Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Carlow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Board.surf wrote: »
    Enjoy the next burst. It wasn't the banks. They just enabled you ;)

For someone who claims to be more educated than 2 random strangers on the internet you really haven't a clue do you?

You honestly sound like a spolied teenager that isn't getting his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    For someone who claims to be more educated than 2 random strangers on the internet you really haven't a clue do you?

You honestly sound like a spolied teenager that isn't getting his own way.

Sure. Go build/sell/rent some shabby houses, will you? Or are you too busy responding to randomers online out of paranoia, because they touched on the issues of your profession and how terrible it is in this country? You're viewpoint wouldn't hold water in any other country. And in this one, it's the reason for the housing issues. Boom, bust, boom, bust. Let me guess, you protest water charges, loves Sinn Fein and blame young people for everything? Banks and the government are the reason for all issues we encounter? You made a lot of presumptions so it's only fair.....Thanks for the laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

A family with one working parent and 2 kids would need to be earning over 70k per year to get any kind of mortgage. Not a whole lot of people earn that much in Carlow.

You're living in the 1980's where the housewife stayed at home and Paddy was the breadwinner. That's a luxury these days, and only for those who can afford it. If you cant afford to feed, clothe and house your family on one income, then the norm is that both parents work. The same goes for however many kids you want to rear. If you want two kids, then you should do your sums to ensure you can afford two. It's not up to the state to ensure prices are kept artificially low so that you can work a menial job and your wife can stay at home cooking the dinner and bring the kids to the swimming pool.

EmoCourt wrote: »
    You're living in the 1980's where the housewife stayed at home and Paddy was the breadwinner. That's a luxury these days, and only for those who can afford it. If you cant afford to feed, clothe and house your family on one income, then the norm is that both parents work. The same goes for however many kids you want to rear. If you want two kids, then you should do your sums to ensure you can afford two. It's not up to the state to ensure prices are kept artificially low so that you can work a menial job and your wife can stay at home cooking the dinner and bring the kids to the swimming pool.

Agree but lots of people are in that scenario. If he works too, it's still a 70k+ scenario. If you think both would earn 35k+ on average in Carlow town then your the one who is off. Reality is reality and you don't live in it.

And again, so I can work a menial job? So my wife? Who said anything about my situation? More offensive personal nonsense and presumptions. Fact is, if a couple with two kids even earn forty thousand a piece, a mortgage is currently out of reach. Read up on it. The calcs used by banks while underwriting loans take more into account per kid. By your standards then, nobody should ever have a kid. Your attitude toward a stay at home parent is also nothing short of disgusting. You also seem to think I assume a women should be at home. Again, you said it not me. Often, a man or women does stay home with the kids. On 70k it should be possible.

I also never said it's up to the state to do anything. I'm fairly far to the right in my belief system, but stick to your nonsense guns. In reality, it's not as simple as a family popping in to get a mortgage. Carlow families can't afford the cost of houses in Carlow. I know plenty. If a family earns 70k a year, there is something seriously wrong, if they can't afford to live in Carlow.

Sure. Go build/sell/rent some shabby houses, will you? Or are you too busy responding to randomers online out of paranoia, because they touched on the issues of your profession and how terrible it is in this country? You're viewpoint wouldn't hold water in any other country. And in this one, it's the reason for the housing issues. Boom, bust, boom, bust. Let me guess, you protest water charges, loves Sinn Fein and blame young people for everything? Banks and the government are the reason for all issues we encounter? You made a lot of presumptions so it's only fair.....Thanks for the laughs.

You're the only one making assumptions on here.

I also retract calling you bitter. You're actually insane.

• Advertisement

You're the only one making assumptions on here.

I also retract calling you bitter. You're actually insane.

Yes, because people with different opinions than you are insane. Basic economics is insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

People on low incomes struggle with bills. The world is so, so, unjust. When did this mind blowing eureka moment dawn on you? Because it has always been that way. My parents struggled, and their parents struggled. Seems you like to blame 'oldies' for high rent and you look back at some makey-uppey halcyon era when you could rent a place for half a crown and tuppence and Mary would be sitting at home knitting a loaf of soda bread with the sewing machine. You're the type that would have voted for Brexit.

People on low incomes struggle with bills. The world is so, so, unjust. When did this mind blowing eureka moment dawn on you? Because it has always been that way. My parents struggled, and their parents struggled. Seems you like to blame 'oldies' for high rent and you look back at some makey-uppey halcyon era when you could rent a place for half a crown and tuppence and Mary would be sitting at home knitting a loaf of soda bread with the sewing machine. You're the type that would have voted for Brexit.

Low incomes? 70k is a low income? Twice the national average. Wasting my words here. Brexit? What? Looking back at a cheap era? I never lived in Ireland in a cheap era. Owned property all over the world but left at the start of the burst to work then came back. I wasn't alive for previous recessions.

And sexism? I believe women and men should both be working or if a man wants to stay at home and can afford it, then great. You mentioned women staying at home.

People on high incomes CAN pay their bills but there is no decent housing for them. It's not rocket science. Even if they can afford everything else, and have massive savings. It's not the case in other countries. It's what happens in third world nations. This is Carlow, not Dublin! Again. A hardworking, high earning family shouldn't have to live in some semi d mould ridden dump because that's all Ireland has to offer. Rentals are disgusting and way over priced in a small town. To purchase, it is also over priced. Athy road for example, houses for 1/4 million with no heating systems. They also shouldn't "have" to purchase because there is no decent rentals. Should I rewrite that? This situation hasn't existed since independence. It's bad. You don't think so. It is bad for the country. It will cause massive economic and social issues.

Biggest irony? People buying houses, that just sit there' wanting to make buckets of money off of it. Laziest, most ridiculous way to expect to make money. Then they whine if it drops in value as assets do. The same people then tell other people to work harder for their money! While they sit back, and whine when lazy assets drop in value. And Expect (!) said lazy assets to make them a living.

Ireland - the only country in the world, where people think their second hand garbage should be more valuable than a new product! That's just nuts.

A quote I read in an article recently. "When I was saving for my first house I wasn't going out on a Saturday morning drinking organic coffee and ordering smashed avocado on gluten free bread." It's amazing what people complain about before taking a long hard look at their own actions.

A quote I read in an article recently. "When I was saving for my first house I wasn't going out on a Saturday morning drinking organic coffee and ordering smashed avocado on gluten free bread." It's amazing what people complain about before taking a long hard look at their own actions.

Not in any way relevant. Not to me. Not to any house watchers. Not to the reality of the Irish housing mess. The Carlow housing mess, or anything relevant.
    Life isn't about buying a house, but in Ireland it is. A new build should never be as valuable again, as it was the day after it was build, barring natural inflation. But in Ireland is it. Irish people are obsessed. Meanwhile the housing stock is somehow useless and backward. hard workers can't get houses to rent or buy. That's that. It's a problem.

For most people, no matter how hard they work, save, or earn, a nice house is not possible to obtain around here. Avocados aren't relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mod warning: Keep it civil please.

Advertisement