Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on a Current Story of mine

Options
  • 11-06-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So curently, I've been writing a story called 'Alex Harlow' on a site called 'Quotev'. It's 5 chapters in (including the Prolouge) and it has been going for almost 10 weeks. In this time, I'd say that it's doing quite well. However, I would like some feedback. Here is a link to the story
    https://www.quotev.com/story/9383472/Alex-Harlow/1
    Please do keep in mind that the story has only just touched the tip of the iceburg and there're a lot more events that need to be covered and the events that have happened will effect the main character and will be brought up again in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

It's a lively story, I'm guessing you're having a lot of fun writing it. Go for it!
    If I can offer two pieces of advice:
    - don't introduce the Alex back story at this point. After chapter 1 you had me bought into the primary story line, then you have 3+ chapters of a secondary storyline. You need to keep the focus, keep the pace up. Also, Alex was a very intriguing character, dangerous and unknown. The victim-of-bullying backstory is taking away that intrigue.
    - your prose is a little clunky in places. You lose pace here and there, some of the dialogue doesn't flow. It's a very good exercise to read your work aloud, you get a much better feel for what the reader is getting from it.
    None of this is intended as criticism, you know your work is good so, like I said, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dat one kid

km85264 wrote: »
    It's a lively story, I'm guessing you're having a lot of fun writing it. Go for it!
    If I can offer two pieces of advice:
    - don't introduce the Alex back story at this point. After chapter 1 you had me bought into the primary story line, then you have 3+ chapters of a secondary storyline. You need to keep the focus, keep the pace up. Also, Alex was a very intriguing character, dangerous and unknown. The victim-of-bullying backstory is taking away that intrigue.
    - your prose is a little clunky in places. You lose pace here and there, some of the dialogue doesn't flow. It's a very good exercise to read your work aloud, you get a much better feel for what the reader is getting from it.
    None of this is intended as criticism, you know your work is good so, like I said, go for it.
    Thank you very much! Yes, I do have a lot of fun writing this sotry. If I may reply to some of your feedback:
    I know that the 'background of severe bullying' is pretty cliche and uninteresting, however, as said in the story, this is only the tip of the iceburg to Alex's story and I wouldn't call it the primary storyline.
    The rest of it was rather helpful. Thank you very much! :)

Advertisement