Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Humphries: Guilty of child abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

he is off to Spain next having learned Spanish in prison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

he is off to Spain next having learned Spanish in prison

Ain't the age of consent in Spain 13 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just cant get over the leniency of that sentance. Sexually abusing a child is one of the most heinous crimes out there and yet he has walked after 20 months inside. Lets not forget there was another victim too. And that he refused to engage in a sex offenders reform program in the prison. He has gotten off very very ligthly here, it should have been 8-10 years minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I just cant get over the leniency of that sentance. Sexually abusing a child is one of the most heinous crimes out there and yet he has walked after 20 months inside. Lets not forget there was another victim too. And that he refused to engage in a sex offenders reform program in the prison. He has gotten off very very ligthly here, it should have been 8-10 years minimum.

Don't know all that much about sentencing policy, but presumably, given the massive publicity of the trial, the DPP could/would have appealed the sentence if it was considered too lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Ain't the age of consent in Spain 13 ?

Up until in 2013 it was:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/04/spain-raises-age-of-consent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wouldn't necessarily assume it's Spain he's off to, might be South America too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Portsalon wrote: »
    Don't know all that much about sentencing policy, but presumably, given the massive publicity of the trial, the DPP could/would have appealed the sentence if it was considered too lenient.
    He had no previous convictions, pleaded guilty and got some good character references. He had also been in a psychiatric institution for a year. All of these are mitigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, it really plays on you mentally....when you get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Just reading about this case now.
    The guy clearly has issues. What sort of dope would be attracted to a skinny, anxious 14-year-old in the first place and then send her 16000 texts? The "sexual" element of whatever was going on didn't happen until she was 16.
    He seems to have been estranged from his wife at the time, everything unravelled for him in 2011 and he's spent time in prison and the nut house over the past 8 years during which he lost his career and had to share a cell with a child killer.
    I think we need to keep things in perspective.. he's done his time, and perhaps a lot of his behaviour could be put down to mental health issues.
    As for his risk of re-offending.. well, there's a lot more dangerous people out there. We don't have a system to deal with every high-risk murderer, rapist, pedo, terrorist... so it doesn't make sense to zoom in on this one pathetic individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

is_that_so wrote: »
    and got some good character references.

How do those guys sleep at night?
    He had also been in a psychiatric institution for a year.

So's the Console guy. Good way of letting the heat die down it seems.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Portsalon wrote: »

Yeah they didnt appeal it but I think any regular person on the street would find 20 months for sexually abusing a child to be lenient. It also sends out a message to other paedos- abuse away and if you get caught you'll be out in under two years. Thats shocking imo, if anything short sentences like this incentivise them to commit the crime as the deterrent isn't strong enough.

antix80 wrote: »
    Just reading about this case now.
    The guy clearly has issues. What sort of dope would be attracted to a skinny, anxious 14-year-old in the first place and then send her 16000 texts? The "sexual" element of whatever was going on didn't happen until she was 16.
    He seems to have been estranged from his wife at the time, everything unravelled for him in 2011 and he's spent time in prison and the nut house over the past 8 years during which he lost his career and had to share a cell with a child killer.
    I think we need to keep things in perspective.. he's done his time, and perhaps a lot of his behaviour could be put down to mental health issues.
    As for his risk of re-offending.. well, there's a lot more dangerous people out there. We don't have a system to deal with every high-risk murderer, rapist, pedo, terrorist... so it doesn't make sense to zoom in on this one pathetic individual.

Fk sake, next thing you'll be saying Humphries is a victim of society :rolleyes:

How do you know anything about his risk of reoffending btw?

16 is underage in Ireland and this child (YES, CHILD) was groomed for sex by an obsessed pervert since at least the age of 14 and here you are making excuses for him. FFS.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a specific male that fancies young teenage girls. Obviously some such girls haven't fully developed the skills of warding off such advances.
    Those often get involved in things like sports clubs. Basically, sex pests.

Fk sake, next thing you'll be saying Humphries is a victim of society :rolleyes:

16 is underage in Ireland and this child (YES, CHILD) was groomed for sex by an obsessed pervert since at least the age of 14 and here you are making excuses for him. FFS.

The virtue is strong is this one.

No, i wouldn't say he's a victim of society.

No, i didn't comment on his risk of reoffending. I just meant there's little to prevent him reoffending any more than other serious criminals. I'd hope he won't given his experience over the last 8 years, the fact his perversion is out in the open, and that if he reoffends his next sentence would be higher.

No, I'm not making excuses.

Put your pitchfork away, outraged 1-man mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He’s definitely paid a (justifiably) heavy price for all of this, his life has completely unravelled since he was caught by his family and reported. The time spent in prison is the least impactful part of the punishment he has received imo.

antix80 wrote: »
    No, i didn't comment on his risk of reoffending.

Yeah right.
    As for his risk of re-offending.. well, there's a lot more dangerous people out there.

^^^^

I just meant there's little to prevent him reoffending any more than other serious criminals.

There's little preventing anyone from reoffending, if they want to. You are backpedalling.
    I'd hope he won't given his experience over the last 8 years, the fact his perversion is out in the open, and that if he reoffends his next sentence would be higher.

If he fecks off to latin America, which is looking likely, his perversion is not out in the open over there.
    No, I'm not making excuses.

What's the relevance of this then?
    He seems to have been estranged from his wife at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

It would have been better for him to have spent longer in prison.

The case would be more distant in peoples minds and the anger towards him would be lessened.

"As for his risk of re-offending.. well, there's a lot more dangerous people out there."

Yes, I said this. What issue do you have with it? I'm acknowledging there's a risk of reoffending and that there's nothing built into the system to prevent this after he's served his time - for him and others. What issue do you have with what I've said? Where is the backpedalling? I just reiterated my point which seems to be one you agree with!!

I just can't see what you're arguing about. I know you're virtue signalling - good for you, I hope you get plenty of "thanks" - but what problem do you have with my opinion?

I mentioned about him being estranged from his wife at the time - we can only speculate on people's reasons for doing things. Turns out I was wrong.
    But here- you're the one speculating that he learned Spanish so he could disappear to South America. What if you're wrong? Nothing. So get off your high horse.

@Hotblack Desiato: what would have been an “appropriate” punishment in your view? Life?

I wasn't the one who mentioned that he was learning Spanish, or the first to speculate that he might go to south America. Maybe read the thread more carefully?

As for "virtue signalling", "outrage", "mob", "pitchforks" etc it seems to be the norm for a poster to go on the attack when they've been caught out and can't argue their position - whatever it is - in your case it seems to be a long line of mitigating factors for a devious, cunning and determined child abuser.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    @Hotblack Desiato: what would have been an “appropriate” punishment in your view? Life?

At least twice what he got. No concurrent sentencing (for anyone.) Any remission dependent on sex offender programme and positive probation report.

At least twice what he got. No concurrent sentencing (for anyone.) Any remission dependent on sex offender programme and positive probation report.

Can’t argue with that tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

So's the Console guy. Good way of letting the heat die down it seems.

Not related to TH, but thanks for flagging that - I had sometimes wondered what was going on with Paul Kelly and his missus since they were exposed as a pair of complete parasites.

I assume that a CAB or garda investigation is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The problem is that for every Tom Humphreys you know about there’s at least 10 Tom Humphreys out there who haven’t been caught and might never be caught.
    The responsibility is with the parents of all children to make sure that your child, in particular those whose parents allow them access to electronic SM, know that there is never, ever, a reason for any adult, to contact them in any way, apart from very immediate family pre agreed by child and parent.
    Children need to be totally confident that if an adult or older child contacts them that they have to tell a parent immediately no matter what the contacter says.
    There’s nothing else that can be done.

True but this is not a new issue.
    Parents used to think that sports coaches could be trusted, priests could be trusted...
    IIRC Humphries was an underage sports coach and was known in real life to the victim? He had her phone number, anyway, so this really can't be blamed on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

True but this is not a new issue.
    Parents used to think that sports coaches could be trusted, priests could be trusted...
    IIRC Humphries was an underage sports coach and was known in real life to the victim? He had her phone number, anyway, so this really can't be blamed on social media.

She should have been aware from the age of 7 or 8 that there was never any reason for Mr Humphreys or any Mr Anything to contact her about anything. Ever.
    I’m not blaming SM. SM is just another way for paedophiles to groom children.
    Parents/guardians have to carry the can.
    The message to your children has to be clear and repeated over and over.
    There’s nothing to be afraid of, but no adults outside of a pre agreed group are allowed to try to contact you.
    If an adult outside this group tries to establish contact with you, you must tell your parent immediately and you will be believed and listened to and it will be sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Why do famous people like Humphries think they can get away with things. This pops up as well in the news:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/entertainer-in-court-over-alleged-sex-assault-at-dublin-venue-38423122.html

I'm sure that is a <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

It’s a bit troubling that offenders of this sort are allowed to leave the state, and Humphries is by no means the worst of them. He could end up in some country where people have no clue of his history. Ultimately, he’s our responsibility and we shouldn’t be letting him mingle with unsuspecting foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He'll be deported back here if he offends again.

It's more our responsibility to keep tabs o him and inform the authorities of whatever country he goes to. Think that much happen anyway as he'll be in the sex offender register.

Beyond that I'm not sure you can force someone to stay in a set jurisdiction once their sentence is complete. Not permanently, anyway.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement