Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining Fitness While on Holiday

Options
  • 03-06-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi

I am flying to Barcelona tomorrow for 10 days and the thing is that I currently have a good fitness momentum going for myself in my Gym. I do not want to loose it.
    I know I am going to find it hard when I return but I am worried about loosing what I currently have.

I plan on doing a 5K run on a couple of days while there and also I'm going to try and seek access to a Gym while there.

I would be interested to know if anybody has any tips on this.

Thanks

Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Gerb68 wrote: »
    I plan on doing a 5K run on a couple of days while there and also I'm going to try and seek access to a Gym while there.

Hotels often have gyms. Use an app like yelp to find one nearby or ask at reception in the place where you're staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

You won't lose any gains in just ten days. Enjoy the time off and come back fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Do a bit of HIIT or even some push-ups, squats etc that require no equipment. Go on to darebee and print out some home workouts to give you ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Local parks often have bars for pull ups and dips, combine them with the run. Even if you've 10 days inactivity you'll not be setback too much unless you hit the food and drink pretty hard. Enjoy your holiday first and foremost, a break can be refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's 10 days. You'll probably hurt your progress more by stressing out about it.

If you find something handy, so be it, but don't let it become something that affects the enjoyment of your holidays. You'll probably cover enough ground walking and you can always not eat like food is about to be rendered extinct for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Relax and injoy the holiday, a couple of 5k over the 10 days and don't go mad on the grub...don't worry about it , as mentioned above 10 days won't put to much of a dent in your training. I find swimming great on holidays as it's not something I regularly do and you more than likely will walking a lot..
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

harr wrote: »
    Relax and injoy the holiday, a couple of 5k over the 10 days and don't go mad on the grub...don't worry about it , as mentioned above 10 days won't put to much of a dent in your training. I find swimming great on holidays as it's not something I regularly do and you more than likely will walking a lot..
    Enjoy

Yeah swimming pool up in Piscina Municipal de Montjuïc. 50m is public and has excellent view of the city. Went there a few times when we were there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bring a skipping rope

(oh, and use it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think its great to try to get some exercise in while you're away but I think the most important thing to do is to have a strategy to get straight back into it when you get home. Be it booking into a class or a session with a PT or whatever, just make sure you don't allow your routine to slip in the post holiday glow :) It might be something as simple as making sure you've clean gym gear prepped and ready to go when you get home so you give yourself no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I think its great to try to get some exercise in while you're away but I think the most important thing to do is to have a strategy to get straight back into it when you get home. Be it booking into a class or a session with a PT or whatever, just make sure you don't allow your routine to slip in the post holiday glow :) It might be something as simple as making sure you've clean gym gear prepped and ready to go when you get home so you give yourself no excuses.
    I agree with this book a class before you go its very easy to get lazy after a holiday or to say I will start back next week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Walk,.....Lots.Barcelona is a fabulous city.Go for long walks and take in the scenery.Do some sit ups and press ups (for extra pump in your tight shirt) before you go out at night.
    You prob work out all year round so take the 10 days off and indulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Walk,.....Lots.Barcelona is a fabulous city.Go for long walks and take in the scenery.Do some sit ups and press ups (for extra pump in your tight shirt) before you go out at night.
    You prob work out all year round so take the 10 days off and indulge.

Advertisement