Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

We have had an issue at the back for a while now and far to often there are huge gaps there that luckily we haven't really been punished for. We tend to give teams a lot of room and a bit of a head start in a lot of games. Its not until the second half when you see things start to tighten up. There will no doubt be a day where we really get hit for it! It could of been Monaghan.

Commerford has done very well so far this season which is obviously a big plus the kick outs are not always perfect as u would expect from Dublin but look who hes replacing there!

Where top of Division 1 yet still have Con Connolly Macauley Mccaffery Cooper and Cluxton all to come back in!!

If where stuttering when everyone is back and lads are still not fully firing then we can start talking about issues. I cant see it happening though hopefully :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I didn't watch it back on the tele but did they show replays of Michael Murphys elbow on David Byrne? Happened right in front of me. Not for the first time he went in not looking for the ball but to badly injure a player.

He's a individual who always seems to avoid censure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

corny wrote: »
    I didn't watch it back on the tele but did they show replays of Michael Murphys elbow on David Byrne? Happened right in front of me. Not for the first time he went in not looking for the ball but to badly injure a player.

He's a disgusting individual who always seems to avoid censure.

Tyrone player just sent off for the exact same thing. Should be banned for 3 games minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Some win for Galway hopefully we do something similar to Tyrone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Speaks volumes about where your head is at referring to someone you don't know as a 'disgusting individual'.

You don't know the first thing about him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Best player ireland has seen in the last decade and probably in the one previous also.

I'm not a donegal fan, in fact I'm a rival neighbour but he is top class. Never was a dirty player. In the last year or two he's had to hold his own. Being a monster of a man he's constantly targeted, hauled by 2-3 players every single game. He is the heartbeat of any team and would be the number 1 player in any team in Ireland. That Dublin team would revolve around him if he was in it.

Aidan O'Shea and Kieran Donaghy have had to throw their weight about as they were subject to the same treatment in every game (coincidently from Dublin backs also ;) ). As a human being you'd get sick of it too.

Connolly does the same.

Maybe it was a red card yes, don't doubt that, but to label him as a disgusting individual is hilarious. Go back to the soccer. It's not tiddlywinks we're playing.

These modern bits of analysis about players being thugs and sc*mbags... honestly?! GAA is an amateur organisation, these lads earn their living like most of us and do this as a volunteer at the evenings and weekends. If they were all ex convicts or had criminal records then maybe I'd see your point.

For now stick to the premiership before you come out with such a ridiculous attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Murphy is undoubtedly a superb footballer, one of Irelands greatest even if it is a shame he spent so much of his career toiling out the field instead of playing as a pure full forward.

But he is no saint and has many times gotten away with things that others wouldn't, I've seen a good few things from him over the years that should have been red or black cards but only got a talking to or a just a yellow.

Some lads get treated more harshly than others and seem to always pick up red cards, while others be at the same antics and get away with it. Murphy is definitely the latter.

Yesterday Tyrone had a lad sent off for a high shoulder challenge whereas Murphy got just a card for his elbow challenge. Should have been a straight red all day long. If Connolly had done it I imagine it would have been a red card. These things happen in games but I wouldn't quite see Murphy as some innocent soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Best player ireland has seen in the last decade and probably in the one previous also.

I'm not a donegal fan, in fact I'm a rival neighbour but he is top class. Never was a dirty player. In the last year or two he's had to hold his own. Being a monster of a man he's constantly targeted, hauled by 2-3 players every single game. He is the heartbeat of any team and would be the number 1 player in any team in Ireland. That Dublin team would revolve around him if he was in it.

Aidan O'Shea and Kieran Donaghy have had to throw their weight about as they were subject to the same treatment in every game (coincidently from Dublin backs also ;) ). As a human being you'd get sick of it too.

Connolly does the same.

Maybe it was a red card yes, don't doubt that, but to label him as a disgusting individual is hilarious. Go back to the soccer. It's not tiddlywinks we're playing.

These modern bits of analysis about players being thugs and sc*mbags... honestly?! GAA is an amateur organisation, these lads earn their living like most of us and do this as a volunteer at the evenings and weekends. If they were all ex convicts or had criminal records then maybe I'd see your point.

For now stick to the premiership before you come out with such a ridiculous attack.

Whatever other nonsense is in your post, this takes the biscuit.
    I cant think of a single other player than Murphy that has been involved in more head high tackles currently playing. Disgusting was appropriate (in relation to his tackle!!), as he's been involved in numerous disgusting tackles in his career.

You've got a couple of thinly veiled digs in there, says more about you than you think... the mask slipped a bit there didnt it. But we know your type sunshine, ten a penny around here :D

The thing about being a Dub on cesspits like this forum, is that we get to see so many of our players being called x,y,z, and no one ever bats an eyelid. Lads are obsessed with us, we get it, we're under the spotlight.
    But its quite funny seeing peoples concern when another counties player is called out.

If a Dub did what Murphy did..... can you imagine the outrage!! :D

Murphy is undoubtedly a superb footballer, one of Irelands greatest even if it is a shame he spent so much of his career toiling out the field instead of playing as a pure full forward.

But he is no saint and has many times gotten away with things that others wouldn't, I've seen a good few things from him over the years that should have been red or black cards but only got a talking to or a just a yellow.

Some lads get treated more harshly than others and seem to always pick up red cards, while others be at the same antics and get away with it. Murphy is definitely the latter.

Yesterday Tyrone had a lad sent off for a high shoulder challenge whereas Murphy got just a card for his elbow challenge. Should have been a straight red all day long. If Connolly had done it I imagine it would have been a red card. These things happen in games but I wouldn't quite see Murphy as some innocent soul.

Fair enough

Slattsy wrote: »
    I cant think of a single other player than Murphy that has been involved in more head high tackles currently playing. Disgusting was appropriate, as he's been involved in numerous disgusting tackles in his career.

You've got a couple of thinly veiled digs in there, says more about you than you think... the mask slipped a bit there didnt it. But we know your type sunshine, ten a penny around here :D

The thing about being a Dub on cesspits like this forum, is that we get to see so many of our players being called x,y,z, and no one ever bats an eyelid. Lads are obsessed with us, we get it, we're under the spotlight.
    But its quite funny seeing peoples concern when another counties player is called out.

Oh they aren't thinly veiled, I'm saying what I'm saying ;)

If you think disgusting is an appropriate description of him then okay, I think that's the discussion dead.

• Advertisement

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Oh they aren't thinly veiled, I'm saying what I'm saying ;)

If you think disgusting is an appropriate description of him then okay, I think that's the discussion dead.

To clarify, I didn't call him disgusting. However, a lot of his tackles would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

To clarify, I didn't call him disgusting. However, a lot of his tackles would be.

Corny called him a disgusting individual.

Quote from your good self....

"Disgusting was appropriate, as he's been involved in numerous disgusting tackles in his career."

Disgusting was appropriate but you didn't call him disgusting......

Mask slips as you like to say a lot.

Corny called him a disgusting individual.

Quote from your good self....

"Disgusting was appropriate, as he's been involved in numerous disgusting tackles in his career."

Disgusting was appropriate but you didn't call him disgusting......

Mask slips as you like to say a lot.

My post was clear, but work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I cant think of a single other player than Murphy that has been involved in more head high tackles currently playing. Disgusting was appropriate, as he's been involved in numerous disgusting tackles in his career.

Jesus, Slattsy. You've been on here for years, and have lots and lots of quality comments. I can't believe you're condoning the description of disgusting being attributed to Michael Murphy. He's tough - he needs to be. He's the first person on the opposition plan sheet to be targeted. He's absolutely quality.

Philly Mc, D Connolly etc are tough - play beyond the rules line etc. But from I can see, they are quality men. Despite what people think of Diarmuid Connolly, I think he's a good role model - considering the shlt that he has had to put up with for a number of years. I would never label these as disgusting. I would never call an amateur who gives sacrifices year in year out as being any way disgusting.

Jesus, Slattsy. You've been on here for years, and have lots and lots of quality comments. I can't believe you're condoning the description of disgusting being attributed to Michael Murphy. He's tough - he needs to be. He's the first person on the opposition plan sheet to be targeted. He's absolutely quality.

Philly Mc, D Connolly etc are tough - play beyond the rules line etc. But from I can see, they are quality men. Despite what people think of Diarmuid Connolly, I think he's a good role model - considering the shlt that he has had to put up with for a number of years. I would never label these as disgusting. I would never call an amateur who gives sacrifices year in year out as being any way disgusting.

Ok.

I did not intend to, nor infer MM was a disgusting individual.

I thought my post was clear, i said I thought that disgusting was appropriate, i was talking about tackles i.e an appropriate word, as he's been involved in a lot of what I'd call disgusting tackles in his. Thats not open to interpretation, but maybe fair enough that my post probably was. The Fenton incident springs to mind as an obvious one, thats just off the top of my head.

Hope thats cleared that up, and thanks for saying i've a lot of quality comments, i might bookmark this page.

And re Philly, Connolly, they've been called loads of names, probably worse. And lets be honest no one bats an eyelid, and that was as much of my point as anything. I think most Dubs call a spade a spade in relation to most.
    It seems to be one rule for Dublin... Calling Murphy out seems to be a no no as he's a good player and a nice guy off the pitch etc.

Speaks volumes about where your head is at referring to someone you don't know as a 'disgusting individual'.

You don't know the first thing about him.

I don't need to. He makes obvious attempts to seriously injure lads playing a game. I can, with some justification, judge him on that.

Ok.

I did not intend to, nor infer MM was a disgusting individual.

I thought my post was clear, i said I thought that disgusting was appropriate, i was talking about tackles i.e an appropriate word, as he's been involved in a lot of what I'd call disgusting tackles in his. Thats not open to interpretation, but maybe fair enough that my post probably was. The Fenton incident springs to mind as an obvious one, thats just off the top of my head.

Hope thats cleared that up, and thanks for saying i've a lot of quality comments, i might bookmark this page.

I wouldn’t waste your time. They’ve twisted it into hearing what they want to hear and you won’t change their minds. It’s Boards by numbers for trying to win an argument.

I don't need to. He makes obvious attempts to seriously injure lads playing a game. I can, with some justification, judge him on that.

Have you played the game at any sort of an adult level? Be surprised to see this type of drivel from someone who has to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have you played the game at any sort of an adult level? Be surprised to see this type of drivel from someone who has to be honest.

Yeah, elbowing lads in the face is common enough in club and county level, sure its not even a foul. See it all the time.

Embarrasing post tbh, bit too desperate to defend the local hero.

• Advertisement

And if i haven't would that invalidate what i'm saying?

Are you suggesting Murphys actions are common place and therefore excusable?

And if i haven't would that invalidate what i'm saying?

Are you suggesting Murphys actions are common place and therefore excusable?

It would explain an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If Byrne had stayed down rolling around holding his head which Donegal players were doing when there was no head contact then Murphy might have gotten the line but Davy was straight up on his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I haven't played to a particularly high level (I was a better soccer player), and I don't think anybody I played with would describe me as "dirty". But I have surely done worse than Murphy did on Saturday night. You often go in with the intent of "going in hard" and "letting him know you're there". And the next thing you have clobbered somebody. Hopefully in the shoulder or arse or somewhere that doesn't make you "disgusting". Quite often when getting tackled you get a punch in the head and you think that you're not going to let that <expletive> away next time when you're tackling him. My reading of it was that Murphy went in hard and before he realised it was Byrne's head rather than shoulder it was too late.

This is not to say that Murphy shouldn't have been sent off. He absolutely should have. The authorities are correct to clamp down on this. Eventually players will be reprogrammed to stop doing it. But I don't judge him for the challenge other than thinking he is a bit reckless and learning slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If Byrne had stayed down rolling around holding his head which Donegal players were doing when there was no head contact then Murphy might have gotten the line but Davy was straight up on his feet.

Correct, all credit to Byrne. Dublin won, Byrne wasn't injured and the crowd got to see a great spectacle (including some serious skill from Murphy.

The only shame to it is that it would be better if Murphy saw red more as a deterrent to future "reducers".

D9Male wrote: »
    I haven't played to a particularly high level (I was a better soccer player), and I don't think anybody I played with would describe me as "dirty". But I have surely done worse than Murphy did on Saturday night. You often go in with the intent of "going in hard" and "letting him know you're there". And the next thing you have clobbered somebody. Hopefully in the shoulder or arse or somewhere that doesn't make you "disgusting". Quite often when getting tackled you get a punch in the head and you think that you're not going to let that <expletive> away next time when you're tackling him. My reading of it was that Murphy went in hard and before he realised it was Byrne's head rather than shoulder it was too late.

This is not to say that Murphy shouldn't have been sent off. He absolutely should have. The authorities are correct to clamp down on this. Eventually players will be reprogrammed to stop doing it. But I don't judge him for the challenge other than thinking he is a bit reckless and learning slowly.

I'd agree with a lot of this, and certainly when i was playing i'd always have been of the mindset of 'make that first hit count'. Sure everyone has been told to let your opponent know "you're there".

But this leads us nicely to the bolded part.

How many times has MM been involved in reckless, head high challenges? Its not like Saturday was the first time and he's being hounded for one error of judgement.
    It's happening so consistently, that you have to say he's going out deliberately trying to injure players, and as such he's correctly being called out on it.

My reading of it was that Murphy went in hard and before he realised it was Byrne's head rather than shoulder it was too late.

His elbow caught Byrne in the head and let there be no doubt...it was deliberate. Sure he does it in virtually every game against Dublin.

Genuinely mystified as to how he gets away with a clean reputation.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If Byrne had stayed down rolling around holding his headwhich Donegal players were doing when there was no head contact then Murphy might have gotten the line but Davy was straight up on his feet.

And a good egg he is too.

A fair post.

Murphy has gone in to absolutely bust Byrne with a shoulder, and right he was. He's coming in side on and it's there for him. These challenges are a great feature of the game.

These things happen, you go in to make legitimate contact and it's mistimed or (as is increasingly the case) the player has ducked his head and all of a sudden you've caught him and laid him out. It's one of those where it looks far worse than it is. Very similar to a high tackle.

Is it a red card? It could absolutely be construed as dangerous play depending on the distance between the players and how late the challenge is. Saturday night could have went either way but for me he was just in quick enough for it to be borderline for the referee to just play it safe with a yellow. A fraction later and it would in all likelihood it would have been a red.

Nobody is complaining about that, but if anybody thinks Michael Murphy was going in to deliberately elbow Davy Byrne in the face 5 minutes into a game within a few yards of the linesman they need to get back to reality. This is a fella who has been playing senior inter county football since 2007. He's not stupid and he's not a dirty player. He is seriously, seriously hard but he's a fair player, as his peers will tell you. He's been sent off once in championship football in 12 years and that was a case of mistaken identity which was overruled.

Just FYI for later in the summer - Neil McGee and Stephen McMenamin are our boys who'll be gunning for you with an elbow given half a chance.

And you're right too, we are going to see much less of these challenges in general now just because of how quick and elusive the modern players are and how they are being coached to deal with contact. It's getting riskier now and the key now is to shepard into a channel for someone else to 'tackle big' from the front instead of going for the direct hit yourself.

A 'disgusting individual' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah heyor....

He's 30 years now, isn't he? He has over 10 years intercounty experience. He's not some raw 20 year old, who is just learning the ropes at this level, like that Flynn amadán in Mayo who has picked up 657 red cards this month alone.

Michael Murphy is what he is and he isn't still "learning" anything. Nor is he "a bit" reckless or accidentally coming in a bit "too late" in his tackles. At this stage of his career, he knows exactly what he is doing. He has form for those head high elbow charges. If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...etc etc

Fair play for admitting you thought he shudda walked earlier, but he still got to play for 60 more minutes. If he was any other player, he wouldn't have imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You need to be careful with the old insults, you might not have an appropriate one for a lad who eye gouges an opponent or a lad who fractures someone's eye socket in an unprovoked attack.
    Stick to booing opposition freetakers from the hill, you are less likely to be called out on your behaviour by those around you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement