Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining the gym for the first time ever (Galway based). Any tips?!

Options
  • 01-06-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    So I thought I would take the plunge as it's summer time and I've decided I want to join the gym. I've thought about fitness goals and I want to become toned and also build strength. I'm not fat at the minute but I'm also not at a weight I feel comfortable with either and would like to slim down. I live in rural part of the countryside so I'd normally just go for a jog every day but I'm not a great jogger so I don't really enjoy it all that much as I'm constantly out of breath.
    I'm based in Galway and I'm just looking for any advice on ideas on the best gym to join. I've been in gyms before and I've gone on the cross trainer, which I really liked. I also looked at the weights and I've always really wanted to try them but I was too scared as they looked intimidating I was too shy to ask for help and I didn't want to try any of them by myself as I was afraid I'd injure myself! But I've also read so much about the benefits.
    Would anyone have any advice in regards to this. When I do join the gym should i just approach one of the trainers in, explain how it's my first time joining a gym and ask them about the weights? Would love some advice in general as I don't want nerves to hold me back!
    This will also be my first series approach to exercise..I hated PE in school but I feel like now is the right time for me to join the gym and become dedicated in becoming toned and gaining some strength..so if anyone could tell me about gyms in Galway that they've been to/heard are good, I'd really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hire a good personal trainer to spend a couple of hours with you to show you a lifting programme, and then go off with what you've learned on your own. Maybe have a follow up session in a few months so they can check you haven't developed any bad habits and can show you some more stuff.

I wouldn't bother with the gym staff, there is no guarantee they know much or care.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

Focus on starting strength (SS) and make SURE you get your form correct first. You don't want to be getting it wrong for years like me!

It'll affect the amount of muscle you get over time and you could end up injuring yourself quite easily.

Advertisement