Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ab belts anyone?

Options
  • 12-06-2017 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi there,

There's no real ab machine at my gym so I basically work the arms or legs. I've got one of those wheel roller things but thinking of getting one of the belts. Are they still recognised as actually doing what they say they and does anyone recommend one from personal use?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hi there,

There's no real ab machine at my gym so I basically work the arms or legs. I've got one of those wheel roller things but thinking of getting one of the belts. Are they still recognised as actually doing what they say they and does anyone recommend one from personal use?
    Cheers

Magic beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Some moderator you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Who needs a machine.

Pick up a plate and do weighted crunches.

Or Russian twists.

Or planks.

Or give me twenty quid and I'll send you some snake oil to rub on your abs, guarantees results in thirty days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you have an ab wheel, then use it. You'll get actual results.

The only result you'll get from an 'ab belt' is embarrassment at wasting your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

If it can hit your ab muscles then it will work. Slendertone are the main players in that market IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

If it can hit your ab muscles then it will work. Slendertone are the main players in that market IIRC.

Lol.

Some moderator you are.

Okay cool. Ab belts are 100% genuine. Buy the most expensive one you can find cos that'll be the best one. You should be ripped within 10 days and you can basically just eat donuts all you want.

Thanks. I'll stick with the wheel and planks so. Cheers.

Some moderator you are.

Okay cool. Ab belts are 100% genuine. Buy the most expensive one you can find cos that'll be the best one. You should be ripped within 10 days and you can basically just eat donuts all you want.

I don't eat donuts and am not looking for miracles as I don't need one. Thanks for your input and I hope you find a machine or some magic beans for that heavy chip you're carrying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Some moderator you are.

Mod note: Nervous Wreck isn't a mod of this forum, not that it really matters. If you have a problem with a post, please use the report function.

Any questions, PM me

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

Would Cristiano Ronaldo endorse such a product if it didn't work?

Six pad I think it's called.

He seems a man of integrity.

Wonder how much he got paid for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Pterosaur wrote: »

Yes? Of course he would. He doesn't have a fucking clue how it works. They drove a dump truck of money up to his house. I guarantee you he never used it before that promotion and never used it after. I also guarantee you it had exactly zero to do with how he got or stays in shape.

lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA45cq0i2AA
    That belly rub makes me feel slimy.

Pterosaur wrote: »

Six pad I think it's called.

He seems a man of integrity.

Wonder how much he got paid for that.

He also endorses KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I like the ab wheel also do fall outs if they have trx and weighted cable crunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Zillah wrote: »
    Yes? Of course he would. He doesn't have a fucking clue how it works. They drove a dump truck of money up to his house. I guarantee you he never used it before that promotion and never used it after. I also guarantee you it had exactly zero to do with how he got or stays in shape.

Pretty sure you missed the hint of sarcasm here....!

Zillah wrote: »

I think he was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

A friend of mine is a scientist/inventor who works in that area.

He made an interesting point about them belts. Firstly, they do work, not in the crazy magical way the adverts say, but if you use them on a high setting, you will quickly find they have results. I've used one and It works just fine, especially on my lazy days.

The other point he made was that they have an interesting property that he said is difficult to replicate during regular exercise.
    The point was that it is a new ability to have the muscle try to contract whilst simultaneously be in a position that does not allow it to contract.
    When we contract a muscle manually, we nearly always move into a position that shortens it, that is the point of the contraction. Eg: sit ups.
    Yet whilst lying flat on my back, the ab belt can contract this muscle yet i dont change my position. Obviously it doesnt contract it all the way or else my position would change by result,
    However he said that it offers the possibility to tighten, strengthen and tone up parts of that muscle that usually would not get as much activity as the position changes.

I found it pretty logical and interesting.

Oh he also suggested, using the ab belt whilst walking for a much added benefit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I was so disgusted by someone thinking Ronaldo's endorsement meant anything that I skipped half of his post in my eagerness to pour scorn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I think if youve ANY inclination to use something like that with the intended purpose of abs, then Id seriously question what the rest of your training and nutrition looks like or lack there of

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    I think if youve ANY inclination to use something like that with the intended purpose of abs, then Id seriously question what the rest of your training and nutrition looks like or lack there of

THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN CR7's JOCKS EMPIRE?

That's the hilarious thing about these things.

Get someone with abs to advertise this abs thing -> make people think that's where the abs came from -> profit.

Now that I think of it, I have a business proposition for you: there's an ab roller at home. You take a selfie with it, I put it on DoneDeal and we split the proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN CR7's JOCKS EMPIRE?

That's the hilarious thing about these things.

Get someone with abs to advertise this abs thing -> make people think that's where the abs came from -> profit.

Now that I think of it, I have a business proposition for you: there's an ab roller at home. You take a selfie with it, I put it on DoneDeal and we split the proceeds.
    So long as you call is the Mega Roller 2000 model as used by Adonis McShirtoff

Transform wrote: »
    So long as you call is the Mega Roller 2000 model as used by Adonis McShirtoff

I'll change the name now.

And move the decimal to the right on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is it the same principle with those vibration plates? Shock yourself to a better body. *reaches fork towards plug socket*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

cloudatlas wrote:
    Is it the same principle with those vibration plates? Shock yourself to a better body. *reaches fork towards plug socket*

Well, nothing like regular doses of electricution to encourage someone to do a sit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Joking aside, I found them very useful on my back when I had a serious disk injury.
    Bodytek was the brand I think.
    Basically helped relieve pain from chronic spasming muscles. 10 mins on my back relaxed everything.
    Same thing as TENS that physios use.

...as for abs, everyone knows they're built in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

manonboard wrote: »
    Firstly, they do work, not in the crazy magical way the adverts say, but if you use them on a high setting, you will quickly find they have results. I've used one and It works just fine, especially on my lazy days.
    Ok, let's get the bombshell out of the way. How do they work, what results do they produce?

• Spot reduces belly fat?
    • Abdominal muscle hypertrophy?
    • Increase energy expenditure? How much?
    • Sore Belly
    • All or None of the above
    The point was that it is a new ability to have the muscle try to contract whilst simultaneously be in a position that does not allow it to contract.
    When we contract a muscle manually, we nearly always move into a position that shortens it, that is the point of the contraction. Eg: sit ups.
    Yet whilst lying flat on my back, the ab belt can contract this muscle yet i dont change my position. Obviously it doesnt contract it all the way or else my position would change by result,
    However he said that it offers the possibility to tighten, strengthen and tone up parts of that muscle that usually would not get as much activity as the position changes.
    I think your friend is spoofing about being a scientist. As the above is a load of rubbish.

Contracting a muscle without shorting is called an isometric. Contracting a muscle while lengthening is an eccentric. Hold your arm up In front of you and keep it there for a second. Congrats, you're contracting your shoulder.

It's not just easy to replicate with weights, it's almost impossible to avoid. The begatibe part of every rep, every step, every movement other than falling due to gravity. You literally do it 10 of 1000s of times every day.

A "scientist" would know that. Well unless they're the electrical scientist designing the battery pack.

Advertisement