themselfs gaining weight iv a good diet and exercise threw the week.have never had problem loosing weight b4 but now iv gained 2 stone in the past few months and hav found i cant shift it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have low blood pressure and when I was diagnosed my GP said he wasn't going to prescribe meds as a lot of them had weight gain as the number one side effect (and he said that because my dizzy spells were only a few seconds long each time it wasn't worth taking pills.

Also I am on a weightloss journey so I didn't want to take tablets thay could lead to weight gain BUT if my dizzy episodes lasted longer I would have been given Midon.

In a nutshell, could you ask your GP if there are other tablets out there that wouldn't cause weight gain?

I was just told to increase my salt intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Has your gp looked at what's causing your low bp rather than putting you on meds?

Low blood pressure can be treated with hydration and salt-lack of enough salt in your body sometimes means your system can't hold onto the hydration so you do need to balance both.

Perhaps though as I said finding the cause of it might help more than just taking meds if it is having side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lisawhelan

Hi thanks so much for gettin back to me.no one advised me that there would b weight gain.i did go down the root of more salt etc. Because my dizzy spells were happening to often amd i had a black out,and both times i had the 24hr monitor my bp never rose over bn low. they put me on these tablets for 6 months.
    Im not back in hosp till sept bit cant go on like this im 2 stone heavier and feel crappy for the weight gain. They have me on 3 tablets a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

lisawhelan wrote: »
    Hi thanks so much for gettin back to me.no one advised me that there would b weight gain.i did go down the root of more salt etc. Because my dizzy spells were happening to often amd i had a black out,and both times i had the 24hr monitor my bp never rose over bn low. they put me on these tablets for 6 months.
    Im not back in hosp till sept bit cant go on like this im 2 stone heavier and feel crappy for the weight gain. They have me on 3 tablets a day.

Go and see your gp and talk to him/her. You don't have to wait and see the hospital doctor.

Out of interest is there any particular time you get the dizzy spells? And when they did the monitor did they track your heart rate?

All diff times it would happen,it started when i was preg on my last child and never left and thats 3 years ago now and yep they checked my heart rate that all came back fine.] Im ringin doc tomorro. No point me battlin in the gym if im goina keep gaining... will hav to try something else.
    Iv weight issues as it is,id b afraid id end up with diabeties if i keep gainin

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    I have low blood pressure and when I was diagnosed my GP said he wasn't going to prescribe meds as a lot of them had weight gain as the number one side effect (and he said that because my dizzy spells were only a few seconds long each time it wasn't worth taking pills.

Also I am on a weightloss journey so I didn't want to take tablets thay could lead to weight gain BUT if my dizzy episodes lasted longer I would have been given Midon.

In a nutshell, could you ask your GP if there are other tablets out there that wouldn't cause weight gain?

I was just told to increase my salt intake.

Did just the salt intake work for u r are u doing anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

lisawhelan wrote: »
    Did just the salt intake work for u r are u doing anything else

Just the salt. Seems to be working. Haven't had a dizzy spell in weeks and I had been having them every single time I stood up from sitting or from lying down.
    I feel great now.

Advertisement