Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great. Another bloody media circus.

Although, considering that Keith Higgins kneed another player in the balls yesterday, to zero media outrage, compare to Dermo's, I'm starting to consider Dermo may have been hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

ProudDUB wrote: »

Although, considering that Keith Higgins kneed another player in the balls yesterday, to zero media outrage, compare to Dermo's, I'm starting to consider Dermo may have been hard done by.

Don't forget to mention Cillian "elbows" O'Connor ;)

Or Greg Louganis as we call him here. Oh sorry, that's Aido, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"Diarmuid Connolly in Refusing To Accept Punishment For His Actions Shocker"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Should have taken it. Doesn't matter what anyone else has gotten away with over weekend or what the provocation.

I know people were slagging Mullane over his apparent bias against the stripey lads but he held his hands up when suspended a few years back. Nearly any appeal will be won on some technical basis.

Let's hope hubris does not play a part and he get himself sent off in August or September!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

He didn't get away with it at the time though. He was rightly sent off and will rightly receive a ban. Not comparable incidents at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jaysis yeah .. and I wouldn't mind but C O'Connor had stepped up into the panto villains boots so well yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Jaysis yeah .. and I wouldn't mind but C O'Connor had stepped up into the panto villains boots so well yesterday

Had he though?
    It is interesting that Higgins can knee a guy in the b*lls, yet O'Connor is the panto villain for going to ground after being fouled, with the ref wrongly deciding that it was a black card.

You lads really should get over this personal dislike of O'Connor. It is clouding your judgement.

On the Connolly appeal, surely this 'shot to nothing' idea, where there isn't much hope but sure we will appeal anyway because you never know, is in fact the very definition of a frivolous appeal. In other sports these are punished severely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is there a sleeping emoji available on boards.ie yet?

Mayo, all counties appeal these things, including your own - wrongly in my view - because they have trained legal back up who almost invariably pick holes in the "verdict."

Makes a bit of a joke of disciplinary measures but there you go. A reflection of what Ireland has become perhaps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone know on what grounds he's appealing or if thats public knowledge yet?

Can't for the life of me work out why he should accept it. If he was in danger of getting the ban increased (incidentally thats what should happen if you fail on appeal) then maybe but thats not going to happen.

He's every right to appeal and shouldn't be shouldered with any of the games burdens imo. Every single inter county manager would fight tooth and nail to get their best players off...Dublin are no different. In short, I agree he's guilty but i respect his right to fight his own corner and not to be scorned for it.

Corny, he is appealing on basis that legal advice is that proper procedures were not followed. GAA needs fkn US Supreme Court at this stage.

There is hardly any suspension now that is not over turned on appeal. As said before, hopefully, he doesn't come back and lose us an All Ireland. Plain as that.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Mayo, all counties appeal these things, including your own - wrongly in my view - because they have trained legal back up who almost invariably pick holes in the "verdict."

Makes a bit of a joke of disciplinary measures but there you go. A reflection of what Ireland has become perhaps!

All counties don't appeal these things. Tipperary didn't appeal for example. While Mayo haven't had anyone get into a physical altercation with a ref in my memory.

It depends on the details of the appeal obviously - some appeals are warranted of course, but if the appeal is just this shot in the dark kinda thing, that people are claiming it to be, where the thinking is 'well they are hardly going to increase it so we will chance our arm'. That is 100% a frivolous appeal. When you factor in that we are talking about something as serious as a physical altercation with a linesman, at some point the gaa have to push back against this attitude.
    I mean, where does it stop? Should mayo appeal higgins' red card? Id consider that a disgrace if we did, but it is not all that dissimilar...

Had he though?
    It is interesting that Higgins can knee a guy in the b*lls, yet O'Connor is the panto villain for going to ground after being fouled, with the ref wrongly deciding that it was a black card.

You lads really should get over this personal dislike of O'Connor. It is clouding your judgement.

On the Connolly appeal, surely this 'shot to nothing' idea, where there isn't much hope but sure we will appeal anyway because you never know, is in fact the very definition of a frivolous appeal. In other sports these are punished severely.

We really don't need to get over anything regarding CO'C, thanks very much. We have had a ringside seat, to his carry on over the past five years. Of course we are going to call him out on his diving, his sneaky elbows, his petulance and his contant whinging in the refs ear. (Charges that can rarely be laid at Lee Keegans door btw. A giant of a man and a player, in comparision to O'Connor imo. Keegan is a player I have tons of respect for.) If you don't like to hear the truth about one of your own, that is too bad.

Where else is the panto villanesque outrage coming from exactly, apart from here? Was his carry on singled out on the Sunday Game last night? Was it the lead story in loads of news paper articles this morning? Will it be the lead GAA story on all the Monday podcasts and radio shows today? Will it be wrtten about ad nauseum, all week long? Will so called commentators who weren't even at the game, or didn't even watch it live, be weighing in with their opinions on what he did? Good luck waiting for any of that to happen. St Cillians got off scot free, yet again.

But if given a choice, I'd much rather be blaggarded and have the 4 All Ireland medals in the back pocket, than to be tagged with the lovable loser/butter wouldn't melt personas in journos and commentators minds, due to having eff all Celtic Crosses, despite years of trying and so called bad luck. Each to his own.

Okay, maybe all counties do not, but most do. Usually on basis of stuff to do with notebooks and notifications blah de blah.

Said before, Dublin and Connolly should have taken this on chin. You can't be pushing refs and linesmen. For any reason.

We really don't need to do get over anything regarding CO'C, thanks very much. We have had a ringside seat, to his carry on over the past five years. Of course we are going to call him out on his diving, his sneaky elbows, his petulance and his contant whinging in the refs ear. Charges that can rarely be laid at Lee Keegans door btw. A giant of a man and a player, in comparision to O'Connor. If you don't like to hear the truth about one of your own, that is too bad.

I dont want to make the thing about O'Connor but you made the effort to make the point, so I will respond to these issues you have.

First off, he doesn't dive, he go to ground under contact, like all forwards and many defenders do - like Connolly did to get keegan a black card in last years replay. Sorry but that is just being smart. They aren't dives though, and he is far from alone. Singling him out is just biased observation.

Sneaky elbows, I'll call it straight, this is bs. Players use their arms to give themselves space and hold off opponents, particularly guys who use strength over speed. Sometimes they connect with people trying to get close to them. Eoghan O'Gara is always doing it. Comer was throwing his arms around all day long yesterday also. No outcry about him? Again, just one-sided adjudication, because you don't like the guy.

Does he be onto refs at free kicks etc. Yes. So does every captain, and plenty more who aren't - McMahon for example never shuts up talking to the ref - often when he is completely wrong, do you dislike him too?

As for petulance, this seems to stem from him getting annoyed after John Small swung an arm at him on the ground and got away with it. Think about that for a second. A guy swings an arm at his head, it is clearly seen by the linesman, and gets away with it completely, and people are finding fault with him, not the guy swinging his arms... That sums up the attitude towards O'Connor. If that was the other way around and small reacted, you would be saying O'Connor is throwing sneaky digs rather than small being petulant... The dice is completely loaded against him.
    Where else is the panto villanesque outrage coming from exactly, apart from here? Was his carry on singled out on the Sunday Game last night? Was it the lead story in loads of news paper articles this morning? Will it be the lead GAA story on all the Monday podcasts and radio shows today? Will it be wrtten about ad nauseum, all week long? Will so called commentators who weren't even at the game, or didn't even watch it live, be weighing in with their opinions on what he did? Good luck waiting for any of that to happen. St Cillians got off scot free, yet again.

Did you ever consider that he 'got off scot free', because you are blowing out of proportion in your own head the things he is actually doing? He isn't doing anything that other players aren't also doing, and not being called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If it turns out that the mention of Connolly putting poor Brannigan in fear of his mortal life was actually an addendum to the ref's report then I think the DCB are right to call shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

They were talking on RTE about "something having changed since Friday" which encouraged Dublin to appeal the suspension. Does anybody know if any new information came to light?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They were talking on RTE about "something having changed since Friday" which encouraged Dublin to appeal the suspension. Does anybody know if any new information came to light?

Maybe the chance of meeting Mayo in the quarter final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I dont want to make the thing about O'Connor but you made the effort to make the point, so I will respond to these issues you have.

First off, he doesn't dive, he go to ground under contact, like all forwards and many defenders do - like Connolly did to get keegan a black card in last years replay. Sorry but that is just being smart. They aren't dives though, and he is far from alone. Singling him out is just biased observation.

Sneaky elbows, I'll call it straight, this is bs. Players use their arms to give themselves space and hold off opponents, particularly guys who use strength over speed. Sometimes they connect with people trying to get close to them. Eoghan O'Gara is always doing it. Comer was throwing his arms around all day long yesterday also. No outcry about him? Again, just one-sided adjudication, because you don't like the guy.

Does he be onto refs at free kicks etc. Yes. So does every captain, and plenty more who aren't - McMahon for example never shuts up talking to the ref - often when he is completely wrong, do you dislike him too?

As for petulance, this seems to stem from him getting annoyed after John Small swung an arm at him on the ground and got away with it. Think about that for a second. A guy swings an arm at his head, it is clearly seen by the linesman, and gets away with it completely, and people are finding fault with him, not the guy swinging his arms... That sums up the attitude towards O'Connor. If that was the other way around and small reacted, you would be saying O'Connor is throwing sneaky digs rather than small being petulant... The dice is completely loaded against him.

Did you ever consider that he 'got off scot free', because you are blowing out of proportion in your own head the things he is actually doing? He isn't doing anything that other players aren't also doing, and not being called for.

The reason for the sneaky elbows reference is that the dubs can't get over that he the cheek to drop an elbow back on Rory O'Carroll (I think) couple of years back, when O'Carroll was holding on to him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Pure cynicism by the Dublin GAA to appeal Connolly's Ban. This all results from Galway's defeat of Mayo yesterday. Wheras the status quo would have seen Kerry meet Mayo in the All-Ireland Semi-Final assuming both Counties reached that far. Mayo now look destined to meet Dublin on the other side of the draw either in a Quarter Final or Semi-Final. Mayo are a great team but don't get going until mid-July or August.

Connolly's appeal is a direct reaction to the threat posed by Mayo as Mayo could dispose of Dublin handily in a quarter or semi final especially if Dublin are missing him. However the elephant in the room is the colossus in the Kingdom which are waiting in the long grass this year for Dublin. But with Yesterday's result I'm predicting a Kerry - Mayo Final and more misery for the westerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

The reason for the sneaky elbows reference is that the dubs can't get over that he the cheek to drop an elbow back on Rory O'Carroll (I think) couple of years back, when O'Carroll was holding on to him.

Haha so every time a jersey is being held the one doing the pulling should be rightfully elbowed in the face? Good logic that....

O'Connor is the dirtiest most cowardly player in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Doltanian wrote: »
    Pure cynicism by the Dublin GAA to appeal Connolly's Ban. This all results from Galway's defeat of Mayo yesterday. Wheras the status quo would have seen Kerry meet Mayo in the All-Ireland Semi-Final assuming both Counties reached that far. Mayo now look destined to meet Dublin on the other side of the draw either in a Quarter Final or Semi-Final. Mayo are a great team but don't get going until mid-July or August.

Connolly's appeal is a direct reaction to the threat posed by Mayo as Mayo could dispose of Dublin handily in a quarter or semi final especially if Dublin are missing him. However the elephant in the room is the colossus in the Kingdom which are waiting in the long grass this year for Dublin. But with Yesterday's result I'm predicting a Kerry - Mayo Final and more misery for the westerners.

Mayo can't meet Dublin until the final
    Mayo are in kerrys side of draw so can not meet in final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

EICVD wrote: »

Ffs we can't even hold that title anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

We really don't need to get over anything regarding CO'C, thanks very much. We have had a ringside seat, to his carry on over the past five years. Of course we are going to call him out on his diving, his sneaky elbows, his petulance and his contant whinging in the refs ear. (Charges that can rarely be laid at Lee Keegans door btw. A giant of a man and a player, in comparision to O'Connor imo. Keegan is a player I have tons of respect for.) If you don't like to hear the truth about one of your own, that is too bad.

But if given a choice, I'd much rather be blaggarded and have the 4 All Ireland medals in the back pocket, than to be tagged with the lovable loser/butter wouldn't melt personas in journos and commentators minds, due to having eff all Celtic Crosses, despite years of trying and so called bad luck. Each to his own.

Another disciplinary issue with Diarmuid Connolly and you're ranting and raving about Cillian O'Connor and getting digs in about Mayo.

And we're the ones who can't accept the truth? If you pop over to the Mayo thread you'll see plenty of discussion on the above.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ffs we can't even hold that title anymore.

Well.... no I won't, it's a nice day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Gael85

PressRun wrote: »
    Another disciplinary issue with Diarmuid Connolly and you're ranting and raving about Cillian O'Connor and getting digs in about Mayo.

And we're the ones who can't accept the truth? If you pop over to the Mayo thread you'll see plenty of discussion on the above.

I think its Cillian O'Connor that getting the digs in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Gael85 wrote: »
    I think its Cillian O'Connor that getting the digs in :D

Himself and Dermo are two peas in a pod so!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

EICVD wrote: »
    Haha so every time a jersey is being held the one doing the pulling should be rightfully elbowed in the face? Good logic that....

I wouldn't argue with you said he's the biggest mouth / pain / blaggard / narky p***k but dirtiest and cowardly is way off the mark.

He will throw his body on his line to win anything, far from cowardly. He knew he was going to get hit yesterday when he won that black card. And there's no doubt about it, he took his hit and won it. I wouldn't class him as a particularly dirty player either, a lot of his game is more about enticing digs than giving them.

I don't know when this holier than thou attitude crept in but if you're holding someone back, grabbing a jersey or a hand then you're expecting a dig. I would go as far as saying you're wanting a dig if it might lead to a red card.
    Cooper didn't need to hold onto Murphy's hand in the Carlow match, he was looking for a reaction and got it. I've no issue with the player in that instance, the GAA has had long enough to stamp it out at this stage. Players will do what they have to or can get away with.

You could even call him the biggest cheat in the game and I wouldn't argue as long as it was recognised that cheating is part and parcel of the game (whether most people are willing to admit it or not) and has been for as long as I'm around. Hands are grabbed in tackles, players will fall into tackles, will stay down at times to make a tackle look worse, will argue for lineballs / 45's / frees that they know aren't theirs. Cillian has mastered that whether we call it cute, cheating or whatever... he is number 1 for that. His success will probably cause him an issue or two down the line, the dog on the street knows what he's up to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Doltanian wrote: »

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement