Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Dublin for people who hate gyms

Options
  • 27-06-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi...can anyone recommend a place in Dublin that might work for me? I used to be a member of Curves back in the day and loved it...very basic circuit training, could work at my own pace, no large mirrors or scarily fit people to rub it in how out-of-shape I am. Looking to start exercising again but they don't have a franchise open anywhere near me. I live in Dublin 5 and work in Dublin 2 so near either of those would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Luis21

Flyefit have a gym on Baggot Street (over Tesco). Its decent enough for 29 quid a month. No mirrors all over the place and a fairly relaxed feel to it. Loads of classes included in the price. All ages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

http://andykennyfitness.ie would be a good fit for you, based in D2. I'm a former member, probably a future member too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Luis21 wrote: »
    Flyefit have a gym on Baggot Street (over Tesco). Its decent enough for 29 quid a month. No mirrors all over the place and a fairly relaxed feel to it. Loads of classes included in the price. All ages too.

That's unbelievable for Baggot Street. I do believe you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're going to find fit people in any gym though. Instead you should really learn to ignore them and realise you're both just there for a work out and have nothing to do with each other.

Flyefit has branches on George's St, Macken St, Baggot St, and Portobello. George's St is the gay one (seriously, like, 40% gay Brazilian men), Macken St is the macho one, Portobello is the yuppie one and I've never been to Baggot.

Zillah wrote: »
    You're going to find fit people in any gym though. Instead you should really learn to ignore them and realise you're both just there for a work out and have nothing to do with each other.

Totally agree, as someone once said there is always someone funnier, sexier, more intelligent, wealthier, fitter etc that you are. Ya just gotta get on with it.
    Flyefit has branches on George's St, Macken St, Baggot St, and Portobello. George's St is the gay one (seriously, like, 40% gay Brazilian men), Macken St is the macho one, Portobello is the yuppie one and I've never been to Baggot.

That's quite funny. Just hop over to the famous gay bar on Georges street after the workout. Pumped up. Ditto yuppie bar on Portobello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ditto yuppie bar on Portobello.

There's a 'yuppie' bar on Portobello?

There's a 'yuppie' bar on Portobello?

Haven't a clue. I don't even know where Portobello is. Think it's some trendy spot in London somewhere or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Twenty10 wrote: »
    http://andykennyfitness.ie would be a good fit for you, based in D2. I'm a former member, probably a future member too!

I'd second this.

30 minute classes. You're told what to do and motivated by the coaches.

The booking system is online. Weights classes have about 6 people so they can focus on your form or spot you for heavy sets. Cardio have about 15.

eeguy wrote: »
    30 minute classes. You're told what to do and motivated by the coaches.

I bet if you've only got 30 minutes and your told what to do by the coaches and your paying for it, then that would be enough to move your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

OP I would just like to say as a guy who was at one point a tiny scrap of a thing I understand that gym lads can be intimidating. It's best to remember that they literally don't care about you. Full stop. Just throw on the headphones and work away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is Flyefit Macken street really that bad for the posers/macho guys? I'm considering joining a gym in town and was looking at that one. Is there a mixture of all shapes and sizes in there? I'm out of shape and could do with loosing about 4 stone!

It has a slightly higher percentage of the larger showyoffy types. It doesn't matter. You're there for your work out, they don't care about you and you shouldn't care about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Zillah wrote: »
    It has a slightly higher percentage of the larger showyoffy types. It doesn't matter. You're there for your work out, they don't care about you and you shouldn't care about them.
    How is it between 7-8am and 6-7pm. Is it oversubscribed or just ok?

Sir Dosser wrote: »

I've never been to a gym before lunch in my life :D

But 6-7 is pretty jammers alright. Monday is the busiest and Friday the least in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

liselle81 wrote: »
    Hi...can anyone recommend a place in Dublin that might work for me? I used to be a member of Curves back in the day and loved it...very basic circuit training, could work at my own pace, no large mirrors or scarily fit people to rub it in how out-of-shape I am. Looking to start exercising again but they don't have a franchise open anywhere near me. I live in Dublin 5 and work in Dublin 2 so near either of those would be great.

Slender health in Raheny or fit 4 less in clarehall might suit you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hotel gyms are usually pretty quiet, mine (Hilton) is essentially just me at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hotel gyms are usually pretty quiet, mine (Hilton) is essentially just me at lunch time.

Hotel gyms are usually pretty quiet because hotel gyms are usually pretty crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Sir Dosser wrote: »

You can book classes with Anddy Kenny so you'll have access to equipment when you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

endacl wrote: »
    Hotel gyms are usually pretty quiet because hotel gyms are usually pretty crap.

Not the regency. Very good gym in there and reasonably priced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pool there too, grand spot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement