Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Conchir wrote: »
    Just been thinking of two moments in the game today that I really enjoyed. First, that pass by Connolly to set up the Kilkenny point. And second, the shoulder from Mick Fitzsimons to save a possible Kerry goal chance.

Unreal.

Fitzsimmons had a brilliant game today. A real unsung hero in that backline and always delivers on the big days.

My personal favorite from today was Howard claiming that 50:50 kickout on the ground with 3 Kerry lads on him like white on rice and he still kept possession.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Just been thinking of two moments in the game today that I really enjoyed. First, that pass by Connolly to set up the Kilkenny point. And second, the shoulder from Mick Fitzsimons to save a possible Kerry goal chance.

Unreal.

Shoulder was unreal. Brilliant bit of tackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Clifford deserved an Oscar for that 'dive', and a free out of it.
    Seemingly we (BAC) got one free in their half in the whole game. Shocking ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

JRant wrote: »
    It's also baffling why Kerry supporters were booing us. We were winning the game yet the fans of the team with 15 men behind the ball thought we were the problem :)

Gavin sussed the blanket defense a long time ago. Ironically when Kerry went man to man they gave us trouble. The problem for them was that they could only do it for short spells before the legs started to give and they fell deeper and deeper.

One other thing, I like that Clifford lad. He showed a bit of bite today that I hadn't seen before. He probably should have got the line today. He made 2 yellow card offenses and give Cooper(?) a box as well. That forearm lead of Murchan was nasty. I wonder will refs start to cop his constant barging at defenders. He does it a lot and then just falls over getting a free.

Kerry, tradition suggests a great GAA county but the nonsense from their fans there would probably make you question that. ‘The opposition were going well so let’s express some childishness, anti-sporting and immature behavior to detract from that’. Right ! On the pitch their players leading with forearms, multiple high tackles and another one that fûcks me off is falling on top of an opposition player leading with the knee which seemed to be a ‘tactical’ centerpiece for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bonniedog is creamin' himself tonight I'd say!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Special times we live in. Beautiful night soaking up the five in a row in this sublime city.

What a performance. The lads left it all out there, likes of Howard were out on their feet by FT. Mick Fitz man of the match for me, huge performance. Clucko, Con, Davy Byrne and Deano all had fine games, and not forgetting the Murch, where on earth did that come from?! Absolute wheels!

If it is the end for a couple of lads and maybe even coaching staff, then what a way to go out. At the very, very top. What a service them men have given Dublin GAA.

(Also, lets celebrate. Ignore the money trolls and the MacKenna’s and his minions on Twitter. It’s not worth it. Let them shout into the abyss and rehash the same twice yearly article. Don’t give them oxygen).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

As I said last night, I was hoping to post here tonight with a happy heart and I am. I only got to see the second half in full, but in a very noisy bar in Wexford. But what a start to that second half. A fantastic achievement by a special group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I'm too far happy to tell y'all how good that felt
    Sure you already know. I love them. Warriors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Credit to Jonny cooper too, back to his usual bitey self despite the red two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Credit to Jonny cooper too, back to his usual bitey self despite the red two weeks ago.

Thought he was great being link between defence and attack. And as ye said, he carried on as normal and never looked back at his last performance.

Delighted for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thought he was great being link between defence and attack. And as ye said, he carried on as normal and never looked back at his last performance.

Delighted for him.

Super player, super attitude, still only 29, talent to burn, a seriously intelligent player and away from the pitch an absolute gent and a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Unreal.

That Connolly pass was into Kilkenny's chest. Over the shoulder!

It was ****ing Outrageous football.

Mick Fitz was my MOTM. INCREDIBLE!

JRant wrote: »
    Fitzsimmons had a brilliant game today. A real unsung hero in that backline and always delivers on the big days.

My personal favorite from today was Howard claiming that 50:50 kickout on the ground with 3 Kerry lads on him like white on rice and he still kept possession.

He wasn't unsung from some of us :)

MOTM for me today.

Howard's ball retention is like nothing I've ever seen before!

The best part was when we won the 5-in-a-row!

What a day! What a team! What an achievement! What a night!

COYBIB!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Strumms wrote: »
    Kerry, tradition suggests a great GAA county but the nonsense from their fans there would probably make you question that. ‘The opposition were going well so let’s express some childishness, anti-sporting and immature behavior to detract from that’. Right ! On the pitch their players leading with forearms, multiple high tackles and another one that fûcks me off is falling on top of an opposition player leading with the knee which seemed to be a ‘tactical’ centerpiece for them.

It was hilarious because Lane actually blew Dermo up on leading with the arm in the last few minutes after ignoring it for the entire game up to then.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've a toddler bouncing on my head. It's sore! Gonna try watch the match back as it's a bit foggy truth be told. Will make some conclusions and revert later.

Cooper deserves a special mention by the way. His head could have been in a bad place after the first game but he played like a man possessed yesterday, he was outstanding.

Did Lane give us a free yesterday at all? Seemed to be one rule for us and one for Kerry. Rode us all match, atrocious performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Strumms wrote: »

For godsake enjoy your win and stop whinging.
    Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner - Dublin the better team so picking through incidents will get noone anywhere but if you think that both teams werent 'pushing' the rules then you probably weren't watching the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner - Dublin the better team so picking through incidents will get noone anywhere but if you think that both teams werent 'pushing' the rules then you probably weren't watching the game.

"picking through incidents"
    Well, we have had enough of that over the last two weeks. Funny when it suits people to use that narrative.
    I'm just going to say, some of the referee decisions questioned my commitment to going to matches yesterday. He was that bad. What was a peno two weeks ago was nothing yesterday. Not one free to Dublin in a distance which could be a score. Has a final ever been won like that....
    Btw I think Kerry probably should have got a penalty in the last play. There was so much going on in there...
    Decisions didn't decide the match, let's all be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

This is a discussion forum.

Talking about the game is the sole reason the place exists.

Are we supposed to ignore what happened on the pitch just because we won?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The bitterness in the Dominance thread fcuking great to see😂😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Absolutely loving it as well :D

Well done yesterday deserved winners. Kerry didn't lead once in the whole game ?. People say Dublin gets lots of favorable decisions by referees. After the two games and past years its clear that its Kerry that is getting the majority of refereeing decisions. The Kerry defensive approach(like the older Tyrone teams) of have everybody inside there own 45 line can make it detract from the excitement at times as the game gets stalled, but a good quality game all the same. Appears that Clifford is not allowed to be touched.

Will Philly, McManamon and MDM be retiring this year ?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Would you ever piss off.

This is a discussion forum.

Talking about the game is the sole reason the place exists.

Are we supposed to ignore what happened on the pitch just because we won?

Go peddle your nonsense & pettiness else where.

Pettiness?
    Great stuff- you won and you still whinge about some incidents but ignore others and you call me petty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Delighted for the dubs. What a team.
    My own personal highlights of the drive for 5
    2015: Jack mc s block against mayo in the semi, that game was a thriller

2016: Mannions goal to bury donegal

2017: Has to be con dismantling the blanket defense

2018: The kickout from Cluxton to Jack mc followed by a point

2019: the last ten V Kerry in the drawn game

A special team littered with special players
    Remember when people said there was unrest in the Dublin camp!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Trey13

Can’t get over the reaction in the other thread to our 5 in a row. This team is honestly the best team to ever play the game and we will regress in the next few years when lads eventually retire.

Let’s enjoy it while we can lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yesterday was amazing on so many levels. I'm not gonna sour it in anyway by looking into the other threads about Dublin or the game!

We all knew how good this team was. Probably the best football team to play the game! At least now no one no matter how bitter they are can take that away from us!

The facts and history are there for everyone to see weather they want to accept it or not.

As others have said this run won't last forever but our records will!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think you are dead right after the first game there were many dubs who influenced by the incorrect analysis of Whelan and Brolly. When I said I thought Gough had a good game, some people looked at me as if I was mad.
    It seems you are just automatically suppose to assume that the ref is out to get your own team! I always found that silly.
    The same thing happens on local radio down the country. First 50/50 call a ref gives against the commentators team - 'oh the ref is not having a good game today'

I got to admit if I was a Kerry person I would feel aggrieved with the Dublin goal yesterday. It was clear steps worse than Mulligan's goal for Tyrone v Dublin in 05 in the AI semi-final.
    Maybe it might be an idea to have an official in the stand just to count the steps of a player?
    What is the point of having a rule on steps that is continuously broken?
    Is it just a guideline at this stage?

Thankfully Dublin won by six points and at least there was not just the single goal between the sides.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well done on a great win. For any team to win five in a row at the highest level is a tremendous achievement.

The goal after half time was crucial as it always kept ye in front and allowed you to be patient in possession to pick off your scores. they were two great contests with quality performances on both sides. Clifford is special as is Jack in full flight.

I think you are dead right after the first game there were many dubs who influenced by the incorrect analysis of Whelan and Brolly. When I said I thought Gough had a good game, some people looked at me as if I was mad.
    It seems you are just automatically suppose to assume that the ref is out to get your own team! I always found that silly.
    The same thing happens on local radio down the country. First 50/50 call a ref gives against the commentators team - 'oh the ref is not having a good game today'

I got to admit if I was a Kerry person I would feel aggrieved with the Dublin goal yesterday. It was clear steps worse than Mulligan's goal for Tyrone v Dublin in 05 in the AI semi-final.
    Maybe it might be an idea to have an official in the stand just to count the steps of a player?
    What is the point of having a rule on steps that is continuously broken?
    Is it just a guideline at this stage?

Thankfully Dublin won by six points and at least there was not just the single goal between the sides.

Forget the goal, forget all external factors.

Dublin deserves to win, they are a class team with superb mental strength.

Enjoy them, (hopefully) they won’t be around forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Forget the goal, forget all external factors.

Dublin deserves to win, they are a class team with superb mental strength.

Enjoy them, (hopefully) they won’t be around forever

Yeah I just mentioned all the 2011 crop (on the Kerry v Dublin thread) that are nearing the end now from the Dublin panel.
    About 10 of them
    Cluxton, Fitzsimons, O'Sullivan, Brogan, McMahon. MacCauley, McManamon, O'Carroll, O'Gara, Connolly
    Jayus those lads are going be missed the panel will definitely be weaker
    I don't buy into this myth that Dublin have had a huge turnover of players, where people only focus on the starting 15.
    When you look at the panel as a whole it is the same core that are/were keeping the show on the road.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement