Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flavoured milk drinks

Options
  • 31-05-2017 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

Any one with any advice on these flavoured milk drinks, got one the other day after work out and tasted very nice but noticed that it has a lot of sugars in them, any advice on drinking these compared to normal milk, they are higher in protein but as I said a lot more sugars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

You answered your own question in fairness

Plus the artificial flavours and colouring prob doing you no help either

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

From reading the labels on the "mooju" flavoured milk it seems like they're essentially the same as a protein shake, just with a lot more fat. In saying that, it doesn't bother me - the chocolate one is amazing.

I'm guessing you checked myfitbesspal. It's broken on mooju milk for some reason

In reality in 100ml there's 10.3g sugar for 4.7g protein....

If that's anywhere near your protein shake you'd want to bin that powder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Are you taking about the high protein milk that now comes in flavors?

Seems like a more processed product to appeal to those with a sweet tooth - personally I won't be touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Mmmmm... Hazlenut MooJu... :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

Have you tried a banana milkshake in the blender, with an ice cube. And throw a scoop of protein powder too. Delicious.

Throw in some drinking chocolate or chocolate porridge if you want to push the boat out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Thanks for the replys, guess I will avoid this, but it is nice, but the level of sugars are way too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

All milk has a decent amount of sugar.

Your 750ml Mooju is the sugar equivalent to 1650ml of low fat milk

750ml Mooju:
    570 cals
    79g sugar
    35g pro
    13g fat

1650ml Low fat Milk:
    775 cals
    79g sugar
    58g pro
    25g fat

Taylor365 wrote: »
    All milk has a decent amount of sugar.

Your 750ml Mooju is the sugar equivalent to 1650ml of low fat milk

750ml Mooju:
    570 cals
    79g sugar
    35g pro
    13g fat

1650ml Low fat Milk:
    775 cals
    79g sugar
    58g pro
    25g fat

Is sugar in milk considered as the "healthy" slower release like in fruit or is it just as bad as added sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The sugar in milk is lactose, which is the. broken down into glucose and galactose which is then used by the body. Milk generally contains 4.5 to 5% lactose, going out the gate of the farm anyway

• Advertisement

Lactose is broken down a little slower than white sugar yeah

Lactose is broken down a little slower than white sugar yeah

So if i'm trying to cut down on added sugar, am I including milk in the bad sugars?

If theres sugar in fruit and veg I am not considering it as being a "bad sugar" as at least there are health benefits to be found; but not sure about milk, although it is sometimes fortified with Vit D and Calcium etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lactose is broken down a lot slower than other sugars. Its GI is about the same as oats; it's a pretty good carb.

I would not count lactose as a bad sugar in the terms you describe. That's very different to the added sugar in any sweetened flavoured milk though.

Added sugar means literally pouring some sugar into the mix...

It'll be listed in the ingredients under one name or another ....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,263 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mooju is a pretty great post workout drink tbh.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mooju is a pretty great post workout drink tbh.

It's not.

Unless you're after a marathon, it's probably not "great" to be getting 50g of sucrose and fructose after a workout. Especially when you only get 20g protein in exchange

It's not.

Unless you're after a marathon, it's probably not "great" to be getting 50g of sucrose and fructose after a workout. Especially when you only get 20g protein in exchange

You don't have to drink half a litre of it!

It comes in 500ml bottles. Most people would drink the bottle

It also comes in smaller bottles.
    rd2sAbr.jpg

Still a poor protein/ sugar trade off regardless of amount

• Advertisement

I think 190 calories and 12g of protein after a workout is perfectly acceptable. The sugar will rebuild glycogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

This thread is the reason I bought a chocolate frijj on the way home. Suggestible much?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    This thread is the reason I bought a chocolate frijj on the way home. Suggestible much?

But it's gluten free, so it's grand don't worry

https://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=275290349

Zillah wrote: »
    I think 190 calories and 12g of protein after a workout is perfectly acceptable. The sugar will rebuild glycogen.

You could do a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I used to put a scoop of chocolate protein powder into 200mls of MooJu chocolate...yum yum though probably nor then best when I'm trying to lose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I used to put a scoop of chocolate protein powder into 200mls of MooJu chocolate...yum yum though probably nor then best when I'm trying to lose weight

IIFYM :cool:

Advertisement