Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macros/Calories/confused!

Options
  • 06-06-2017 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi all,

With all the talk about "healthy" foods and "good fats" etc I am finding myself a bit confused about the direction my nutrition should take.

I train 4 times a week, have about 2 stone to lose and use my fitness pal to track and plan my meals.

Without getting a personalised macro breakdown does anyone have any good guidelines as to a general breakdown to try and hit? If I focus on calories, carbs and protein would that be effective? I tried IIFYM calculator and they recomended 1700 calories, 99g carbs and 140g protein. To me the calories and carbs seem quite high considering weigh loss is my main focus but maybe I am uninformed.

Any advice, tips etc would be hugely appreciated before I have another blow out due to total confusion about what to be eating!

Just to add, I do know if you break it down to simple terms, eat whole foods, cut back on sugar and alcohol and focus on good fats and lean meats etc but I find I work best with stricter goals that I can put a number to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

A 40 40 20 split worked great for me, 1700 doesn't sound too high but that depends on weight build age etc.
    It will also vary as weight/fitness change.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

sorry I should add, I am female, late twenties and roughly 14st ideally wanting to get to 12st realistically.

40 40 20 might be an idea thanks. How did you set your calories on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I wouldn't get too bogged down in the macro splits. 40/40/20 is fairly standard but if you're looking to lose weight, it's the calorie intake that matters.

Just to give an idea: 1 gram of carbohydrate is 4 calories, 1 gram of protein is 4 calories and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories.

But you're better off just keeping it simple and tracking calorie intake.

Advertisement