Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been invoiced for making inquiry call to lawyer

Options
  • 02-06-2017 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, I had called a very well established law firm, to enquire whether I had a case. When I called, I was transferred to speak with a solicitor, whom I spoke with for a good few minutes, describing my situation and whether I had a case or not. He then asked me to send email describing situation. I got a call, had a brief conversation about my email that was read by solicitor, and was asked to come in person to visit. I changed my mind, I was going through a lot of stress and hence I did not wish to continue and did not visit in person.

One year later, out of nowhere, I got email with invoice, charging me for speaking over phone two times. Is this acceptable to charge someone for making an enquiry? I am now very stressed, because I dont think I was aware of potential costs for making a phone call, I was not even informed that I will be charged. I had no idea I will be charged.

Please advice me. I am the one who pay all my bills, and this event is stressing me, because I have not paid yet, and I dont think I should be paying for something like this, as much as I regret making that call.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Regardless of that to leave it a year and only then send it is not acceptable and I'd challenge them on that basis alone and refuse to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You did use your Solicitor's time. You wanted them to tell you if you had a case or not. In other words you asked for their legal advice. So yes you owe the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Flowergirl80

Miaireland wrote: »
    You did use your Solicitor's time. You wanted them to tell you if you had a case or not. In other words you asked for their legal advice. So yes you owe the money
    It was more or less an inquiry call, regarding legal advice, how to go about it etc, before actually using their services. Also, I was not made aware at any point of phone call, that I will be charged a year later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Miaireland wrote: »
    I just spent time reading your post.

That'll be €50 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It was more or less an inquiry call, regarding legal advice, how to go about it etc, before actually using their services. Also, I was not made aware at any point of phone call, that I will be charged a year later

Go to your GP and inquire about elective surgery. Although you were only making inquiries and never went ahead with the nose job you still have to pay the GP for his time and professional advice.
    Solicitors, architects, accountants etc charge for the time working on your case. Some have a timer beside their phone, I knew an architect with one 40 years ago. You are charged for times on the phone.
    Personally I think it would be good practice to tell you that you are being charged.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    If it was via email, delete it and move on.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a letter through the door.
    I replied to the email, told them I was alarmed to see this invoice, that I did not wish to use their services, and asked for clarification why I was charged and possibly cancel it. They replied the invoice still stands. Then I wrote again which is not replied yet, that again, I was not told about charges.

Now, I feel whether it was a mistake on my part to reply to their email?
    It is all hassle, and I am baffled why any reputed law firm would do this

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Go to your GP and inquire about elective surgery. Although you were only making inquiries and never went ahead with the nose job you still have to pay the GP for his time and professional advice.
    Solicitors, architects, accountants etc charge for the time working on your case. Some have a timer beside their phone, I knew an architect with one 40 years ago. You are charged for times on the phone.
    Personally I think it would be good practice to tell you that you are being charged.
    The GP charges are mentioned, is quite clear how much it is, and you expect them, so I dont understand how is this comparative to making a call a law firm. Also whenever I visit I am informed about the potential costs of surgery or procedure or stay etc. I had called two more firms around that time, and it was over, nobody charged me for enquiry

So this doesn't sit well with me

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know their time isn't free, but was there a cost advised to you at any stage? How are you supposed to know if no payment structure is agreed?

MarkR wrote: »
    I know their time isn't free, but was there a cost advised to you at any stage? How are you supposed to know if no payment structure is agreed?

There was nothing agreed in person or in writing or verbal, or at any point of phone call conversation. That's why I am feeling lost why I was invoiced in this manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I replied to the email

Do they have your home address/do you use them for other services?

BTW, approx. how much are we talking about?

You could send them a counter invoice for the time you've taken to understand their correspondence.

A year later? Someone needs to bulk up their billings. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Sleeper12 wrote: »

You are comparing a visit to a doctor to a call inquiry to a solicitor. Hardly like for like is it? Can a GP charge someone for calling them and asking if there's an appointment available?

Do they have your home address/do you use them for other services?

BTW, approx. how much are we talking about?
    :[/QUOTE

a little over quarter thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Tell them to go take a run and jump. Dont waste another second on it. No chance of them getting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You made an enquiry with a legal professional-how do you not consider this legal advice?

I'm surprised that anyone would think that correspondence from any professional comes for free, unless you specifically have an offer of free initial consultation/service in advance.

Hi, I had called a very well established law firm, to enquire whether I had a case. When I called, I was transferred to speak with a solicitor, whom I spoke with for a good few minutes, describing my situation and whether I had a case or not. He then asked me to send email describing situation. I got a call, had a brief conversation about my email that was read by solicitor, and was asked to come in person to visit. I changed my mind, I was going through a lot of stress and hence I did not wish to continue and did not visit in person.

One year later, out of nowhere, I got email with invoice, charging me for speaking over phone two times. Is this acceptable to charge someone for making an enquiry? I am now very stressed, because I dont think I was aware of potential costs for making a phone call, I was not even informed that I will be charged. I had no idea I will be charged.

Please advice me. I am the one who pay all my bills, and this event is stressing me, because I have not paid yet, and I dont think I should be paying for something like this, as much as I regret making that call.

You called to make an inquiry.
    They put you through to speak with a Solicitor.
    You emailed the details, they reviewed the info etc.
    You then had a follow up call to discuss the email.
    You then decided not to proceed.

Like it or not you sought their professional advice. YOU asked them. They provided this in the form of two calls plus time spent reviewing your email and providing an initial consultation by phone.

You should pay the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I spoke to solicitor once and asked him to confirm something I believed to be the case. It took fifteen minutes and he charged us €250. It is unfair that you didn't get the invoice soon after but I would still pay it. Incidentally, it was the best €250 we ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So this doesn't sit well with me

I agree with you. I was just giving a comparison.

I would think whatever governing bodies (Bar Association or whatever) would consider this unethical & might have something to say about it.
    It might also be a clerical error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

Pay up,

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP I think you need to get legal advice on this one, do you know any lawyers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Addle wrote: »
    I'm surprised that anyone would think that correspondence from any professional comes for free, unless you specifically have an offer of free initial consultation/service in advance.

I have spoken to accountants, solicitors, architects, tax advisors etc to discuss an issue and what they can offer me. I am not going to hand over €250 to a professional to be told, 'sorry I can't help you there'. I know a professionals time is not free. But I am not going to pay for a hour for them to say they can't help me

Look at this way, this solictor could have possibly gotten hundreds of thousands in billings from sending a few minutes discussing OPs situation. It was a sales pitch. Imagine calling a company and asking for a sales pitch, but you thought their product or service was ****. Then being handed a bill for the pitch. Would you want a sales pitch or buy from that company if they charged you for a sales pitch?

I have zero issue paying thousands for professional services, when I know a person is competent. I am not going to pay €250 a pop to discover the professional is useless. Eg I called a tax advisor and had a 5 min conversation where I discovered that visiting them would be futile. They could not help me and there was no point visiting them. Would I use them in the future paying for their services after them being honest about not being able to help me at the moment for free? Absolutely.

Professional services are services, they are not tangible. People need to be sure the professional they are using are competent. People are not going to hand out €250 to discover they arent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Per section 68 of the solicitors act 1994 you should be informed of charges when the solicitor takes instruction to provide legal services or as soon as practical thereafter. Presumably one year latter doesn't meet that standard. Maybe you could ring the law society and see what they think.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Complaints-against-solicitors/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

If I were you, I wouldn't pay, and consider a complaint to the Law Society. People here who are saying "but you got legal advice" are ignoring the most important point, you didn't agree to any charges in advance and the law firm in question broke the Law Society guidelines by not giving you information in writing about the charges you would incur.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Public/Legal-guides/Legal-Charges/
    By law, your solicitor must give you information about your legal charges – the money you must pay them for their services. The law that deals with this matter is Section 68, Solicitors (Amendment) Act 1994.

When you instruct a solicitor to carry out work for you, your solicitor is obliged by law to give you information in writing about the legal charges you will incur.

The information you will be given will be as follows:

the solicitor’s actual charges, or, where this is not possible or practicable,
    an estimate of the solicitor’s charges, or, where this is not possible or practicable,
    the basis on which the solicitor’s charges are to be made.
    For more information about how charges for legal services are incurred, see the Law Society's Legal Charges guide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've called a few places to check what time they closed, should I budget some money for all the invoices I am about to receive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

A solicitor must give you the details of any charges in writing. Did you get a list of the solicitors charges?

If not, I would suggest you contact the Law Society and forward or copy your solicitor on the correspondence. Law Society number is 01 672 4800

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Do you specifically agree to charges when you get into a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Do you specifically agree to charges when you get into a taxi?

Charges and fees are posted in the taxi in line of site, can the same be said for the law office?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Yeaah ..almost every solicitor's office in the country has a special office to which freebe calls are diverted.
    This is specially set aside to answer calls, free of charge, from people who think everything in life is, or should be, free.
    It is paid for out of the profits garnered from the vast bulk of their clients who pay for the services provided.
    Next time you ring up please quote your "Individual Entitlement Expectation nNumber" and this will avoid all your "stress".

Yeaah ..almost every solicitor's office in the country has a special office to which freebe calls are diverted.
    This is specially set aside to answer calls, free of charge, from people who think everything in life is, or should be, free.
    It is paid for out of the profits garnered from the vast bulk of their clients who pay for the services provided.
    Next time you ring up please quote your "Individual Entitlement Expectation nNumber" and this will avoid all your "stress".

I was not advised about the costs. Mind you, I was not looking for any freebie, but it was more inquiry call, I discussed, and not any point in time of conversation or before my call been transferred, I was told or informed about the legal charges, hourly rate or anything at all regarding fees. Because it was one year ago, I faintly remember if I asked, and I am pretty sure I would not have gone head unless I was told this should not be charged, if that happened at all. I was not aware of the costs, and certainly not agreed anything in writing. This was inquiry call to the solicitor firm. I mean, really. They put me through speaking with someone, whom I did briefy converse. I am baffled why I was not informed, and received invoice a year later. How is this acceptable ? Please help me understand. Honestly, I feel this is so much hassle and want to just pay to let this stress over, but at the same time, it just does not feel right. Therefore I am here asking. Thanks everyone for replying here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Back in the real world, people will still contact businesses in advance to see if they can provide a service or not before committing to agreed terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

What the solicitor did was probably a little unfair. It should have been made clear to you what the charges were and if you were happy to go ahead with the project, but at the same time, as others have said, the solicitor took time to take two phone calls, reviewed your email and presumably did some research into how they would progress if they wanted to you to come in for a meeting. Solicitors charge per hour and that would be at least an hours work.

Again its not fair, but the solicitor isn't doing anything wrong here I don't think. If it were me, I would try one more time sending them a letter explaining that the charges were not expressed to you in advance and they MAY reduce the charge for you. You say its a top firm and if that's true, €250 for an hours work is actually pretty good. You could easily be paying double that for other top law firms.

Advertisement