Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldcar car rental Spain, crazy prices?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Avoid like the plague

We got a crappy beat up citreon that was supposed to be in the golf/focus range and I'm still trying to get 350 extra charge off them from January in lanzarote, supposedly a 'deposit'. Awful company to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Just noticed a charge on my card from Goldcar. We rented a car for a wedding in Tuscany, took out my own Excess before we left home. The one at the desk in Pisa refused to accept that I had taken out my own insurance and went through the whole sales pitch,even said that if I didn't take their insurance and there wass a claim, they issue the invoices for the damage so I could be waiting a very long time, it was quite off-putting ! The charge is only €5.36 and I have no idea what its for,the drop was off was early morning and I filled the tank to the point of overflowing out the neck about 20klms from the airport, and the gauge did drop slightly by the time we got to the airport but you actually still see the diesel in the filler neck! Theres no way you could have fitted more than one litre in there!

As someone else pointed out its next to impossible to find a contact email address for customer services. I went back to Holiday Autos who I went through for the rental so hopefully they can help.

I'll certainly be a little more cautious in the future ! I did a walk around the car when I collected it as it was daytime, but didn't bother on return as it was the middle of the night, but I do know there were no new marks on it. Also took a picture of the fuel gauge which had mysteriously dropped despite the fact of it being full to the neck ! Fiat Quobo by the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Booked with them once and read so many bad reviews that I cancelled the booking. There were just too many horror stories.

Doesn't apply to mainland Spain but if anyone is heading to Canaries can't recommend CICAR enough - excess free insurance included as standard and no hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sdanseo wrote: »
    Booked with them once and read so many bad reviews that I cancelled the booking. There were just too many horror stories.

Doesn't apply to mainland Spain but if anyone is heading to Canaries can't recommend CICAR enough - excess free insurance included as standard and no hassle at all.

Plus one, part of cabrera medina who operate all over Spain afaik

Edit think it's just all over canary islands

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Or autoreisen. No excess, free child seats, never had hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭delboy76

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

anyone know how much do the block on your creditcard if you do not take the insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭randombar

delboy76 wrote: »
    anyone know how much do the block on your creditcard if you do not take the insurance?

It was 2k for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

I think it depends on the amount of excess associated with the hire car
    Bigger cars have a bigger excess. I think most 1.4 car would have an excess of 1400E

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GaryCocs wrote: »

It was 2k for me anyway.
    Hertz only take 200 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GaryCocs wrote: »

It was 2k for me anyway.
    Hertz only take 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

hi folks when is the best time to book a car rental in Spain, flying in to Barcelona El Prat end of June, book now in advance or wait closer to time?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

jconn wrote: »
    hi folks when is the best time to book a car rental in Spain, flying in to Barcelona El Prat end of June, book now in advance or wait closer to time?
    thanks
    I would use the broker www.Doyouspain.com and pick a company with free cancellation. Book now and cancel and rebook if it gets cheaper. I would strongly recommend taking out a car hire excess policy here before you travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭10-10-20

RecordGo blacklisted my wife & I without any notice (or charge) last year and when I booked a car with them again this year, they refused to provide one at the desk. They were unable to provide any reason what-so-ever. The left me completely high and dry.

They initially suggested that I may have gone over the 2000km limit with the vehicle - not so easy to do when you're only 50km down the road from the airport and you have two young kids.
    They then suggested that I may have not paid the fees - again not possible here as I provided a security deposit which was refunded.

So steer clear of RecordGo.

I got a car from GoldCar, they rode me sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I use easycar.com for spain and buy excess insurance at carhireexcess.com

Easycar is good for cancelling up to 48hours out and I often cancel and re-book when prices drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

I used Goldcar in Portugal last year and got totally ripped off, don't use them

Advertisement