Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight training advice

Options
  • 30-05-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭

I'm a member of a gym 6 years but have never gone near any of the weights, I only use the pool and the treadmill but would like to start doing some weight training maybe 2 days a week, more for health purposes than anything, I'm hearing more and more about the importance of strong muscles and bones as we get older.
    I'm a 44 year old male so no spring chicken, if anyone could point me in the direction of a programme I could follow that involves a few basic lifts that would work all/most of my body/muscles I'd really appreciate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

First off good to take the step I do advise getting someone to show you the basics to avoid injury and start slow and work your way up. Don't worry 44 is not old I know some guys 60-70 who still lift albeit not what they used to.

Starting strength or https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ are two very good and simple programs that will do what you are looking for. Feel free to look through the stickies in the forum too as there is a ton of great information in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Gawd sake, 44 is YOUNG - end of!

That aside, warm up/stretch well before weight training is the best advice, the lads on here are a goldmine of good info, best of luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

I'd favour GreySkull LP over stronglifts or SS.
    Although buying a copy of starting strength would be well worth it for the detailed technique alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Look for an into to weightlifting course local to you. Failing that I would get a personal trainer to go through the main lifts with you to get started.

I did stronglifts 5X5 then I used a program posted on here by James Hanely of Rev fit :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057311400

Then I would advise getting a PT again to re-check form and current programming if required.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Get someone who knows their business to teach your the following lifts:

Overhead press
    Bench press
    Barbell row
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Pull ups (or a variation you can do)

You're ready to do starting strength or any other linear progression program for beginners.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks lads, I've started reading starting strength, will dip my toe in when I've taken that on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

ooter wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I've started reading starting strength, will dip my toe in when I've taken that on board.
    id actually make sure you mobility is on point also before adding significant weight to any of the main lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

Here's a good mobility routine I use OP

https://phrakture.github.io/molding-mobility.html

Starting Strength is an excellent book for learning about the various lifts

I've been reading SS and listened to a few interviews with mark rippetoe (very interesting/informative bloke) and his attitude seems to be lift/get strong, lift more/get stronger (bigger), keep lifting more/keep getting stronger (bigger).
    If that's what you want that's fine but honestly, I just want to improve my strength, I'm not looking for huge results, could I do the lifts to a certain point and then maintain that level of strength or is that a ridiculous suggestion?
    I did hear MR say in one of the interviews that if you're going in lifting the same every time you're wasting your time, in terms of getting bigger/stronger that makes sense but surely doing some strength training is better than none at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've been reading SS and listened to a few interviews with mark rippetoe (very interesting/informative bloke) and his attitude seems to be lift/get strong, lift more/get stronger (bigger), keep lifting more/keep getting stronger (bigger).
    If that's what you want that's fine but honestly, I just want to improve my strength, I'm not looking for huge results, could I do the lifts to a certain point and then maintain that level of strength or is that a ridiculous suggestion?
    I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you pretty much saying that you don't want to get too big?
    I did hear MR say in one of the interviews that if you're going in lifting the same every time you're wasting your time, in terms of getting bigger/stronger that makes sense but surely doing some strength training is better than none at all?
    Not sure, but context is key. If MR was talking about lifting the same weights to try and get stronger, yeah, that's a fair point.

Basically, being strong is better than being weak. By the same logic, getting stronger is getting better. Why would you want to say you want to improve a bit, but not too much?

Also, think of gaining strength as an investment in your long term health. The more invest now, the more it will pay dividends in your old age. Whatever about cardiovascular health, but having a stronger back, increased bone density has no discernible downside. And yeah, you're not old yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I wouldn't worry about that kind of thing when you're starting out. Just start lifting, learn to hear what you're body is telling you and enjoy the practice.

If you find you're getting too strong too quickly then please present yourself for scientific study :D

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you pretty much saying that you don't want to get too big?

Not sure, but context is key. If MR was talking about lifting the same weights to try and get stronger, yeah, that's a fair point.

Basically, being strong is better than being weak. By the same logic, getting stronger is getting better. Why would you want to say you want to improve a bit, but not too much?

Also, think of gaining strength as an investment in your long term health. The more invest now, the more it will pay dividends in your old age. Whatever about cardiovascular health, but having a stronger back, increased bone density has no discernible downside. And yeah, you're not old yet.

Yeah I'd like to get stronger but not necessarily too big so a happy medium I could maintain would be ideal. I do a fair bit of running so would like to continue that as well as incorporate some strength training maybe twice a week, for health benefits like what you've described above, if it was to improve my running times that would be a bonus but I'm honestly not looking for that.
    I've no doubt one can compliment the other, I'm way way off the level of someone like Mo Farah but it doesn't seem to do him any harm and there's not a pick on him. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yeah I'd like to get stronger but not necessarily too big so a happy medium I could maintain would be ideal. I do a fair bit of running so would like to continue that as well as incorporate some strength training maybe twice a week, for health benefits like what you've described above, if it was to improve my running times that would be a bonus but I'm honestly not looking for that.
    I've no doubt one can compliment the other, I'm way way off the level of someone like Mo Farah but it doesn't seem to do him any harm and there's not a pick on him. :)

Bigness is a biproduct of eating an excess of calories and heavy lifting. If you don't want to add muscle, don't eat a calorie surplus.

You won't get too big without really trying though. It's not easy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement