Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abs exercise for beginner

Options
  • 26-06-2017 11:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Have been going to the gym on and off for a few years. Anyway always neglected exercising abs. So basically need a few exercises to start off with. What would ye recommend to begin with. Just want a few easy exercises to begin with and then build up for there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Straight leg sit ups with a plate held overhead and russian twists are my favourites but you cant really beat a plank (providing you use good form - squeeeeeeze everything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Planks
    Hollow holds
    Engaging your abs when you do literally every exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jameshayes wrote: »
    Straight leg sit ups with a plate held overhead and russian twists

I'd be wary of anything that compresses the spine like that. There are much more body-friendly core exercises.

I'm a fan of landmine twists:

Anyone can do leg raises:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/kneehip-raise-on-parallel-bars

Engaging your abs when you do literally every exercise

This is something I wish I had realised earlier. It's amazing how much you can work your abs incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd be wary of anything that compresses the spine like that. There are much more body-friendly core exercises.

So you avoid or are wary of any exercise that involves lifting a weight overhead?

Realistically most people would be in the 5kg to 25kg plate range when doing a SL sit up, a fraction of what they could be lifting doing a seated shoulder press.

A landmine uses far more moving body parts which leave it open to poor form - a SL sit up has far less mechanics and is easier to master

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's not about the weight, it's the type of motion. Situps compress the lower spine in an unnatural way and over-emphasise the hip flexors (the US military has phased them out for that very reason). It's also quite an isolated exercise. Landmines recruit more muscles and apply pressure in a direction the body is designed to deal with. I concede they're a bit more advanced, which is why I also suggested leg raises, which are safe and easy.

Supposedly planks are all you really need but I think I'd rather watch the sweat drip down someone's back than lie watching a clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

f140 wrote: »
    Have been going to the gym on and off for a few years. Anyway always neglected exercising abs. So basically need a few exercises to start off with. What would ye recommend to begin with. Just want a few easy exercises to begin with and then build up for there.

It's all detailed here - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/new-blog-1/2016/11/18/mid-line-stability-exercises
    Check if you can pass the first two tests and go from there

Advertisement