Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Rate Variability

Options
  • 20-06-2017 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Does anybody track theirs, or used to.. If so, do you recommend it?

There's an app called HRV elite that when combined with a heart rate monitor is said to be able to give you a training readiness status (green - go for it, yellow - take it easier, red -
    rest day). This is based on heart measurements.

Sounds good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Pterosaur wrote: »
    Does anybody track theirs, or used to.. If so, do you recommend it?

There's an app called HRV elite that when combined with a heart rate monitor is said to be able to give you a training readiness status (green - go for it, yellow - take it easier, red -
    rest day). This is based on heart measurements.

Sounds good

I use an all day HRM (running watch) and I keep a close eye on my RHR - I can tell when I'm getting sick or when I'm over trained and when I've had a few heavy sessions in a row and I need a rest but I don't think I'd pay extra for an app to tell me what I can read myself from a watch..

My RHR is 49; when I'm getting sick or when I'm overtrained it'll jump to 53/54 - when I've had a heavy Saturday night it'll jump to 65-70

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Yes I use it when training intensely and I use it for training athletes to properly monitor their training and make sure they do not over train.

HRV is very different to RHR once you get used to it over 2-3 weeks it will allow you to know exactly how much training you are able to handle. It is also very useful as sometimes you will feel fine but need a rest and vica versa.

If you want more advice or info feel free to drop me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 39,204 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot if the new training watches have this built in now. It will also suggest a recovery time from hard sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭COH

I use BioForce HRV when training for competition ... very interesting tool to monitor sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system activity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I want all these shiny toys

• Advertisement
Advertisement