Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl wine

• 21-06-2017 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10 4652

I alway had really bad luck buying decent wine from Lidl so would anyone recommend any that are nice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

4652 wrote: »
    I alway had really bad luck buying decent wine from Lidl so would anyone recommend any that are nice?

Not a bargain alert. Might have more luck in a Foodie or Wine forum

• Registered Users Posts: 27,386 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I find the 'regular' LIDL wines to be reliable ... not necessarily amazing, but good value.
    Disclaimer - that goes for the reds as I'm not much of a white wine drinker.

There's some discussion on their wines over on the general LIDL recommendations thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103817330

With the weekly wine specials they get in e.g. running Iberian week, French week, Italian wine, they are more hit and miss.
    You can pickup a fantastic bottle for under a tenner, at the same time I've bought bottles for €10-12 and thought I should've stuck to the regular €6 bottles.
    Some weekends you can pick-up 3 of the specials for €25 if you are feeling adventurous.

Also I think I preferred their starter Chianti which is about €6-7 to the more expensive one at €9-10.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Use the vivino app. Photograph the labels, see the reviews. Anything with over 3.5 is generally good. Anything over 4 is exceptional (wine drinkers are clearly a snooty lot who won't give a five to anything that's not Romani Conti)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Meeeee79

Im not a fan of the white wines in Lidl at all. Aldi on the other hand do a fabulous Pinot Grigio.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Im not a fan of the white wines in Lidl at all. Aldi on the other hand do a fabulous Pinot Grigio.

They used to do a great Alsace Reisling for around €10. Not sure if it's still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If I see the Barolo on offer I grab it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Piper Bewildered Sorcerer

I'm not a wine expert at all but I feel that Aldi seem to have better wines than Lidl. I shop in both for groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

I'm not a wine expert at all but I feel that Aldi seem to have better wines than Lidl. I shop in both for groceries.

I'd say there's not a huge amount between them.

Depends what you're into which I don't think has been mentioned.

Aldi's Rioja's tend to be better than Lidl and when Lidl have valpolicella it's better than Aldi's

Lidl do have some great wines when they do Italian week etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Aldi have their "exquisite" range which is very dependable. Their Muscadet (7.99) in the range is a superb dry white, whist the Malbec (8.49) is very good. The star for me is the Valpolicella Ripasso (9.99) but only available in a few of their stores.

Avoid tesco at all costs - they play with their wine prices and have pretend offers that are barely worth the "reduced" prices and many of the offers such as "winemakers selection" are made up labels specifically for tesco that are priced at 17.99 for a couple of weeks and then "half price" and are bland muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I personally think a Aldi have better day to day wine, but Lidl can have some really good stuff in their French wine week etc. I've bought great Bordeaux, Barsac and Sauternes there in the past. Use the Vivino or CellarTracker apps to help guide you though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like most of the wines in Aldi's limited collection and absolutely love the Pinotage. (the one with the label around the bottle neck). I was less lucky with the wines I picked up in Lidl. There were some very nice ones and some that left me fairly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 4652

Some great tips here, thanks everyone, can't wait for there Italian week.
    Got a €10 of €35 AIB REWARDS voucher which will make an even better bargain.
    I love Spanish Rioja though or anything full bodied, any other recommendations?

4652 wrote: »
    Some great tips here, thanks everyone, can't wait for there Italian week.
    Got a €10 of €35 AIB REWARDS voucher which will make an even better bargain.
    I love Spanish Rioja though or anything full bodied, any other recommendations?

Cepa Lebrel Rioja Joven - it's about 7 euros
    LIDL Cotes du Rhone - it's about 6 euros
    In Italian week they have a Salice Salentino for under a tenner which is getting good reviews. I picked up a bottle but haven't opened it yet.
    You'd want to move fast to get some before they are gone.

There's a range of 4 euros Spanish wines, avoid, picked up a bottle once out of curiosity... I wouldn't even use it in cooking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ryanrlinden

The Australian Shiraz (Yellow labels on a dark bottle, youd think Id know the Vinyard, perhaps Cimarosa) has been my tipple of choice for 7 years now. It costs €5.79 at LiDL in Ireland, and sometimes goes down a few cent. Its dark, fruity and tastes good just about anytime with anything. It doesnt give me a hangover, even when I get carried away a bit. Some wine snobs have called by, tasted it,. loved it, until I told them it was a "cheapy" from LiDL. Then they seem to find things wrong with it. (but secretly buy it themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ryanrlinden

I find the white wine for 3.99 very drinkable. Chill the bejasus out of it, and sip away during a Netflix binge...does the trick and you wont be staggering to bed. The red version is a bit thin/tasteless....but Id rather have a bottle of that in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

On occasion when I dont want to spend and arm and a leg on a bottle my tipple of choice is:

https://www.aldi.ie/estevez-chilean-cabernet-carmen%C3%A8re/p/052949004645600

Great wine for the price. Plus its full bodied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I find the white wine for 3.99 very drinkable. Chill the bejasus out of it, and sip away during a Netflix binge...does the trick and you wont be staggering to bed. The red version is a bit thin/tasteless....but Id rather have a bottle of that in front of me than a frontal labotamy!

Duty on a bottle of wine is €3.19
    Vat on the duty brings it to €3.92

That leaves 6c (ex vat) for bottle, shipping, local distribution and the wine.

Urrgh

I salute your sense of adventure... you may find some kindred spirits in pursuit of the pleasures of such borderline wines over at Sediment:

http://sedimentblog.blogspot.ie/?m=1

Is this deal still running? Mix and match 4 bottles from the CIMAROSA range for €20...

Choose from:
    - South African Pinotage
    - South Africa Merlot
    - California Chardonnay

http://www.lidl.ie/en/8323.htm?action=showDetail&id=57594

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'm not that gone in the Cimarosa range.

Lidl do a nice Gruner Veltliner and Riesling for 9.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Meeeee79 wrote: »

I bought a Sav Blanc from Aldi last week. I believe it was called Tourmaine. €8. Amazing. I will be trying more wines this week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Duty on a bottle of wine is €3.19
    Vat on the duty brings it to €3.92

That leaves 6c (ex vat) for bottle, shipping, local distribution and the wine.

Urrgh

That can't be right. Either your maths are off or the supermarket is selling it as a loss leader. No way a winery, shipping company and supermarket are going to sell something that makes so little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd imagine the supermarket is using it as a loss leader. I've be surprised if any wine under 6eur is making much of a profit after duty + VAT + shipping + winery + supermarket costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Lidl's current 2015 vintage 'basic' Bordeaux (i.e. not the Bordeaux Superieur) is astonishingly good for €6.49. I've drank a lot of lower to mid tier Bordeaux over the years, and this wine would easily cost over €10, if not over €15, elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is this deal still running? Mix and match 4 bottles from the CIMAROSA range for €20...

Choose from:
    - South African Pinotage
    - South Africa Merlot
    - California Chardonnay

http://www.lidl.ie/en/8323.htm?action=showDetail&id=57594

Got this in Fonthill during the week. Drinking the chardonnay now. It's poison (IMO)

Got this in Fonthill during the week. Drinking the chardonnay now. It's poison (IMO)

Yikes.. sounds like you're taking one for the boards team there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think all of those Cimarisa ones are rotten. Get a terrible hangover from them too

anewme wrote: »
    I think all of those Cimarisa ones are rotten. Get a terrible hangover from them too

Could be an excess of sulphites... defo one to decant and chill (even the red for 30 mins) if you have any bottles left, or just keep for cooking :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

anewme wrote: »

Aww shíte! Never even thought that far ahead. How am I going to get out of this??

Advertisement