Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

A sad day for the employees and for retail in the Republic.

Sad indeed. What will happen to product guarantees I wonder that are still in warranty? Will Argos UK honour them or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,822 ✭✭✭✭muffler

That's a tad unfair to Sainsburys. It was widely reported in the past that the stores were operating at a loss but the company kept the show going for longer than most people would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Staff will have no problem finding another job in any area they want. Every employer in the country is looking for staff.

Probably able to demand a pay rise.

And looks like they will get a generous redundancy package well above the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Staff who have worked there years are far from on min wage (I'm talking about staff not management ) so it's not realistic to say they will probably get a pay rise , more than likely the opposite

Money aside losing your job is never a good thing , that constant in your life , the people you see every day ,etc will now be gone.

I'm sure for some it won't , but the majority ( people I know) it is awful for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I remember when they opened in Ireland... Argos was always great for the odd bargain as well as a great shop to use One4All vouchers.

I will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Very sad news, but unfortunately a sign of the times we are now living in, most if not all of the UK stores are now in Sainsburys stores and the click and collect is very good, if not in stock it can be in stock by 4pm for most items so can be quicker to get than next day from Amazon, always thought they were a great shop and using click and collect was a great way of ensuring your items would be in store when you went in.

For people of a certain age the old school Argos Catalogue was an event to flick through and pick out the wish list of stuff you could not get ! I remember pallets of them outside the stores being stripped bare by the passing public, Different Times.

It did seem like the Irish stores were being stripped back, when I was in the Cork Mahonpoint store a couple of weeks ago getting the best kitchen purchase ever – Tefal Toast and Egg – (which is absolutely brilliant)  there was very little in the store except the basics, no watches on display, no merchandising or popular items no battery display or any impulse buy options behind the checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I’m very shocked to hear the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I'm shocked it took them so long to make this decision, Argos has appeared half-dead for a long time already. Oh well, thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ECookie13

Unlikely. I'd say any stock that's worth something will be sent on a boat to a UK warehouse.

You'd wonder now about warranty claims etc for stuff bought within the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

surely it'd be cheaper to sell it off where they can rather than ship it back to UK (along with taxes involved)?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

I'd imagine most will be shipped back between now and closure , maybe you see some clearance on some items

Trailers will probably be sailing anyways to do top up deliveries and will send back stock then

That's what happened when previous store closures , it was shipped back to UK or redistributed to local stores if that was feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

I'm gutted. Argos was my go-to shop for so many things😥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Argos will still be in the North so they can simply truck it to their stores there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Will miss Argos for the array of weird and wonderful stuff they stocked, and the fact you could get it pretty much right away. Amazon min 2 to 3 day delivery is rubbish. Used to love going on holiday to the uk and flicking through the Argos and index catalogs to see all the toys they sold. For an Irish kid of the 80s, such wonderful toys you never knew existed was a treat to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say they were probably planning it last year but waited until now to see how Christmas sales went before making the final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,408 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Except every time I wanted to use Argos for this very reason I found they didn't have a single item I wanted in stock or anything related to the item, that is if you could even navigate a site that looks like it launched when dial up was still around. Good riddance, terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Argos had some of the best mispriced/deals i ever bought

1) Lenovo mixx 510 for 300 against 700 elsewhere

2) Fenix 6s 275 vs 600 elsewhere

and many more

RiP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

The place was fecking desperate anyway. I could see the writing on the walls a year or two ago. Never anything in stock. Sometimes a product wouldn't be in stock in the entire country, but is still displayed on the website.

Also the website was like something from geocities in 1997. Painful to use. Meanwhile the UK one was perfect and modern. They literally didn't give a **** about their Irish operations. It was like it was left on autopilot until all the stock ran out and it crashed by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sad to hear for the staff, but I think it was always going to go this way. I used to use Argos alot 10 years ago or so, but amazon definitely took over for a lot of stuff and maybe Ikea for the bigger things.

Personally for me it's also kind of sad, I know checkargos hasn't been a thing for a while but I probably will never make anything as popular again 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Got a few bargains there . Winner if they'll have any crazy bargains before they shut.

the managers won't be arguing about honouring a reservation for a mispriced object you reserved any more!

I got a Meta Quest 2 there at Christmas and wondering about warranty.

Their returns were always no hassle as long as you kept the receipt. Currys could take a leaf out of their book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭TheRona

You'll be fine with warranty, just contact Meta if you have issues.

Regarding receipts, I get both Argos and Curry's to email the receipt to me, so I never worry about losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I happened to be in the Clonmel store yesterday just after the announcement - picking up the Acer laptop mentioned on here in the last few days - great bargain.

Staff were upbeat, one staff member been there almost 20 years so looking forward to redundancy package, another not too bothered as plenty of vacancy signs around the town - I’ll miss them, where else can you get a laptop, drill and drill bits and a steamer, at a good price, in the same place.

Store very run down in the last few years, no jewellery on show, no pallets of books showing what’s available, very little stock, little foot fall whenever I was in there, though more yesterday funnily enough. They were one of the big stores in a very empty Showgrounds shopping centre so does’t bode well for Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

sad news for us consumers..... leaves us with less choice in our shopping.

Who next ..... M&S?.

Its all down to Brexit......

see that Parcel Motel closing as well.....

the UK is really being cut off from us ... hope Amazon keep our lines open

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'll miss Argos, very handy at times, and still the odd bargain to be had, plus 500+ people out of a job sucks, but I don't think Argos leaving here is all down to brexit, I'm sure it didn't help but they've been half arsing it for years here, in the UK as well. Huge chunk of Argos UK stores now are within Sainsbury's supermarkets. My home town used to have 2 Argos shops, both closed for years, now it's hardly more than a kiosk in Sainsbury's, they don't have that option here.

Their website was crap, their stock levels were crap, if they'd have put even a small bit of effort in people would be using them more. They just, as I said, half arsed it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

amazon have just opened a warehouse here. i think we're safe with them. M&S could be on the way out. Any time I go into their grocery the shelves are bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Amazon is an American company, doubt you need to worry lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd say M&S must be at risk, though their clothes stores still seem to be busy when I'm in them.

I wouldn't mind losing some of the British multiples if we got some continental ones in exchange - c'mon Leclerc and Carrefour, lots of profit here on Treasure Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Plus they have an EU presence. My last phone purchase was from the German site. At the time the phone was €100 cheaper on amazon.de. I got a German plug so that's a downside but I've a pile phone chargers floating around.

www.hagglezon.com is handy for comparing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Advertisement