Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walnuts for health

Options
  • 13-06-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

I read an article recently that said if you eat walnuts, make sure to eat the "skin" as 90% of the goodness is in the "skin".

So, what do they mean by the "skin"? Can't be the shell surely?

Maybe it's the kind of crisp fibrous layer between the nut and the shell - but this bit seems to be very tough indeed and most people would be afraid to eat it.

Loads of sites say "make sure to eat the skin" but they never tell you how to identify it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The dark brown colour on the walnut is the skin. You'd be hard pushed to find a walnut without the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The skin is the thin papery covering on the nut.

Most walnuts you get will have the skin. I've seen some people remove the skin for use in cooking or baking but it's a pain in the hole.

Tl;dr Most wealnuts you get will have the skin on them unless sold as having skin removed

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

That's great thanks. So I gather that skinless walnuts would be completely white?

Apparently they are a real super-food - once the "skin" is left on. But it is so difficult NOT to leave the brown covering on that you kind of think the brown covering mustn't be it and it must be something more easily removed or they wouldn't be mentioning it at all.

Warning you not to remove the skin on a walnut seems to be like warning you not to remove the microscopic hairs on a strawberry.

I mean, as if anyone is going to do it? As if anyone has five hours to spend on each walnut?

Struth!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Benedict wrote: »
    That's great thanks. So I gather that skinless walnuts would be completely white?

Apparently they are a real super-food - once the "skin" is left on. But it is so difficult NOT to leave the brown covering on that you kind of think the brown covering mustn't be it and it must be something more easily removed or they wouldn't be mentioning it at all.

Warning you not to remove the skin on a walnut seems to be like warning you not to remove the microscopic hairs on a strawberry.

I mean, as if anyone is going to do it? As if anyone has five hours to spend on each walnut?

Struth!

Was this a scientific study or something you read in men's health?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I read an article recently that said if you eat walnuts, make sure to eat the "skin" as 90% of the goodness is in the "skin".

So, what do they mean by the "skin"? Can't be the shell surely?

Maybe it's the kind of crisp fibrous layer between the nut and the shell - but this bit seems to be very tough indeed and most people would be afraid to eat it.

Loads of sites say "make sure to eat the skin" but they never tell you how to identify it.

I didn't know 90% of the goodness was in the skin. I think I'll just eat the skin from now on and throw the rest away to reduce calorific intake.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Health full stop (not just men's health - although it is claimed that walnuts increase sperm count in men).

Scientifically proven? Well don't forget that there were once scientists who were adamant that the Sun revolved around the Earth (and that the Earth was flat). But if you trawl through a selection of respectable sites you can kind of accept that there is some truth in what you're reading. and the claims about the skin of the walnut are very widely held.

There are nutritionists out there who believe that a fistful of walnuts (with the skin) each day could leave you in fine fettle.

Health full stop (not just men's health - although it is claimed that walnuts increase sperm count in men).

Scientifically proven? Well don't forget that there were once scientists who were adamant that the Sun revolved around the Earth (and that the Earth was flat). But if you trawl through a selection of respectable sites you can kind of accept that there is some truth in what you're reading. and the claims about the skin of the walnut are very widely held.

There are nutritionists out there who believe that a fistful of walnuts (with the skin) each day could have you leaping about like a kangaroo on a pogo stick.
    I'm not doubting that walnuts are good for you. I'm only wondering where you got you information from. You say you read an article, have you a link?

There are nutritionists out there who believe that a fistful of walnuts (with the skin) each day could have you in fine fettle.

I'm not doubting that walnuts are good for you. I'm only wondering where you got you information from. You say you read an article, have you a link?

I didn't read "an" article, I trawled through a wide spectrum of sites to get a general view. For example www.bbc.com/news/health-12865291.

The BBC would be an example of a respectable site. But I agree it's not proof or anything.

One thing none of them seemed to explain was how you identify the "skin" - but good old Boards.ie did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Health full stop (not just men's health - although it is claimed that walnuts increase sperm count in men

There are nutritionists out there who believe that a fistful of walnuts (with the skin) each day could have you in fine fettle.

I have a handful of walnuts in my porridge every morning. Last time we set about adding to the family it happened first time...make of that what you will

• Advertisement

I have a handful of walnuts in my porridge every morning. Last time we set about adding to the family it happened first time...make of that what you will

Nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam_Doyle

I am a vegan and I eat only a raw food. Trust me, it's the healthiest. I found Dr.Morse and just take a few minutes and listen what he is talking about. An amazing spiritual guy, very smart person. Here is the link on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/robertmorsend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sam_Doyle wrote: »
    I am a vegan and I eat only a raw food. Trust me, it's the healthiest. I found Dr.Morse and just take a few minutes and listen what he is talking about. An amazing spiritual guy, very smart person. Here is the link on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/robertmorsend

I thought he was just an inspector.

Colour me impressed.

Advertisement