Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained Firefighter or Paramedic

Options
  • 14-06-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Guys. Anyone on here with their views on if being a paramedic or retained firefighter is a better career path to follow. Couple of things to note is a paramedic could be stationed away from home for their shifts whereby a firefighter has to stay near home when on call. Paramedic has days off but firefighter is "tied" to pager 24/7. Money is id expect roughly the same for a relatively busy firestation. Paramedic retires 65, 66,, firefighter 55 but can go to 58 on passing annual medical. Whats yer thoughts on "better" career from a lifestyle point cos both really deal with tragic scenarios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Guys. Anyone on here with their views on if being a paramedic or retained firefighter is a better career path to follow. Couple of things to note is a paramedic could be stationed away from home for their shifts whereby a firefighter has to stay near home when on call. Paramedic has days off but firefighter is "tied" to pager 24/7. Money is id expect roughly the same for a relatively busy firestation. Paramedic retires 65, 66,, firefighter 55 but can go to 58 on passing annual medical. Whats yer thoughts on "better" career from a lifestyle point cos both really deal with tragic scenarios

A paramedic is a full time job, a retained firefighter is not and nearly all of them would have other jobs working in the community.

Apart from that they're both emergency services, but vastly different skillsets and interests!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Confused1999

I wonder from a financial point though would you earn more as retained firefighter or paramedic. Im only guessing you are less "tied down" being a paramedic seeing as you have to stay close to your station while on call with fire brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Paramedic has better potential for overtime earnings than retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I'm a NAS Paramedic and I was retained in a past life.

* I loved my time in the fire service, really enjoyed the work.
    * Decided to apply for NAS as I liked being "hands on" at RTCs and helping Paramedics (EMT then).
    * Found it very hard to find a full-time job that would release me for fire calls.
    * Retained FS.....it's a part time job. No real pension, but you pay the pension levy.
    * You are tied to the station.
    * The job isn't as busy now as it used to be in my time.
    * I only realised after I left that I had my life back.

NAS:
    * Permanent.
    * Pensionable.
    * Full time.
    * When you finish you finish, very little on call and only in small pockets of the country.
    * Start at the beginning, but look at progressing to AP or whatever.
    * Stationed far away from home? Put in for a transfer.
    * Lots of OT to bump up your pay.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement