Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have a cheque or draft question?

Options
  • 27-06-2017 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We've been getting a few queries on cheques recently so we thought it would be useful to put up some general information about cheques and hopefully this can be some help to all of you.

Clearance times:

• Cheques from the same branch that they are lodged can take up to two days.
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Cheques from another Bank of Ireland branch can take up to three working days.[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Cheques from any other Banks can take up to five working days.[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Cheques from outside the Republic of Ireland may take longer.[/font]

Standard Cheques (Does not have an account payee only on cheque and is not crossed):[/font]
    • If the cheque is made out to one person it can be lodged into a joint account once it is endorsed (Endorsed means that the person who the cheque is made out to signs the back of the cheque and confirm the account number that the cheque is being lodged into).
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The cheque can be lodged into a third party account once the cheque has been endorsed.[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The cheque can only be cashed in the branch it was drawn on and you must have photo ID and all criteria must be met (ie cleared funds available, no stops and correctly signed and completed).[/font]

Crossed cheques (two parallel lines written or printed anywhere on the cheque):

• All rules would be the same as a Standard Cheque, Apart from it can only be lodged into an account and cannot be cashed in any branch of Bank of Ireland.

Account Payee only (This would be said after the payee name on the cheque):

• A cheque made payable to one person can be lodged in to a joint account once it has been endorsed by the person who the cheque is made payable too.
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]If the cheque is made payable to two people this will need to lodged to a joint account in both people's names.
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The cheque cannot be lodged into a third party account (even if it is endorsed).
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The cheque cannot be cashed in any branch.[/font]

Bank Drafts:
    • Bank Drafts must be lodged to accounts as if they are crossed cheques.
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]The clearance time for drafts is five working days.
    Other questions:

[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]If you have a cheque in your married name and your account is in your maiden name, in most cases this can be lodged once the customer brings some Photo ID and their marriage certificate.[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Social Welfare cheques can only be cashed in the Post Office (with a maximum amount of 1200.00). The sort code on these cheques do relate to O'Connell St but this is purely for processing reasons and these cheques cannot be cashed in this or any branch of Bank of Ireland.[/font]

If you have any further queries please get in contact with us here.

Thank you,

Darren.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 briankell74

Hi Darren
    Can you tell if i can cancel a credit card payment i made today ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi Darren
    Can you tell if i can cancel a credit card payment i made today ????
    Hi briankell74,

Thanks for your message.

We have received your private message and answered this question there.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

Hi,

Can you advice here. I will need to bring a bank draft for 11.500 euro to solicitor next Tuesday to cover rest of deposit sum of the purchase house.

Will there be any problem to do it in one go?

sabinalee wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you advice here. I will need to bring a bank draft for 11.500 euro to solicitor next Tuesday to cover rest of deposit sum of the purchase house.

Hi sabinalee,

Thanks for your message.

You don't need to order a Euro currency Bank Draft once the funds are available in your account you will be able to purchase this draft with a cashier in a branch of Bank of Ireland. I have given a link here that will give all the opening hours and cash service hours for any of our branches.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sabinalee

Hi,

Hi sabinalee,

Thanks for your message.

You don't need to order a Euro currency Bank Draft once the funds are available in your account you will be able to purchase this draft with a cashier in a branch of Bank of Ireland. I have given a link here that will give all the opening hours and cash service hours for any of our branches.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi,

Can you tell me how much is the charge of the draft with this amount ?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi,

Hi sabinalee,

Thanks for your message.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Hi,

Can you tell me how much is the charge of the draft with this amount ?

Thank you
    Hi sabinalee, the charge for a domestic bank draft is 2.40 each.

We've some more information on charges here.

Good luck with the new house :) and please let me know if you need anything else, thanks.
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mrsjo

Hi,

I lodged an endorsed cheque to my account 6 days ago through your lodgement machines but it is not showing up on my account. Its like it was never lodged but I have a receipt for it.

Mrsjo wrote: »
    Hi,

I lodged an endorsed cheque to my account 6 days ago through your lodgement machines but it is not showing up on my account. Its like it was never lodged but I have a receipt for it.
    Hi Mrsjo,

Thanks for contacting us through Boards.

If the cheque has not shown in your account it may mean that there was an issue with the cheque. In the case the cheque would usually be sent back to the address registered on the account that was cheque was lodged to with a letter explaining why the it wasn't able to be lodged. If you have not received the cheque back in the post yet. Please raise this through the "Ask a question" section of your 365 online profile or call 0818 365 365 and the advisers in either of these sections will be able to have a further look into this for you.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Can I lodge a US Dollar cheque at an ATM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi terenurebob,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

You will have to lodge it into your account.

Please see your nearest branch here.

Thanks

Kareana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 roryhayden

Hi There,

I lodged a cheque via ATM last friday at around 4pm, the balance appeared immediately in the account however I realise I cannot access the funds until the cheque clears, my question is this, what is the absolute latest the funds will be accessible? will it be Friday or potentially Monday?

Many thanks,
    R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

roryhayden wrote: »
    Hi There,

I lodged a cheque via ATM last friday at around 4pm, the balance appeared immediately in the account however I realise I cannot access the funds until the cheque clears, my question is this, what is the absolute latest the funds will be accessible? will it be Friday or potentially Monday?

Many thanks,
    R.
    Hi roryhayden,

Welcome to Boards, and thanks for your post.

As you lodged your cheque at the close of business on Friday, it may not have been sent for clearing until Monday.

It takes 3 - 5 full business days to clear on your account. You can check it on Friday, however the earliest we'd expect it to clear would be the following Monday.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
    Jane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

How much does it cost to cancel a cheque please?

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    How much does it cost to cancel a cheque please?

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here.

Can I ask if you are cancelling this cheque through a business account or a personal account?

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

Is it possible to search for all payments made to a particular destination/account over the previous 12 months? I'm just trying to establish how much I have paid to a company without having to laboriously go through 12 months statements.

John

bimlico wrote: »
    Is it possible to search for all payments made to a particular destination/account over the previous 12 months? I'm just trying to establish how much I have paid to a company without having to laboriously go through 12 months statements.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in contact with us through Boards.ie.

You can filter your transactions over the last year through the "Statements" section of your 365 online profile.
    You can't however filter for a specific person or company payments but you would be able to filter through the following options.

Direct Debits/Credits
    Contactless
    ATM
    Lodgements/Credits
    Credit transfers
    Cheques
    Other Debits
    Cash withdrawals

This may make the search for these transactions a bit easier. You can choose from these filters by clicking on the "Statements" tab on your 365 home page and the selecting the advanced button, you'll then be given a drop down menu with all the filter options given above.

I hope this is some help and thanks again for getting in touch with us.
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EZ26

Hi, is it true that if I lose the bank draft to pay the closing of a property purchase I have to wait 6 years before to get the money back?

Thanks

Hi Ez26,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

This wouldn't be true, if you lose a draft you would need to go into the branch and report it lost or stolen.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks,

Kareana

Hi Kareana,

thanks for your reply. I was reading online that if you lose it you can go to report it as lost or stolen and ask for another one. The problem is that you have to sign an indemnity that says you are liable if someone is able to use it and that only after 6 years you are safe.

Is that so? 

Thanks

Hi EZ26,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you leave this with me and I will double check this for you and get back to you as soon as possible here on Boards.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Advertisement

Sure thanks!

Hi EZ26,

I am sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I have checked this with our procedures team and we are unsure what you mean by 6 years as it does not state this anywhere on the indemnity form.

Can you tell me where you got this information from please?

The indemnity form would be filled in by yourself if the draft was lost and it would be replaced by a new one.

Thanks,

Kareana

oh ok, I found that on the internet so for sure a less reliable information than the official source

Thanks for investigating this

• Registered Users Posts: 1 afr2017

Hi there,
    I have a Euro cheque drawn on uk bank to lodge into my Euro account.
    Can you please advise how long the clearance on this is please?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi afr2017,

Thanks for your post.

A cheque drawn on a UK bank can take 4-6 weeks to clear on your account.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikeyh88

Hey.

I am being paid by one your customers tonight by bank draft.

Is there anyway of authenticating it's a genuine draft there and then ?

Mikeyh88 wrote: »
    Hey.

I am being paid by one your customers tonight by bank draft.

Is there anyway of authenticating it's a genuine draft there and then ?

Hi Mickeyh88,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

The only way of checking if a draft was valid is to lodge it directly into your account and your bank will then be able to make the necessary checks to make sure the draft is valid.

Thanks again for the message.
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Hi there

I have 2 cheques issued to me from the national lottery. The bank attached to it is BOI O'Connell st.

I don't have an account in BOI but if I went into any BOI branch, would they cash it there and then for me?

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

cruais wrote: »
    Hi there

I have 2 cheques issued to me from the national lottery. The bank attached to it is BOI O'Connell st.

I don't have an account in BOI but if I went into any BOI branch, would they cash it there and then for me?

Many thanks

Hi cruais,

Thanks for your post.

If the cheques are crossed or have Account Payee only you will need to lodge this to an account in your name.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Got55

Hello I lodged a cheque i received as a present in the lodgement atm in boi eyresquare, my name wasn’t written on it so I got a call saying it would be sent back to me via post.. this was 10 days ago. I was wondering how long will this take to get back?

Advertisement