Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BPM on treadmill

Options
  • 20-06-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, question for ye
    ok i am 38
    to get your max heart rate you subtract my age, 38, from 220 which is 182
    Now, they say when exercising you should never go over 85% of your MHR
    85% of 182 is 155 more or less, so, to be safe i should not be exceeding that on treadmill
    Thing is, my usual BPM on treadmill at average speed (9.5) is 174/175
    what to do?
    I feel fine, i have been running for years and in last few years had various checks done on my heart, all fine.
    Should my BPM concern me?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

182 is the average heartrate for a large sample of 38 year olds. But the standard division is +/-12bpm. Which 2 out of 3 38 year olds would between 170 and to 194.
    And a range of 158 to 206 would still miss 1 in 20.

For you, I'd guess yo are loser to the upper end. You won't know what your actually max is unless you have it tested.

As for the never going over 85% of mhr. That's not really accurate as a rule Athletes and people who are training are would be over that all the time. I was probably at 95+% today. The American heart foundation advice similar. But they pitching to people who are overweight, unfit and and cardiovasular issues, not the general population.
    In reality, you have to set your own limits based on your own fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Closing, as OP opened the same thread in Athletics and received more responses there.

In future, please don't post the same thread across multiple forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement