Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports Revamp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

I presume you need to have the basic entertainment package first and then add on whatever sports ones you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Are Action and Arena replacing SS Mix? Just wondering what Virgin customers will get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What is the point of the main event channel if all it will do is simulcast live events from other channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

So Main Event will only be available to be viewed by customers who take all the channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

So Main Event will only be available to be viewed by customers who take all the channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

People used to going to 401 for the soccer....if they do that without subbing to ALL sports channels they will see an upgrade message as they wont have channel 401 without all channels being subbed to. They will have to switch the PL channel. It just sounds like an annoyance channel to encourage people to sub to ALL the channels so they also get this 401 channel as a "bonus" so they can always have quick access ot the "main event" from across all channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

10 Channels so 2 new channels basically.

SS 1-5 plus sports mix,f1, sports news = 8

Delta2113 wrote: »
    10 Channels so 2 new channels basically.

SS 1-5 plus sports mix,f1, sports news = 8

PL
    Football
    Cricket
    Golf
    F1
    Action
    Arena
    Main Event
    News
    Mix

Edit - although there's no mention of Mix (or am I just missing it?)

So comparing old with new:-

SS1 PL
    SS2 Football
    SS3 Cricket
    SS4 Golf
    SS5 -pick from one from 3 Action,Arena,Main Event leaving 2 new channels.
    F1 F1
    News News
    Mix Mix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Just on the phone to SKY to cancel the sports, and the lady said this new revamp is UK only and that in Ireland nothing changes except the channel names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just on the phone to SKY to cancel the sports, and the lady said this new revamp is UK only and that in Ireland nothing changes except the channel names.

That doesnt make sense though surely.

From the legal section:

"Main Even Channel is a bonus channel showing live content from the other Sky Sports channels at the same time as it is available on such channels. Only available with the Sky Sports complete pack."

What is the point of this channel if you can watch them on the channel they are on? I don't get it.

Ludo wrote: »

I saw this thread earlier, which reminded me to cancel because I never watch Sky Sports yet pay trough the nose for it. I mentioned the revamp on the phone and the lady said that it wasn't happening in Ireland. So I thought its worth a mention here.

Make of it what you will but that's what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Just cancelled my sports this morning to see if there is a half price deal in autumn and don't mind missing a bit of the start of the season.

No sure its much of a change, its a difficult problem to give cheaper price for a cut of the options without cannibalizing your own customers who pay full price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ludo wrote: »

To possibly put it better - the agent appears to be telling the OP that tiered pricing won't be available to ROI customers (i.e it will be all or nothing).

Of course the content and EPG changes all effect ROI too.

Sky Sports Mix is moving to 121 in the entertainment section incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Assuming it'll still be SD as standard?

I saw this thread earlier, which reminded me to cancel because I never watch Sky Sports yet pay trough the nose for it. I mentioned the revamp on the phone and the lady said that it wasn't happening in Ireland. So I thought its worth a mention here.

Make of it what you will but that's what she said.

When you say the revamp isn't happening here, is that just the ability to get 1 or 2 channels or the whole renaming and The addition of Action/Arena?

From the legal section:

"Main Even Channel is a bonus channel showing live content from the other Sky Sports channels at the same time as it is available on such channels. Only available with the Sky Sports complete pack."

What is the point of this channel if you can watch them on the channel they are on? I don't get it.

Bit like having the same match on Sky Sports 1 and 5 which has happened plenty -election coverage on Sky News and Sky Arts, Soccer AM on Sky Sports and Sky One -probably more examples.

When you say the revamp isn't happening here, is that just the ability to get 1 or 2 channels or the whole renaming and The addition of Action/Arena?

The revamp is happening here. The tiered pricing may or may not be (but I suspect Sky's Irish customer contact team may not actually know, judging from the Talk To Sky forum).

Don't know, she just said the advertised revamp is UK only. I was cancelling so didn't really inquire as to the specifics of it because I wont be subscribing anyway.

• Advertisement

One other thing - it appears that Sky Sports News will be dropping the silly "HQ" it gained at the last rebrand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

So the revamp means nothing to Irish subscribers?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Any deal offerred to you to stay or any enticement...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Wonder whats the story with the 3pm matches. Surely there's an irish version of Sky Sports PL that they can put on the 3pm game?

Any deal offered to you to stay or any enticement...

Haha yes! a massive €6 off a €97 bill... sure jaysus I don't know where they do be pullin such great offers from:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

mikeym wrote: »
    So the revamp means nothing to Irish subscribers?

Irish prices will be unveiled on the 15th according to someone on the sky section of this site.

EDIT- sky representative seems to be saying no change for Ireland. Take them all or take none of them. They must be worried about people dropping cricket.

If that's to be the case I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. There's little or no market for a cricket channel in Ireland. A lot of people might also be tempted to drop F1 while the races remain on C4 and Eir Sport. And golf is also not a huge subscription driver (no pun intended).

That said, let's hear the arguments as to why, for a large chunk of fans who only want the Premier League, why the entry point of Sky Sports in Ireland should be double the UK entry price.

icdg wrote: »
    That said, let's hear the arguments as to why, for a large chunk of fans who only want the Premier League, why the entry point of Sky Sports in Ireland should be double the UK entry price.
    Indeed. Streaming is a huge issue and I think they seriously need to look at their pricing to combat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Haha yes! a massive €6 off a €97 bill... sure jaysus I don't know where they do be pullin such great offers from:P

The best deals arrive when you've completely ended your service. GIve 30 days notice and call Sky the day it's switched off to get it put back on and usually at a 50% discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Any link to tiered pricing?

Advertisement