Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the gym

Options
  • 20-06-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there .
    I've lost 5kg - about a stone - since February, by running twice a week, but now the running stopped working and just exhausts me.. I want to get rid of another 10kg, tone up, all that business, and have been trying to force myself to step into the gym..
    I've never been to the gym so I'm extremely afraid and anxious to even go near it, and being too self conscious and lacking motivation hasn't helped me (especially since I've stopped seeing results from the running..) .. i looked at personal training but can't afford them since I'm only a student..

any advice or motivation would really help..😔
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Congratulations on your efforts so far, sounds like you are doing really well. It's normal to feel nervous of the gym but, trust me, everyone in there is looking at their own bodies, not yours!
    I'd avoid a hardcore "weightlifters" gym to start with. Hotels or university campus tend to have gyms suitable for all abilities and ages. When you join the instructors will give you a free induction- they walk around the equipment with you and start you off on a programme to suit your goals. Go on a quiet time for your first visit (not 5pm-7pm Monday-Thursday) and go for it! Bring headphones as lots of gyms have TVs you can plug into while exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Good job OP. Remember that losing weight is basically all diet. Download myfitnesspal or some other calorie counting app and the weight will fly off.

The other fella was right, the instructors will probably set you off on something. So have some goals in mind before you go in. I also found that listening to music reduced anxiety around the gym, that might help you too

Advertisement