Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Street Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume its all to do with this city centre movement strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

ofcork wrote: »
    I assume its all to do with this city centre movement strategy.

More wider footpaths/Narrow roads?

Also heard that Grenville place (Around the mercy) is to be turned into a plaza.

I believe so and castle street traffic will be reversed which looks strange to me.

ofcork wrote: »
    I believe so and castle street traffic will be reversed which looks strange to me.

Seen it being lined on Friday for the traffic reversal, the last time something looked that weird was when two way traffic was introduced at the Patrick's bridge end of merchants quay in 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

KC161 wrote: »
    Seen it being lined on Friday for the traffic reversal, the last time something looked that weird was when two way traffic was introduced at the Patrick's bridge end of merchants quay in 2001.

Yeah, Grenville place is going one way so the traffic island is replacing a ghost island that was there already. Changes the Grenville Place should improve pedestrian, ambulance access around the Mercy. Castle Street has now switched direction also.
    Back on topic, I would eat my hat ofTesco Paul St. closed. It might not be the most glamorous supermarket around but it is very busy with just the type of shopper tesco want (basket a day, dinner and a bpttle of wine, etc). I can see the whole centre being redeveloped at some point but closing, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I heard on pretty good authority that Tesco, Paul Street is set to close.

While it's a pretty rubbish Tesco, I do think it would be a loss to the city centre. Also, I can't see any of the other businesses in there surviving without Tesco or a replacement tenant.

I'm not much of a fan of Tesco but I think this is a setback for the city centre, just as things seemed to be getting better.

I heard U2 are gonna play "where the streets have no name" live from the top level of the carpark to mark it's 30th year anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Yeah, Grenville place is going one way so the traffic island is replacing a ghost island that was there already. Changes the Grenville Place should improve pedestrian, ambulance access around the Mercy. Castle Street has now switched direction also.

Came across these maps on the council site:

Castle-Street.jpg
    2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

zetalambda wrote: »
    I heard U2 are gonna play "where the streets have no name" live from the top level of the carpark to mark it's 30th year anniversary.

I've heard that Michael Jackson is going to have a comeback tour, and that it'll the first gig will be at pair ui choimh., support acts will include the original 5 beetles, Kirk cobain, Janis joplin, dennis wilson and Karen carpenter.

Be there... or be dead in a square box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

mikeecho wrote: »
    I've heard that Michael Jackson is going to have a comeback tour, and that it'll the first gig will be at pair ui choimh., support acts will include the original 5 beetles, Kirk cobain, Janis joplin, dennis wilson and Karen carpenter.

Be there... or be dead in a square box

Oh I might go to that.Where is this "pair ui choimh" that you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

magentis wrote: »
    Oh I might go to that.Where is this "pair ui choimh" that you speak of?

I'm also curious as to who The Beetles and Kirk Cobain are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

This kerb is a right pain in the butt. Not only has traffic coming down Grattan St lost the right of way, anybody trying to get in the right hand lane has to go from the left lane which I think slows down traffic unnecessarily.

https://ibb.co/iWH6iQ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Captain Kirk Cobain man, wise up would'ya

Oh I love that beetles song "dingleberry fields forever".

D'Agger wrote: »
    Captain Kirk Cobain man, wise up would'ya

Starrr trekkin across the universe.

You would think they would adjust the lights at washington st/grand parade junction now 5 times they changed today trying to get onto grand parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

That one way street setup is a terrible change.

If you are parked at the Mercy you can no longer access Little Hannover Street to access the Western Road. Instead you have to an already clogged Grattan Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

I head along there after work most evenings (luckily either on my bike or running), the traffic tailback along Grenville Place definitely seems a lot worse than before. Strange as traffic going that way now has right of way over anything coming up Grattan St?

opus wrote: »
    I head along there after work most evenings (luckily either on my bike or running), the traffic tailback along Grenville Place definitely seems a lot worse than before. Strange as traffic going that way now has right of way over anything coming up Grattan St?

This is the bit i find weird, the changes are still out of place to me also.

Is this all part of making a plaza at Grenville place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭sporina

well its obviously not closing, as they have done a revamp = which I hate by the way.. its like one big open fridge - half of the store anyway - and the isles do not flow well imo.. will take me a while to get use to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

sporina wrote: »
    well its obviously not closing, as they have done a revamp = which I hate by the way.. its like one big open fridge - half of the store anyway - and the isles do not flow well imo.. will take me a while to get use to it

I was the same when I was in there today going what's after going on here !!!!!.

I was all confused as they moved everything ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I hope blind faith isn't put into such unreliable sources again.
    Bad form spreading it in such a public forum, esp if it worried any of the oblivious staff (manners and common decency etc..).

I hope blind faith isn't put into such unreliable sources again.
    Bad form spreading it in such a public forum, esp if it worried any of the oblivious staff (manners and common decency etc..).

Look, I obviously didn't make it up and said it here in good faith because of the source.
    It seems like it was not accurate which baffles me as it came from a public official at a public meeting.
    Going on about manners and common decency is a bit over the top, imo. There clearly was no malice in what I did. As I understood it, it was already in the public domain.

It must be wonderful to be as wonderful a citizen as you, munster

It must be wonderful to be as wonderful a citizen as you, munster
    Never claimed to be that, so not sure where you saw it. Maybe you hit your head when falling down from your high horse?

Minster, go back to bed and try getting out the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am delighted you got put in your place for making up a a white lie about Tesco in Paul st.

Fake news !!!! ;)

Obnoxious? Maybe you should return to the langers forum.
    Had a great sleep, thanks. Up good and early to enjoy the day. Hope it goes well for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭goochy

Merchants quay sc is closing or is it a revamp ??!!

goochy wrote: »
    Merchants quay sc is closing or is it a revamp ??!!

Changing the red brick to a glass frontage I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭goochy

More than that . Big revamp .

• Advertisement

Advertisement