Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close grip bench = shoulder irritation

Options
  • 15-06-2017 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Part of my current lifting program includes close grip bench press,on all other pressing movement i have no irritation(incline,flat,dips,overhead)but the close grip irritates both shoulders.
    I have tried keeping my elbows in and allowing them to flare but thats no help,a quick google suggested not all movements are for everyone and to possibly abandon them.

My mobility isn't amazing,i have had inflammation in both shoulders(superspinatus tendons).

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

What type of width grip on the bar does a close grip bench become a standard bench.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How wide is your grip when you're doing it.

As for how wide it is before it becomes a regular bench doesn't really have a fixed answer. What you're looking for is the training effect. A wide grip bench might be the width of a hand (3-4" or thereabouts) but feel very different. Once it feels different, it's likely to be working the muscles differently.

But if it just brings pain or the wrong kind of discomfort, then do an alternative.

Dips are a great exercise but I don't do them because when I stopped doing them, I stopped having achey shoulders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There is no compelling reason to do close grip bench. I'd stop if it hurt. Replace it with something else.

Although if you're doing dips etc. you may not need to replace it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Personally I've found its that last part of the range of motion that causes me irritation but all of the training benefit is in the part before that anyway so I CG bench onto pins.
    Tris are getting stronger and the shoulders are fine again

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Try a slight arch in your back, should ease up on any impingement you're having.
    Also don't go super close, try slightly wider but still close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Generally speaking if it hurts you're doing it wrong. Learn how to do it right, you should be able to bench with pinkys 3 fingers width inside the Rings pain free. If your grip is excessively narrow, I could see how that would be paining you and you need to stop. People commonly make the mistake of using a grip that is way too narrow, when close grip benching, when essentially even the slightest bit narrower than what you're used to will yield a training stimulus and will build up a weakness which will build muscle etc. etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement