Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Video Doorbell 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This is a good product I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Looks like a good product.

I have a doorbell that is wired to the chime which houses the battery to power the doorbell.

I would prefer the pro version over the standard but it needs to be wired to AC. Is ot much hassle in converting my existing doorbell to AC? The chime is located in the hall under the fusebox for the house?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Looks like a good product.

I have a doorbell that is wired to the chime which houses the battery to power the doorbell.

I would prefer the pro version over the standard but it needs to be wired to AC. Is ot much hassle in converting my existing doorbell to AC? The chime is located in the hall under the fusebox for the house?

You might get better feedback in the Pro thread, or a mod might move for you.

When you buy a Ring Pro now for EU they give you the transformer included, so that can be fitted in your board easily enough by an electrician.

Then you decide to use the wireless chime also included, or change your internal chime. Either way it’s not a big deal, use the existing wiring.

Davy wrote: »
    You might get better feedback in the Pro thread, or a mod might move for you.

When you buy a Ring Pro now for EU they give you the transformer included, so that can be fitted in your board easily enough by an electrician.

Then you decide to use the wireless chime also included, or change your internal chime. Either way it’s not a big deal, use the existing wiring.

Cheers, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I spoke to someone at the Ring stand at IFSEC last week, the Pro 2 is launched in the USA only, no launch here for several months. He said that's a good thing as there are the usual bugs to be ironed out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I spoke to someone at the Ring stand at IFSEC last week, the Pro 2 is launched in the USA only, no launch here for several months. He said that's a good thing as there are the usual bugs to be ironed out

Presuming thats a typo and you mean Video 2 rather than pro 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Davy wrote: »
    Presuming thats a typo and you mean Video 2 rather than pro 2?

Yes it is :o

Also, I see you do not need it to be hard wired which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Are these any use in a housing estate or would they keep going off with passers-by walking past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Are these any use in a housing estate or would they keep going off with passers-by walking past?
    I use the ring camera in a housing estate and it works fine...you set the perimeter as far as you want and it works like a dream...have about 6 months...
    About two weeks ago caught my first scum bag at the car, alert went off on the camera switched to live view and told the scum bag guards were called and that he was being recorded...the gob****e looked straight at camera perfect shot of his puss...guards picked him up an hour later in another housing estate...
    Will be buying this new door bell for my parents...
    You can purchase the doorbell 2 on Amazon.com if you so wish but you will have to pay duty it works out about 250 dollars including duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

harr wrote: »
    I use the ring camera in a housing estate and it works fine...you set the perimeter as far as you want and it works like a dream...have about 6 months...
    About two weeks ago caught my first scum bag at the car, alert went off on the camera switched to live view and told the scum bag guards were called and that he was being recorded...the gob****e looked straight at camera perfect shot of his puss...guards picked him up an hour later in another housing estate...
    You can purchase the doorbell 2 on Amazon.com if you so wish but you will have to pay duty it works out about 250 dollars including duty.

Thanks, man. Really appreciate the info.

Exactly what I wanted to hear.

Will pick up the Ring 2 when I'm over there in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering is yours running off the battery or wired?

Or if anyone has bought this and has any info on running it off battery only.

I've had mine for ~3 weeks now and the battery is down to 49%! This could be my motion settings, so have been trying to reduce the area.

(Just to mention that I did charge the battery to full before installing the bell)

Also, any tips on the connectivity?

My VM router is at my front window and the bell must be no more than nine or ten feet from it but still receive only a "poor" or "ok" status as well as the motion alerts being choppy. Meaning it will record a few seconds and then the video just freezes.

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

me_irl wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering is yours running off the battery or wired?

I've had mine for ~3 weeks now and the battery is down to 49%! This could be my motion settings, so have been trying to reduce the area.

(Just to mention that I did charge the battery to full before installing the bell)

My VM router is at my front window and the bell must be no more than nine or ten feet from it but still receive only a "poor" or "ok" status as well as the motion alerts being choppy. Meaning it will record a few seconds and then the video just freezes.

Thanks a mil.

I'm running on battery and getting about 2 months from it, I used to charge over night but I bought a 2nd battery and just swap now. Live view really drains the battery.

I was having issues connecting to my phone on WiFi, it would work fine on mobile data on the phone and on my tablets on WiFi, and contacted help. They sent me a WiFi chime as I had a bad signal, similar to you my router is only a few meters from the bell but has a few solid walls in the way, and while it improved the signal the phone never worked on WiFi. They sent the chime for free but I got screwed by customs so it was nearly as much as if I bought off Amazon, was going to buy one anyway so got a small saving. Got a new phone recently and it works fine on WiFi, original phone was a OnePlus 5 and new is the OnePlus 5t.

Only issue I have is that it sometimes doesn't give notifications for motion or the bell and the only way I know its not working is if someone calls me on my phone or I've a missed delivery note in my letter box, rebooting the phone usually fixes this. But I've a few "smart" devices and they all have the same issue of not knowing that they aren't working correctly.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm running on battery and getting about 2 months from it, I used to charge over night but I bought a 2nd battery and just swap now. Live view really drains the battery.

I was having issues connecting to my phone on WiFi, it would work fine on mobile data on the phone and on my tablets on WiFi, and contacted help. They sent me a WiFi chime as I had a bad signal, similar to you my router is only a few meters from the bell but has a few solid walls in the way, and while it improved the signal the phone never worked on WiFi. They sent the chime for free but I got screwed by customs so it was nearly as much as if I bought off Amazon, was going to buy one anyway so got a small saving. Got a new phone recently and it works fine on WiFi, original phone was a OnePlus 5 and new is the OnePlus 5t.

Only issue I have is that it sometimes doesn't give notifications for motion or the bell and the only way I know its not working is if someone calls me on my phone or I've a missed delivery note in my letter box, rebooting the phone usually fixes this. But I've a few "smart" devices and they all have the same issue of not knowing that they aren't working correctly.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Did you purchase the second battery from them? I don't want to get stung with customs!

(I thought I was being clever by buying direct from Ring.com, but didn't factor in that the package would be 1) outside the EU and 2) a battery... ah well).

I wonder would a wifi extender do instead of the chime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks a mil.

Yes mine is battery and I charge it about every 3 months ,the first 50% of battery seems to drain a lot quicker than the last 50% for what ever reason.
    My router is about 7 foot from camera and I get a good signal never anything higher than that.
    Your battery issues could be what the camera is picking up, try only have it on your driveway. You don’t want it picking up every car or person that goes by the house..I had issues lately with the neighbors new cat but with a little tweaking it’s back to normal.
    If your issues continue contact ring customer service they can tweak your camera for you. I found them to excellent and helpful till my issue was resolved.
    There was a delay with mine when picking up movement.

Yes mine is battery and I charge it about every 3 months ,the first 50% of battery seems to drain a lot quicker than the last 50% for what ever reason.
    My router is about 7 foot from camera and I get a good signal never anything higher than that.
    Your battery issues could be what the camera is picking up, try only have it on your driveway. You don’t want it picking up every car or person that goes by the house..I had issues lately with the neighbors new cat but with a little tweaking it’s back to normal.
    If your issues continue contact ring customer service they can tweak your camera for you. I found them to excellent and helpful till my issue was resolved.
    There was a delay with mine when picking up movement.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm going to have to reduce the area of motion detection as it's picking up every car passing by, so that might save some juice.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Did you purchase the second battery from them? I don't want to get stung with customs!

(I thought I was being clever by buying direct from Ring.com, but didn't factor in that the package would be 1) outside the EU and 2) a battery... ah well).

I wonder would a wifi extender do instead of the chime.

I bought the battery from Amazon UK and originally got the door bell from Amazon US, as they include taxes.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I bought the battery from Amazon UK and originally got the door bell from Amazon US, as they include taxes.

Typical! I should have bought the second battery when I ordered the ring as I can't find it on Amazon UK.

Thanks for your help.

Typical! I should have bought the second battery when I ordered the ring as I can't find it on Amazon UK.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry just checked my email and I ordered the battery from Ring.com. It was $20 +$9 for postage so was under the €25 for no duty here. Gone up to $29 now though so there's tax when it gets here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just picked up the ring 2 from Amazon for 137 sterling, reduced from 179 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finally got it on Saturday and installed it on Saturday night,
    Pretty painless install for the most part with the exception of the screws being seriously weak when going into hardwood and two broke!.

Other then that its working off the previous wires without any problems and all is going well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

Picked one up for a test, it’s terrible, the lag can be up to 10 seconds and that’s with it in the sitting room near the router. Tried hard wiring, no better, messed with WiFi channels and no improvement. It’s good when I works with minimum lag, but it’s just so random I couldn’t live with it. It’s going back.

Any better options out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

xabi wrote: »
    Picked one up for a test, it’s terrible, the lag can be up to 10 seconds and that’s with it in the sitting room near the router. Tried hard wiring, no better, messed with WiFi channels and no improvement. It’s good when I works with minimum lag, but it’s just so random I couldn’t live with it. It’s going back.

I got one 3 months ago and I had a nightmare setting it up with my router (known compatability issues) but resolved them. Also had some notifications issues with my phone whereas my wife has had none. Resolved that too and have absolutely zero lag and it works brilliantly. It is a quality product but you may need to look at your setup

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

xabi wrote:

Get a doorbell and a nest external camera

Uriel. wrote: »
    I got one 3 months ago and I had a nightmare setting it up with my router (known compatability issues) but resolved them. Also had some notifications issues with my phone whereas my wife has had none. Resolved that too and have absolutely zero lag and it works brilliantly. It is a quality product but you may need to look at your setup

How did you resolve the lag issue? I have tried it on 2 phones and a tablet, iOS and Android, same issue, sometimes it notifies, others it doesn’t or does after 10-15 seconds.

How did you resolve the lag issue? I have tried it on 2 phones and a tablet, iOS and Android, same issue, sometimes it notifies, others it doesn’t or does after 10-15 seconds.

As an aside their support is amazing (I was on to their chat support for a while who went through troubleshooting steps).

I had to pick up a belkin wifi extender (this one ), and my Ring 2 went from "OK" to "Good" after connecting to that.

The other thing I had to do was make sure to set the 2.4 range to a channel that wasn't interfering with neighbouring wifi. I used WiFi Analyser (android) to check this.

The support told me that to get rid of "false positives" when picking up motion it's necessary to set the range between 7 and 10ft. I'm not sure why, but seem to be picking up a lot less videos of nothing happening now.

Tried various channels with no luck, might try support before I take it back

As an aside their support is amazing (I was on to their chat support for a while who went through troubleshooting steps).

I had to pick up a belkin wifi extender (this one ), and my Ring 2 went from "OK" to "Good" after connecting to that.

The other thing I had to do was make sure to set the 2.4 range to a channel that wasn't interfering with neighbouring wifi. I used WiFi Analyser (android) to check this.

The support told me that to get rid of "false positives" when picking up motion it's necessary to set the range between 7 and 10ft. I'm not sure why, but seem to be picking up a lot less videos of nothing happening now.

Did you have lag before? How is it now? 100% no lag?

Tried various channels with no luck, might try support before I take it back
    Did you have lag before? How is it now? 100% no lag?

There's no lag on my motion videos, but there's still a ~30 second wait before the video loads up in live view the odd time.

But the bell push to notification is instantaneous now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The notification page on my OPO3T I solved by leaving the app running in the background and locking it against swipe closure.

Overall my main solution with regard to my router was to create a guest network and connect the ring to it exclusively.

The problems with my router tho seem to reasonably unique and there's some compatability issue with how the router routes traffic.

Advertisement