Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy new home

Options
  • 02-07-2017 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello

Looking for a bit of advise if anyone one can help?

We bought a semi detached house last xmas in Galway. Although the house was finished very well. The house isnt sound proofed very well. We can hear the next door neighbours showing talking. If they have people over we can hear them chatting in there sitting room from our bedroom.

Im really disappointed and not sure what can be done. They had a house party a few weeks back and it was hell we in fear of the next one.

I have been told to contact a architect to see if a solution can be designed.

Am i wasting my time? Am I better of selling up taking a loss and moving on?

Any suggestions help would be appreciated?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did you buy the house brand new?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

No we bought it 2nd hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Is it timber frame? Not entirely uncommon with timber framed houses...particularly those built during the "celtic tiger" in my experience.

As to what can be done, there are options but it depends on the construction.

If you get up to your attic, what is the construction if the wall separating your attic from the neighbours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No we bought it 2nd hand

Then not a lot you can do now other than address the problem yourselves.
    Get someone in to see about installing sound insulation but you will loose floor space. Maybe chat to the neighbours and ask them if it has been an issue over time with previous owners etc and see if you guys can work out a course of works on both sides.

It will be very hard, time consuming and expensive to properly dampen out the sound transfer at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Hello

Looking for a bit of advise if anyone one can help?

We bought a semi detached house last xmas in Galway. Although the house was finished very well. The house isnt sound proofed very well. We can hear the next door neighbours showing talking. If they have people over we can hear them chatting in there sitting room from our bedroom.

Im really disappointed and not sure what can be done. They had a house party a few weeks back and it was hell we in fear of the next one.

I have been told to contact a architect to see if a solution can be designed.

Am i wasting my time? Am I better of selling up taking a loss and moving on?

Any suggestions help would be appreciated?

You're wasting your time. You can waste thousands of euros trying to insulate the partition wall. It won't work. Sell up and buy detached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    Get someone in to see about installing sound insulation but you will loose floor space. Maybe chat to the neighbours and ask them if it has been an issue over time with previous owners etc and see if you guys can work out a course of works on both sides.

It will be very hard, time consuming and expensive to properly dampen out the sound transfer at this stage though.

The other issue is that it is now in your heads so very difficult to sort out. Don't underestimate the psychological aspect of this problem and the potential damage to /strain on your relationship
    Sound related sleep and enjoyment of your house deprivation, including waiting for the next sound/party from next store will drive you mad so pack up and go if you can.

You can spend 1,000's on this and still you will hear stuff.
    I have had an interest in sound attenuation techniques since 1974 so I have heard it all so to speak.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Is it timber frame? Not entirely uncommon with timber framed houses...particularly those built during the "celtic tiger" in my experience.

As to what can be done, there are options but it depends on the construction.

If you get up to your attic, what is the construction if the wall separating your attic from the neighbours?
    No its not a timber frame. I have attached an image of the separating wall in the attic in an attachment to this post.
    Any suggestions are well?

No we bought it 2nd hand

Who would carry out such work? A builder/ architect? Any recommendations in the galway area? I would like to get a quote to see at least.

The other issue is that it is now in your heads so very difficult to sort out. Don't underestimate the psychological aspect of this problem and the potential damage to /strain on your relationship
    Sound related sleep and enjoyment of your house deprivation, including waiting for the next sound/party from next store will drive you mad so pack up and go if you can.

You can spend 1,000's on this and still you will hear stuff.
    I have had an interest  in sound attenuation techniques since 1974 so I have heard it all so to speak.

I understand the psychological aspect of this problem. But its not as easy as sell up and move on. We might be able to sell it but house prices are on the rise consistently. It would most likely but us back on the rental market for a while.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,163 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No its not a timber frame. I have attached an image of the separating wall in the attic in an attachment to this post.

When you knock on the party wall in the house does it sound hollow or solid?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

Wont be able to check that until later today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

That is a 215mm wide block on flat and is about as good as it gets with regard to sound in a semi-D. Best you can do is batten/insulated plasterboard on your side.

It sounds like you may simply have particularly noisy neighbours..

Compared to the chimney breast and the external wall. The party wall sounds quite solid

That is a 215mm wide block on flat and is about as good as it gets with regard to sound in a semi-D. Best you can do is batten/insulated plasterboard on your side.

It sounds like you may simply have particularly noisy neighbours..
    I would agree with you on the noisy neightbours. Would the insulated plasterboard be a job a builder or who could complete this job? Can any one provide any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I would agree with you on the noisy neightbours. Would the insulated plasterboard be a job a builder or who could complete this job? Can any one provide any recommendations?

Strong advice is to ask an architect with expertise in acoustics to survey your house before you waste money.

Strong advice is to ask an architect with expertise in acoustics to survey your house before you waste money.
    Ok will do thanks for the advise

You can pay all the mula you like for surveys and such like, but what you will not get is a warranty that the the noise level will be reduced to a certain dB or dBa level after the work unless the work is much more than a bit of remedial work.

maybe as a first baby step to figure out if the problem is partially psychological .... download a sound meter onto your phone and just record what decibel level your getting at a normal time, when the tv is on next door and they are chatting..

and please post the result here.

maybe as a first baby step to figure out if the problem is partially psychological .... download a sound meter onto your phone and just record what decibel level your getting at a normal time, when the tv is on next door and they are chatting..

This post is not helpful

You can pay all the mula you like for surveys and such like, but what you will not get is a warranty that the the noise level will be reduced to a certain dB or dBa level after the work unless the work is much more than a bit of remedial work.
    What do you mean by this? What work? I've been looking for help from this form but all I get is vague answers. Please provide specifics. Thanks

• Advertisement

This post is not helpful

????

why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

taken from diy site. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/soundproofing-party-walls-does-it-work-t35400.html

I too have sufferred from noisy neighbours and have a very poorly insulated house especially the party walls (breeze block and dot & dab plasterboard) not good!
    I purchased the 20mm thick rubber resilient panels(approx £32)each 1 metre square,these were glued to the wall using very high strength spray adhesive,make sure you cover every inch and tuck it right into the corners,you will need a good stanley knife and several blades for cutting.
    Then on top of this i used the same adhesive to put up 2 layers of sound board 12.5mm thick this board is heavier to work with (about 25kg each) but is much denser than normal plasterboard and is therfore better for sound proofing. note:the second layer should not line up to the first,so its better to overlap the joints.

I used the acoustic sealant around the edges top,bottom and all sides. you can buy it from wickes for about £5.99 each it must be the one with fire retardent properties upto 4 hour rating.(the plasterboard must be 5mm off the floor sides and ceiling) use spacers on the bottom and just use your eye for the sides.

To finish it off i put a layer of skim coating plaster on about 3mm thick which i done myself although i had not plastered before, i went on a 1 day course (£75) to learn how to do it and it mainly gives you confidence to have a go while picking a professionals brain.

I used the same method on the bedroom and living room and also the 2 outer walls in these 2 rooms and the improvement has been wonderful,it has made so much difference that now we will not be moving.Before we could hear talking,tv, phone ringing( i could tell you there ringtone no prob!) i even used to get woken up by there morning alarm clock(yes that bad) but now i cant hear the tv (ever) no talking or alarm clocks. The only noise heard is if they argue and really shout or the kids are shouting/screaming but that is at an acceptable level like most semi/terraced houses.

OK so there it is just wanted to let you know what worked for me,it does take a little research and patience but it is something you can do step by step and improve the quality of your home life,personally i was so wound up by the neighbours i used it as fuel to push on and get it done and moving was not an option due to the state of the current mortgage and housing market,also the house next door is a 4 bed and it is rented so there will nearly always be a family of at least 2 kids or more.

Let me know how you get on,if you try this method there are a few good sites online where you can buy the stuff( although i dont want to say because of the forum and advertising etc) and i am not in the trade or advertising myself. The boards and sealant you can get from local builders merchants.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This post is not helpful

I think you're misunderstanding the post.

The industry measures sound in decibels. Any remedial specification of works should indicate the decibel improvement required. In order to do this you need a back stop value.

You've subsequently asked for specifics. You bought an second hand house. Be prepare for major remedial works, that cannot be guaranteed. After that get a site survey to ascertain what can realiatically be achieved. How much more specific do you want us to be on a public forum without specific construction details and actual noise data?

Sculdugery wrote: »
    taken from diy site. http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/soundproofing-party-walls-does-it-work-t35400.html

I too have sufferred from noisy neighbours and have a very poorly insulated house especially the party walls (breeze block and dot & dab plasterboard) not good!
    I purchased the 20mm thick rubber resilient panels(approx £32)each 1 metre square,these were glued to the wall using very high strength spray adhesive,make sure you cover every inch and tuck it right into the corners,you will need a good stanley knife and several blades for cutting.
    Then on top of this i used the same adhesive to put up 2 layers of sound board 12.5mm thick this board is heavier to work with (about 25kg each) but is much denser than normal plasterboard and is therfore better for sound proofing. note:the second layer should not line up to the first,so its better to overlap the joints.

I used the acoustic sealant around the edges top,bottom and all sides. you can buy it from wickes for about £5.99 each it must be the one with fire retardent properties upto 4 hour rating.(the plasterboard must be 5mm off the floor sides and ceiling) use spacers on the bottom and just use your eye for the sides.

To finish it off i put a layer of skim coating plaster on about 3mm thick which i done myself although i had not plastered before, i went on a 1 day course (£75) to learn how to do it and it mainly gives you confidence to have a go while picking a professionals brain.

I used the same method on the bedroom and living room and also the 2 outer walls in these 2 rooms and the improvement has been wonderful,it has made so much difference that now we will not be moving.Before we could hear talking,tv, phone ringing( i could tell you there ringtone no prob!) i even used to get woken up by there morning alarm clock(yes that bad) but now i cant hear the tv (ever) no talking or alarm clocks. The only noise heard is if they argue and really shout or the kids are shouting/screaming but that is at an acceptable level like most semi/terraced houses.

OK so there it is just wanted to let you know what worked for me,it does take a little research and patience but it is something you can do step by step and improve the quality of your home life,personally i was so wound up by the neighbours i used it as fuel to push on and get it done and moving was not an option due to the state of the current mortgage and housing market,also the house next door is a 4 bed and it is rented so there will nearly always be a family of at least 2 kids or more.

Let me know how you get on,if you try this method there are a few good sites online where you can buy the stuff( although i dont want to say because of the forum and advertising etc) and i am not in the trade or advertising myself. The boards and sealant you can get from local builders merchants.
    Im no handyman or builder. But thanks for your post

I give up. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this form.

Sculdugery wrote: »

One of the finest contributions I have read on boards, ever, period.

Thank you, kind Sir/Madam for posting it in such detail:
    1. identify the problem,
    2. research it,
    3. do the work and
    4. report the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

Sculdugery, I think what Samandfrank really want is someone like you who will physically resolve their problem with no input from him. Your post is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Delphinium wrote: »
    Sculdugery, I think what Samandfrank really want is someone like you who will physically resolve their problem with no input from him. Your post is superb.
    Unless I've misunderstood, Sculdugery just copy/pasted somebody else's post from another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

OP st gobian / gypsum run a 6 hour free CPD course on Acoustics in buildings in their technical academy I was on it recently I have the slides at work it will give you an idea of what you need to be looking at I'll PM them to you if you want.

Advertisement