Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bringing my Leaf back from the UK - a 500km+ trip

• 23-06-2017 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I'll use this thread to update on my trip back from the UK tomorrow :)

I have my ecars card and I have registered with ecotricity electric highway and have the app on my phone, along with the esb connect app. I also have the zap map and plugshare apps. Are there any others that I will need or should download before I go?

I'll be flying into Leeds tomorrow morning and then getting an uber to Keighly to collect the car. I hope to be at the dealers at 9am when they open:o

The trip to the ferry at Holyhead is 170miles and I plan to M65 --> M6 --> M56 --> A55. Hoping to have just one stop at Chester which is 84miles (30kwh leaf) and then the next charge at Holyhead port before boarding which is another 88 miles. There's another rapid 26miles after Chester if I think i will need it.

Once getting off the ferry I'm still a bit undecided about taking the M7 or M6 - the distance is the same, although M7 is motorway all the way except the last 15km. The M6 would mean N and R roads for the last 45km.

M6
    Dublin Port – Kilbeggan – 105km (junction 5)
    Kilbeggan – Ballinasloe – 64km (junction 14)
    Ballinasloe – home – 76km

M7
    Dublin port – portlaoise 107km
    Portlaoise – Limerick 114km
    Limerick - home - 51km

Very excited :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's unlikely you will need anymore than the ecotricity app in the uk. That's all I used for charging. I used an FCP in chester and my ev got stuck. So don't be afraid to use the emergency stop if this happens. The motorway driving will chew the battery, so either plan your stops a bit closer together, or drive a 50mph/80kph. I would drive full speed and get an extra FCP in there :D

When you reach the port, switch to speedo to klms. It's pretty easy. There's a cluster of 4 button to the right hand side on the dash, above the fuel cap and sonar buttons. use the top 2 buttons to scroll and select units of measurement.

When you get home, take the R/N roads. More fun. Will also give you the chance to experiment with eco mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've made it to Chester and the car is charging :)

Very eaely start this morning...2.15am to be exact on the bus from limerick to dublin airport then flight to leeds which arrived about 20min early. As a result i caught the bus to the dealership rather than getting an uber, and arrived just after 9am.

I had to insist on the full V5 form as suspected bit i was driving out of their by 9.45. I've done 81miles and arrived at chester with 33% battery left. Just as i finished plugging it in to charge a guy comes up to ask me about it - i had to admit that i only bought it this morning and this was the first time i was charging it!

Car is lovely to drive, the only thing is my navigation map isn't moving as i drive. If anyone knows how to fix that that would be great.

It's a comfortable drive from Chester to the port. Enjoy it.

I don't know what the story with the nav system is. Can you connect to telematics via the menu?

I'm plugged into an fcp on way back from Athlone to Dublin after a night away. Cost nothing on juice :)

You'll be doing more of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Use the M4/M6. It's less travelled than the M7 so you should have less queuing. In fact you can go the old road between Kilcock and Kinnegad, which will be better for your battery while bypassing the toll.

I use Kilbeggan now and again. I've only ever had to queue once. A bigger issue is VAG TDI's blocking access (which is an issue in general down the country). Ballinasloe is also fairly quiet.

Thanks :) have arrived at holyhead, missed checkin for the early ferry by about 20mins :( so charging car now and might go for a bit of a walk around.

Left chester with 89% charge, traveled 89.6 miles to the port, arrived with 8% charge. I put it into eco mode when it hit about 20% i think. Eco certainly does make the car sluggish doesn't it.

Hit a seagull on the highway as well...obviously didn't hear me!!

Nav system is working fine now - don't know what it was but when i reatarted after chester and put in holyhead it was perfect.

Just wondering if you have one set of keys in the car and the other outside and you try to lock it, does it beep at you? For some reason (probably this) it was beeping at me when i tried to lock it but when i took my handbag out and tried again it worked.

I'm charging on the rapid now, that should get me to around 80%. Ecotricity has also charged me 3 time for 2charges - i think the extra one has come from chester when i couldn't get the first one to work - it did say i wouldn't be charged and i thought i cancelled it??

Thanks, will take the M4/m6. Is that old road the one signposted by the brown alternative route sign?

• Advertisement

mel.b wrote: »
    Thanks, will take the M4/m6. Is that old road the one signposted by the brown alternative route sign?

I'm not sure it is signposted coming from the Dublin side. Just leave the M4 at exit 8 and follow the signs for Enfield/Kinnegad. When you get to Kinnegad drive the bypass to the end and then just follow the signs for Galway.

I was at the Kilbeggan FCP yesterday. I had to wait for someone in a Leaf to charge. He had just plugged in when I arrived and I was already late to check-in at the hotel in Westmeath. I plugged in and pressed for the charge to start. I was at 9% battery and came back 25 mins later to 9% :eek:

It took a few times to get the charge started and I connected/disconnected a number of times....it wouldn't read the connection. It worked in the end though, but just be mindful that it could happen.

Gosh Holyhead town centre is a depressing place.

The fcp at the port gave me a 93% charge in about 43min. I've only received one email receipt as well, despite the three pending transactions, so possibly i haven't been charged for the charge at holyhead :D On plugshare people have commented that they couldn't connect to the app and it did say that on mine as well but then it started charging so i presumed it did, but maybe not!

Given the food charge i got in Hokyhead, i decided to opt for anone stop strategy on the way home. I took the m4/m6 but stuck to the motorway and arrived in Athlone a littlw while ago. Started at 93% charge, 140km done, arrived at Athlone with 7% left.

Had a little bit if difficulty initally getting the charger in properly and connected but sorted it out (thankfully!)

Can someone tell me hiw to change the sat nav settings to kms? I've changed the trip computer but not the sat nav. Although it is sort of handy...in this weather at the speeds i jave been going (100-110km) as long as i have more % than miles to destination that has been working ok.

Also it sounds like the drivers window is not quite shut...it is, but there is this little wind sound. Is that because the car is so quiet or should it be looked at?

Almost home!

Actually just thinking about charging the car at home tonight as i don't have the point installed yet. I could Use the granny cable, but if that is not long enough am i ok to use an extension lead with it? I don't have a waterproof extension lead (not sure what the forecast is for tonight).

Turn on the car and use the dash menu (the 4 buttons to the right of the steering wheel)... the miles/km option is in there. (You can't change the setting while the car is moving)

Re the wind noise, no not normal. Is the door sealing properly at the top when it's closed? If it's not put down the window and bend the top of the door frame in a bit. Sounds ignorant but I've had to do this to two cars... a crash repair place showed me how to do it. It might be a sign there was an attempted break in.

Granny cable on an extension cable is fine as long as the extension cable is full unwound (to avoid the build up of heat).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Gosh Holyhead town centre is a depressing place.
    How many people have come to that conclusion down through the years!

Arrive home not long ago :). It's a very nippy car on the windy R roads :D

Charged at athlone for 40min, went from 7% to 95%. I didn't need that much to get home but i wasn't sure about charging overnight tonight so gave myself so extra to get into Ennis tomorrow if i needed to so i can charge there.

Last leg 111.5km, went from 95% to 26%. I pushed it a bit more on the motorway as well than i had previously.

Total of 527km exactly with 3 charges done.

n97, are you sure that changes the sat nat as well? I did that to change the dash which worked but the sat nat is still in miles.

I'll have a look at the door frame in the morning.

Decided not to charge tonight afterall...am already in bed. Will drive into Ennis tomorrow and do it while taking the dog for a walk.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

n97, are you sure that changes the sat nat as well? I did that to change the dash which worked but the sat nat is still in miles.

On our 24kw, yes. Maybe it's different on the 30kw.

Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rpX01ib7w

The one thing I'll say about driving to an FCP to charge is you'll always end up looking for something to do while charging and we've a finite amount of time in this life. Charge at home instead; you can sleep while charging, which you need to do anyway :)

The speedo/odo/trip is separate to the sat nav. But that youtube video posted explains how to change it. Well done on your journey. Now to arrange your inspection and get your Irish plates. I assume you're already insured and all that.

n97 mini wrote: »
    On our 24kw, yes. Maybe it's different on the 30kw.

Have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0rpX01ib7w

The one thing I'll say about driving to an FCP to charge is you'll always end up looking for something to do while charging and we've a finite amount of time in this life. Charge at home instead; you can sleep while charging, which you need to do anyway :)

Yes, I will charge at home normally - it was just it was almost midnight when I got home, it was raining and I'd been on the go for 22hrs. I really didn't want to faff around trying to see if the cord was long enough, hunting for the extension lead etc
    goz83 wrote: »
    The speedo/odo/trip is separate to the sat nav. But that youtube video posted explains how to change it. Well done on your journey. Now to arrange your inspection and get your Irish plates. I assume you're already insured and all that.

Thanks, I would never have found the kms setting under 'language'!!

Have transferred my own insurance over temporarily, until I can get the irish plates and will then get some new quotes. Interested to see what Zurich offer with their EV insurance.

Need to do about another 700km to hit 6000km, I'd say that'll almost be done by the end of next week as I have to go to Dublin on Thurs. Actually just booked the VRT inspection there while thinking about it. I thought they'd give more choice of dates but the one furthest away was the 7th July so I took that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Great that you are home safe and sound.

I have the same issue with the drivers window, it seems that it is down but it's not. I think it's just the wind noise and no engine to mask it.

Now, the obligatory 'we don't actually believe you bought a car' unless you throw up some pictures :)

Pictures, how could i forget pictures!!

C540588B-5E77-48D5-B954-7D27541CDAD1_zpsdftetdp2.jpg

B5D109A6-09F3-4DB1-A2CB-5637E4050EF3_zpspwvso4su.jpg

First charge!
    9CD33EEA-DB54-4890-8780-0394C0423A22_zpsse47cxxn.jpg

Home!
    FFA076C1-2FDB-4E3C-B526-13B47A1E9E77_zpsdczmxeps.jpg

Good to hear (well, not really, but you know what i mean) that someone else has the wind noise, so maybe there's not actually anything 'wrong' as such.

9CD33EEA-DB54-4890-8780-0394C0423A22_zpsse47cxxn.jpg

Such a nice colour :D

That's the CP I got stuck at in Chester. It wouldn't release my car until I hit the emergency stop. Holiday inn hotel there in the image and a small shopping centre behind.

I don't have the wind noise you guys are talking about. And I mostly don't have the radio on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Congrats Mel B, and best of luck with it. Best colour for a leaf I think.

Enjoyed reading your updates. I have been seriously considering a leaf these last few weeks, and have been looking at ones in the UK.

Keep us updated on your inspection at the nct centre and it's transfer on to Irish plates, in case there's anything us potential future owners may need to know.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Congrats Mel B, and best of luck with it. Best colour for a leaf I think.

Enjoyed reading your updates. I have been seriously considering a leaf these last few weeks, and have been looking at ones in the UK.

Keep us updated on your inspection at the nct centre and it's transfer on to Irish plates, in case there's anything us potential future owners may need to know.

The more info the better for any possible buyers, so here's my experience doing the same.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057712940

• Advertisement

Had the vrt appt this morning and all went off without a problem. Took about 20min and managed to convert the two guys waiting to the benefits of electric as well :D

The only thing is that on one of the forms they gave back to me is that the selling price bears no resemblence to the price i paid?? It's not the price minus VRT so i can't work out how he got that price. I don't think it matters, just thought it was strange.

Now to get plates and quotes for insurance.

Also do i need to send anything back to the UK or is that all sorted now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Also do i need to send anything back to the UK or is that all sorted now?
    No nothing to go back to the UK. Did you leave any part of the v5 with the dealership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The price is the OMSP decided by revenue, which is normally plucked out of the air and bears no relevance to any reality

It's what you pay VRT on

No nothing to go back to the UK. Did you leave any part of the v5 with the dealership?

No, i took it all with me. I don't think the vrt guy gave me anything back to send off actually, but must look through it.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    The price is the OMSP decided by revenue, which is normally plucked out of the air and bears no relevance to any reality

It's what you pay VRT on

Thats what i thought it must of been, but the price was about €5500 lower than ehat they are selling at so wasn't sure. I guess when theres no vrt payable its not as important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No, i took it all with me. I don't think the vrt guy gave me anything back to send off actually, but must look through it.

My understanding is that NCT give the V5 to revenue and revenue send it back the the UK DVLA which closes the loop that the car has been exported/imported.

Once you complete your bit at the NCT and they give you your new reg number you are done.

Ok, i have just looked through the stuff i got back from the appt today and i have the v5c/4 small tear off section...notification of permanent export still. Do i need to complete this and send back to the DVLA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ok, i have just looked through the stuff i got back from the appt today and i have the v5c/4 small tear off section...notification of permanent export still. Do i need to complete this and send back to the DVLA?
    No!!
    That's for UK residents only.

You deal exclusively with the VRT (NCTS) people only, they take the documents from you and send them to the DVLA when the car is registered here. You don't have any interaction with the dvla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

So I'm thinking this could be left with the dealer? When I went over, I didn't - but he took a photocopy and he sent that on to the DVLA in Swansea instead. Others here can confirm but I think it's just the main V5 less the tear off strip that irish buyers need???

@mel: Open to other folks input on the subject but I'd imagine you can just file it away.

ELM327 wrote: »
    No!!
    That's for UK residents only.

You deal exclusively with the VRT (NCTS) people only, they take the documents from you and send them to the DVLA when the car is registered here. You don't have any interaction with the dvla

Perfect, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Just looked into how much one might spend on a UK Leaf on the back of reading this thread - €5k for a 2013 24kW model in Chingford and no VRT??!!

Sorely tempted as might need a second car soon enough! Really informative thread mel.b, thanks!

JayeL wrote: »
    Just looked into how much one might spend on a UK Leaf on the back of reading this thread - €5k for a 2013 24kW model in Chingford and no VRT??!!

Sorely tempted as might need a second car soon enough! Really informative thread mel.b, thanks!
    You have a link? Make sure that it's battery owned and that its gen 1.5 (most of the 2013's would be gen 1.0 - better battery with the 1.5).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Yep....3 things;

1. Is it on flexi-lease (i.e. not battery owned). They don't say so directly but they refer to N. Leaf stock generally as being on Flex.
    2. It's a visia - base model. Now, you might be fine with this - but check the specfication and contrast with the Acenta.
    3. It's hard to figure if it's gen. 1.0 as their interior pics are vague.

That one says in the text of the ad it is flexi-lease. You want a battery owned one, but its still the way to go :)

Leased battery, hence lower price.
    Base model, hence lower price also.
    Looks to be a Gen 2 model though but the leased battery trumps all these. Do not buy.

• Advertisement

1st Gen. Wouldn't touch it for all the reasons above. You can get cheap ones, but that's a non runner.

Would an RoI reisdent even be able to buy a flex car?

Surely if you have to pay £70 - £80 monthly, you'd need to have a UK bank account and credit record.

Would an RoI reisdent even be able to buy a flex car?

I got confirmation from a Renault dealer in the North that it was possible on the Zoe - so probably possible on the Leaf also. However, why would you want to do it! With Renault, if you really wanted one, you might be forced into it ( there's damn all battery owned Zoe's knocking about).

No need to do it with a Leaf.
    Surely if you have to pay £70 - £80 monthly, you'd need to have a UK bank account and credit record.
    Could be transferred to RCI in Ireland.

1st Gen. Wouldn't touch it for all the reasons above. You can get cheap ones, but that's a non runner.

It looked Gen 2 to me based on the dark interior and the relocated handbrake to the foot brake.

kceire wrote: »
    It looked Gen 2 to me based on the dark interior and the relocated handbrake to the foot brake.

You're right of course. I had about 40 tabs open on my desktop and had clicked into another ad I left open :D

Although the dark interior isn't always the giveaway, that footbrake certainly is. Steering wheel looks awful plain in the visia, doesn't it.

• Advertisement

Steering wheel looks awful plain in the visia, doesn't it.
    Massive difference between Visia and Acenta. Acenta to Tekna, not so much.

You're right of course. I had about 40 tabs open on my desktop and had clicked into another ad I left open :D

Although the dark interior isn't always the giveaway, that footbrake certainly is. Steering wheel looks awful plain in the visia, doesn't it.

Yeah for sure. Half the appeal of buying the Leaf was at least to get the tech. I couldn't do it without music streaming, MFSW, LED etc

Finally got my rolec point installed today. Went and set the timer on the car and plugged it in and got the three sequential blue lights instead of the ones you are meant to get. I def had the time set to start at 2am fri (tomorrow) morning.

i pressed the timer cancel button and it started working(charging) fine.

Actually when i think about it when i parked at the louis fitzgerald hitelnin Dublin they had a rolec charger as well and the same thing happened. I assumed it was me (probably still is!) and when i pressed the timer cancel button it started charging no problem. So what am i doing wrong? I've been charging using the granny cable and setting the timer in the car for the past two weeks with no problem.

When the timer is turned on and you plug the charger in early, you will get the three lights flashing in sequence. This tells you that car is plugged in correctly and waiting for the timer to allow it to charge. The car would start charging at 2am in your case. One led would flash and 0,1, or 2 leds would remain illuminated to represent the level of charge in thirds.

When you press the cancel button, you turn the timer off and the car will charge right away (that one time). Once you turn the car on, you re-engage the normal timer settings.

If you plug into a fast charger, the BMS is bypassed and the timer is irrelevant, as the fast charger takes over the charging process.

Thanks goz, so maybe i had it right after all. I thought i read in the manual thatbwhen the lights flash in a sequentual order it's not charging (or set to charge...i can't remember but i'll look in the manual again tomorrow) but it's possible I misunderstood. However that doesn't explain when i was using the granny and the timer, it wasn't flashing in the sequential order after plugging in.

I can't explain why (if) the granny cable behaved differently. Either the timer wasn't on, or the cancel timer button was hit. Check your timers, because there are two sets of them and different days can be set too.

I know that when I plug the rolec into my Leaf the blue (standby) light on the rolec turns green (active charging) for a moment and then back to blue until the car timer allows the charge to commence.

When the lights flash left to right there is a timer set and you need to press the timer over ride button to get it to charge immediately.

Yeah, I mis-understood the manual when I read it. I set it with just the end timer the other night and it charged fine.

Question about the V5C on a used car from the UK.

Normally when a person sells a car in the UK, they complete one section of the V5C and give it to the buyer. The seller retains the rest of the V5C and sends it off to Swansea to notify the DVLA that there is a new owner of the vehicle. Swansea then send out a new V5C to the buyer.

But what happens in the case of selling a UK car to an Irish resident when the car is going to be registered in Ireland? Does the Irish buyer have to ask for the full V5C and take it with them when returning home?

I know there is a section for the owner of the car to say that they are moving the car out of the UK (permanent export), but I think this is more for those that are retaining ownership, and not selling it on to someone else to take out of the UK?

By my understanding, I take the full V5C, get the VRT inspection done, the NCT guys take the V5C and they inform DVLA that the car is now in Ireland. Is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

By my understanding, I take the full V5C, get the VRT inspection done, the NCT guys take the V5C and they inform DVLA that the car is now in Ireland. Is that right?

This is the procedure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement