Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to gain weight

Options
  • 08-06-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice. Over the years ive tried and failed to put on weight, this is partly because of expensive food prices and physically not being able to eat very much. Growing up we never had much food in the house besides frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets and other processed foods so I was always very skinny and rarely ate, because of that im very picky about food and particular about it being fresh ect.
    The problem is over the last month ive been making a big effort to get my 2000 calories everyday but im finding it difficult to even reach 1000 so im being easy on my self and just aiming for atleast one good meal a day and some healthy(ish) snacks like fruit, yoghurt, peanut butter on toast, chocolate spread, dried fruit and nuts im also adding things onto food like olive oil and butter, I feel im doing well then add up the calories and ive hardly reached 600. Today I had spinach, peas, salmon, bread roll and baked potato, dried fruit that ive been snacking on and I honestly cant eat anymore. Sorry for the long post but would anyone have tips on high calorie foods that arent really expensive..Ive stocked up on peanut butter, avocados, bananas and sesame butter and wondering what else I can include. Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Eat more often. Every few hours. If you try and do it within the confines of a single meal and some snacks, you'll struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

I tried eating more often but I cant, once I eat something small my appetite is gone and im trying to force feed myself so I end up eating less. Waiting until im hungry then eating a large meal seems to allow me to eat more than I otherwise would by eating little and often.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I tried eating more often but I cant, once I eat something small my appetite is gone and im trying to force feed myself so I end up eating less. Waiting until im hungry then eating a large meal seems to allow me to eat more than I otherwise would by eating little and often.

Calorie dense foods don't need to be expensive.

If you're struggling to do it with the one meal plus snacks method, you need to try an alternative.

And drink more full fat milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're going to consult a nutritionist, don't. Consult with a dietitian. Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist. A dietitian is trained and qualified.

Nutritionist is to dietitian as thoothioligist is to dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I'm trying to increase amount I eat. Seeds and nuts are brilliant. I pack in 600 calories a day and they're not filling at all. Use coconut and olive oil too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Firstly, you need to start off with a proper breakfast. Porridge made with milk would be good. This will "kick start" your appetite for the rest of the day. I was wicked for skipping breakfast when I was younger and I wouldn't be hungry then either later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Copied and pasted from another thread:
    Have a Shake blended up and drink it throughout the day. I used to do this.
    Water, peanut butter, whey protein, cashew nuts,, porridge oats and a banana. It was around 1100 calories and didn't make me feel bloated. Nearly 50g protein. Adjust the water content for thicker or smoother. Oh yea, and it's delicious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

^^this, even replace the water with full fat milk. Liquidising calories is the quickest and easiest way of taking them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Thanks everyone, these are all great suggestions ill definitely try the shake. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

High energy food blended are easy way to get calories in.
    But if eating one small meal a day will never be enough. 3 is the absolute minimum

Advertisement