Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever give advice in the gym?

Options
  • 31-05-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I don't mean the knobs who only want to demonstrate their manliness by trying to "help" women in the gym but if as a guy you saw another guy getting a squat or a deadlift all wrong would you say something?

I'm far from perfect but jeebus some lads look like they're gonna do themselves a serious injury. Don't know if it's worth the potential aggro or awkwardness though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

I hated when lads have me advice in the gym . I deadlift a lot but would look skrawny enough for the weight I'm lifting.

A few times a few bros came over and were like Jesus stop before you break your back ! And then they'd give me completely wrong advice so when I continue I'd have to basically just give up cause if I did it their way I'd injure myself and then if I didn't they'd be back over telling me how to do it.

One time a guy said it to the gym instructor and he came over and told me yeah that's pretty much perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nope, couldn't give a toss what anyone else is up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Only once, really. Someone asked me to spot their bench and I just noted that his starting position was off cos it looked like the bar was over his eyes. He was already benching something like 120kg so he had been training a while and could have just been a recent bad habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

The bar is supposed to be over your eyes before you lift it off the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I think he means when he'd had it out of the rack and in the ready-for-the-start-command starting position

• Advertisement

To Be honest, I'd be more than happy for someone to give me advice. I'm always tempted to ask as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I would 'assume' most people would welcome advice where the person providing it is caring about their welfare and doesn't want to see them getting injured and it seems like solid advice

However , Advice Could go down the wrong way with some people who 'think they know it all' or 'been doing the gym for a good length of time ( right or wrongly)

So most people don't bother giving it out id imagine (for different reasons - could backfire/ could not be bothered / none of their business \ social skills and so on)

On my note : I'm a newbie at 26 to the gym so would more than welcome it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I've seen guys doing the totally wrong technique, back bent when it shouldn't, knees not bent when they should be.
    If I saw someone who is obviously starting in the gym out I'd offer advice but the heads who are regulars I wouldn't bother with. They've probably already da their back in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Only time I've come close is when I've seen people going up on their toes while squatting. I never have but I've been tempted. I think you're betting 50/50 as to whether you're gonna get your head bitten off.

I'd certainly tell someone to fup if they starting giving me unsolicited advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Zillah wrote: »
    Only time I've come close is when I've seen people going up on their toes while squatting.

I did once, for that. They said thanks and ran away
    Now I leave them all alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

If you gave advice to people with poor and dangerous form there would be no time left for your own training

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Only once, really. Someone asked me to spot their bench and I just noted that his starting position was off cos it looked like the bar was over his eyes. He was already benching something like 120kg so he had been training a while and could have just been a recent bad habit.

If someone has already asked for your help then I think that's alright. It's when it's completely unsolicited that's an issue. People are generally suspicious of any approach in a gym.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Only to people I know. Which is quite often, I train in a work gym.

On one occasion I interrupted a stranger giving a newbie terrible advice on squatting. It was appreciated by the newbie.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Whenever I hear the crash of weights hitting the floor (or other weights in the case of a machine), I'm sorely tempted to go over to the person and advise them that the reason their form fell apart at the end was because they were lifting too heavy, and to avoid making that annoying crashing sound, which alerts everyone in the gym to how they were unable to properly execute their routine, they should try reducing the weight until they get used to proper form.

I mean, the chances that they think dropping the weight makes it seem like they are really manly and lifting weights that no mere mortal should even attempt is quite remote, so I would imagine that they would welcome my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whenever I hear the crash of weights hitting the floor (or other weights in the case of a machine), I'm sorely tempted to go over to the person and advise them that the reason their form fell apart at the end was because they were lifting too heavy, and to avoid making that annoying crashing sound, which alerts everyone in the gym to how they were unable to properly execute their routine, they should try reducing the weight until they get used to proper form.

I mean, the chances that they think dropping the weight makes it seem like they are really manly and lifting weights that no mere mortal should even attempt is quite remote, so I would imagine that they would welcome my advice.

Does this include people not doing a slow eccentric for heavy deadlifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Brian? wrote: »

On one occasion I interrupted a stranger giving a newbie terrible advice on squatting. It was appreciated by the newbie.

Couldn't do that myself but fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

The only time I'd ever give advice that wasn't asked for is if someone is going to seriously injure themselves with the deadlift.

Say what you will about pec and leg tears, but once your back is gone you're completely screwed.

Everyone at my gym has the same attitude though, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Brian? wrote: »

Oh yes, I've been tempted there, too. Screw up your own body if you want but it's very frustrating seeing someone send a newbie down the path of bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭SGSM

Say what you will about pec and leg tears, but once your back is gone you're completely screwed.

I've a disc injury that my physio has said will always play up if I stop being active. Thank God it's a lot better now due to proper warm ups but feck it's the worst place to injure imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Only when I'm asked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Generally no. Would have to be something very dangerous looking for me to try give advice.

Advertisement