Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone used the new dating social event trend " A Table For Six" ?

Options
  • 01-06-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

https://www.atableforsix.ie/

I recently won a ticket for this new dating social event.

3 guys & 3 girls meet together for dinner & drinks.
    The Organiser rings the next day to see how each person got on and will try organise a follow up date. I choose Cork but this is happening nationwide.

If you have experienced this what did you think.of the set up and any stories with it.

If you haven't what do you think of the set up and would you try it.

Worth a try anyway as online dating is a pretty damp squid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Nobody wants to date a damp squid. This smells a bit fishy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have not used it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sounds absolutely horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

But squids are normally damp.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

https://www.atableforsix.ie/

I recently won a ticket for this new dating social event.

3 guys & 3 girls meet together for dinner & drinks.
    The Organiser rings the next day to see how each person got on and will try organise a follow up date. I choose Cork but this is happening nationwide.

If you have experienced this what did you think.of the set up and any stories with it.

If you haven't what do you think of the set up and would you try it.

Worth a try anyway as online dating is a pretty damp squid.

As opposed to those dry squids? ;) This sounds a bit awkward a set up to me - can just picture one person being the object of desire for all 3 of the opposite sex or some such & it just being a horrible competition to be the loudest/funniest/cleverest. A damp squiB? Very possibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

cml387 wrote: »
    But squids are normally damp.:confused:

Not when they're deep fried, they're not :pac:

Can you imagine the confusion?

Him: "Can I marry you?"
    Her: "OMG, yes! We've only just met but yes, I will be your wife!"
    Him: "No, I said my name is Calamari. You?"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have heard nothing but bad reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

maudgonner wrote: »
    Not when they're deep fried, they're not :pac:

Can you imagine the confusion?

Him: "Can I marry you?"
    Her: "OMG, yes! We've only just met but yes, I will be your wife!"
    Him: "No, I said my name is Calamari. You?"

:eek:

Your plaice or mine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'd imagine it would be very awkward, what if the fella you like doesn't like you or vice versa? Oh I'd just cringe the whole way I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pilly wrote: »
    I'd imagine it would be very awkward, what if the fella you like doesn't like you or vice versa? Oh I'd just cringe the whole way I think.

I think the whole point of it is that you don't have to make a move that night which takes the cringe factor away. It's like a refined version of speed dating. The organiser contacts all 6 the next day and if man A and lady A both say that they would like to meet again then I'd imagine the organiser either organises a single date or gives them each other's phone numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think the whole point of it is that you don't have to make a move that night which takes the cringe factor away. It's like a refined version of speed dating. The organiser contacts all 6 the next day and if man A and lady A both say that they would like to meet again then I'd imagine the organiser either organises a single date or gives them each other's phone numbers.

I suppose that's a bit better.

Still would feel like a bit of a competition to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can see why some would like the idea - in many ways it's easier to be part of a group that doesn't know one another than to do a one-on-one.

But I can equally see why it would probably only work for a minority. There's a good chance that any conversation would be dominated by one or two people, with the rest not getting a word in edgeways. As a result, nobody gets to really make a decent impression.

Even in the event that you decided to just chat quietly to the person beside you, if you had a super-competitive person at the table, they could continually try to interrupt you and focus the attention on them.

Could you imagine being placed at a table where the other 2 members on your "side" are mates? You'd never get a chance to have a good chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The opportunity to make awkward small talk with five strangers and get rejected by three women in one evening for a mere €50? Where do I sign?
    I hope the grub is included, at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

8 posts registered 3 days ago and now plugging a new dating trend noone has heard of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Posh ****... What happened to just talking to someone instead of these stupid dating fads.

They're the equivalent of steak served on a slate or wooden board instead of ON A BLOODY PLATE!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sounds pretty good to me, as a super confident ride. Just use the two betas to enhance my awesomeness and then get the pick of the litter afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

caff wrote: »
    8 posts registered 3 days ago and now plugging a new dating trend noone has heard of?

Run OP! Caff has you rumbled!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Userinfo3333

Exactly, it can end up many ways, I'm new to Cork so it's a great way to get out there socially aswell.
    Can't be any more awkward then a date when your just waiting for it to end, always worth trying something new.

Damp squid has enjoyed this thread 😜

Soz not you

caff wrote: »

Stalker Alert, thanks for updating my use. Good knows that someone has something to post about eh!!!!

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    The opportunity to make awkward small talk with five strangers and get rejected by three women in one evening for a mere €50? Where do I sign?
    I hope the grub is included, at least..

I won the ticket and its dinner included. 😉

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why should you not pay with a tenner for the 4 euro seafood special?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Where do I put my feet?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

seachto7 wrote: »
    Posh ****... What happened to just talking to someone instead of these stupid dating fads.

They're the equivalent of steak served on a slate or wooden board instead of ON A BLOODY PLATE!!

I agree. It's beyond bizzare how many people depend on the internet and dating fads to meet someone, considering we used to meet partners when going about a normal life. In pre internet days a dating agency with its fancy computer that took input and bounced out a match was literally for socially awkward dosebags. These days every singleton, seperated or divorced goon relies on an app/website or some cringeworthy web induced meet up. WTF has happened to being yourself, dressing up, heading out and seeing what happens? It appears that the entire dating scene has transgressed from normality, dating agencies and gingerbread clubs (remember them?) to a fooked up online scene that attracts everyone.

It sounds like a cross between Blind Date and Come Dine With Me. The worst of both.

Whatever happened to 'Come dine with me' anyways? That show was good craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Candie wrote: »
    It sounds like a cross between Blind Date and Come Dine With Me. The worst of both.

With some potential Stranger does table of six!

buried wrote: »
    Whatever happened to 'Come dine with me' anyways? That show was good craic

God, I loved that show. It was the perfect combination of brainless and daft, with a bit of of bitchiness and backstabbing thrown in for colour. Perfect student viewing. :)

They had some right UK 'Reeves and Mortimer/League of Gentlemen' type characters up in that. Real life ones. Classic stuff

• Advertisement

That show and the one where the two ladies cleaned the houses of some truly disturbed people were just addictive.

You just couldn't help but feel good about yourself after an afternoon watching them. :)

Advertisement