Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media: Landlords call for an end to 'Illegal Rent Control'

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also it increases the value of said car when moving it on. Car rental.companies also charge more for air con.

Honestly- I don't think I've seen a rental car without a/c in the last 10 years- and I do rent a few cars every year. However- we diverge.

My question was whether installation of air conditioning in a dwelling would be considered a sufficient measure to justify resetting rent control- on the basis that it most certainly would add perhaps 300 a month onto the potential rental income of the unit. I believe it is sufficient- however, I also believe you'd have one hell of a fight at the RTB if it were challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Honestly- I don't think I've seen a rental car without a/c in the last 10 years- and I do rent a few cars every year. However- we diverge.
    I believe it is sufficient- however, I also believe you'd have one hell of a fight at the RTB if it were challenged.
    either you think it will succeed at the RTB or you think it will not. The RTB will require evidence from an expert in the field of residential property lettings to give evidence that the addition of air-conditioning was sufficient to add €300 per month to the rent. There is absolutely no evidence from advertising cited by you to support this. By way of analogy, does the presence of central heating as opposed to electric storage heating add €300 to the letting value of any housing unit?

By way of analogy, does the presence of central heating as opposed to electric storage heating add €300 to the letting value of any housing unit?

It would definitely be worth more- whether its 300 or not- would be open to contention- however, its most certainly worth more to a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

It would definitely be worth more- whether its 300 or not- would be open to contention- however, its most certainly worth more to a tenant.

Definitely be worth more if you can get off an artificially low rent cap too.

Definitely be worth more if you can get off an artificially low rent cap too.

Big time- however, if you go and install a/c or a gas fired central heating system- and jack the rent up 600 Euro to match an adjacent unit- and its disputed- how do you try to say that the work you did is worth x amount per month? Honestly- its pulling figures out of thin air. Obviously a/c or proper central heating- is preferable for a tenant- and they will pay extra for it- but if you're also extinguishing rent control- and can legitimately jack up the rent 600 quid- how do you justify it?

The way the whole sector is regulated- is bizarre and nutty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Beauty parade.
    There are a long and bewildering list of ways a tenant could seek to sway a landlord- which are not included on the list of grounds for discrimination.

E.g.

A tenant could offer a year's rent upfront
    Or 6-12 month rent as a deposit
    Or sign up to a deep-clean from a named company
    etc etc

You missed the other method... the one I've been offered myself when I changed tenants earlier this year, and the way my friends (parents with two small children) finally managed to persuade someone to rent a house to them. Under the table payments.

I was offered 150 a month above the rent I was asking "in cash".

I cannot be the only person seeing this.

This ridiculous scheme is creating a black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

pwurple wrote: »
    You missed the other method... the one I've been offered myself when I changed tenants earlier this year, and the way my friends (parents with two small children) finally managed to persuade someone to rent a house to them. Under the table payments.

I was offered 150 a month above the rent I was asking "in cash".

I cannot be the only person seeing this.

This ridiculous scheme is creating a black market.

I know a landlord who was collecting €300 a month in cash. The tenant paid it for 6 months and then stopped. Nothing the LL could do. Part 4 kicked in.

Advertisement