Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

I doubt you'll see any changes to cars or taxis this side of a general election anyway.

Focus should be on bus corridors and enforcement on bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

How did a Bus Connects thread turn into a 'Dublin is not Autistic friendly' thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Pulling a sentence out of the hat? I'll give a summary: traffic - enforcement - attraction places (after all, they are the reason we generate traffic) - variety of attractions and overall the city being versatile, not focused to retail units too much.

The more variety in the city, the bigger the chance we have a better organised traffic as people wouldn't look to the city centre as just another shopping place which requires getting by car for some, as we have learned.

When we begin to realise that the city centre is also to spend time around with friends and families and be it focused to the pedestrians, then we'll see a reduction of traffic.

If we continue going to town with kids just for shopping, kids will grow and learn the same. We need to create a pleasant environment to spend time.

I have purposely repeated myself here a few times hoping it will now make sense to you, if you didn't bother to read the thread and came to complain about off topic.

Traffic is generated by people, but we need to find out the reasons why do they go to town to think through how can we change the purpose of the city centre to reduce traffic.

The less people think that they have to come by car, the more positive changes we will see. We just need to make people come for other reasons than shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

It not mad central planning versur wild consumerism and capitalism. There is plenty of scope for sensible regulation without the planners thinking they know what's best for us mere mortals

• Advertisement

City planners are the professional in their field with most often an international experience and a forward thinking attitude while the every day people are only focused to anything what's around yesterday, today and tomorrow and only known to them what's happening around their nose.

Are city planners necessarily better at forecasting than businesses or others? As for everyday people, don't dismiss them so easily. Ever hearsd of the wisdom of crowds?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's math.

The city inside the M50 -- not just the city centre -- is growing at such a pace that it cannot keep accomodating the current level of car traffic and continue to grow and be an attractive place.

This is true even with all the planned increase in rail. In fact, some of the rail project, including Luas and Dart expansion, will affect car capacity in the suburbs more.

This is very true of BusConnects in the city centre and a good deal beyond, even if some of BusConnects cares too much about traffic flow.

City planners see a bigger picture: they have a degree (so, a strong knowledge) and also free from bias. While business owners don't care about anything else but their profits. In fact, some of them are so dumb that they don't understand that a bus stop close to them is better than 3 car spaces.

City planners are free from bias?😎. I'm an economist and if I said that economists are free from bias I would be deservedly roasted.

You seem to have quite a bias against "dumb" business owners.

• Advertisement

I'm not a city planner though, so I of course have a bias and express my opinion. But city planners look at a bigger picture and consider many aspects, not just a one narrow aim to gain profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

And yet all city planners have commercial retail units in the heart of the city centre.

You do seem to have an obsession with reducing retail in the city centre. But it isnt going to happen. Thats where all the tourists are, for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

This whole "what should a city centre be" may be an intersting discussion but can it be put in it's own thread and leave this thread for direct discussion on BusConnects.

Tourist don't come here just for shopping. So no, shops aren't the most important. There currently are too many of them.

Mods can create a new thread and move the posts so we could continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Shopping is generally part of their visit and there will be more shops when Oconnell St finally gets redevloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Not necessarily bus connects related but interesting none the less, surveys on bus timings being done on O'connoll Street currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

How long has this bus tracking system been in place? Years. And they still haven't got it right?

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have observed a very interesting development online about the TFL bus service in London today.

They have a new express bus service called the Superloop. The route number for the service is the SL8 from Uxbridge to White City. The service is operated by Metroline. It serves stops like Hayes, Ealing Hospital and Ealing Broadway along the route. There is a big connection with Ealing Broadway on the route in that it connects with Crossrail, London Underground and Network Rail services.

All of the buses that are on this route have their own specific livery. It stops at designated Superloop branded bus stops. These Superloop bus stops can also connect with other TFL bus routes along the route.

If anyone here that tried route out in London. Would you not think if we had made other pieces of infrastructure like Dart+ Expansion/Dart+ Tunnel and Metrolink built and finished to complement the buses in Dublin City Centre. Do you not think that a smaller Superloop bus route should be setup for people who go around Dublin CC while created and funded by the NTA?

I know that we have the upcoming O route that is going to be run with Dublin Bus in the near future. But I am thinking more of a long term sustainable express route that can link up major rail stations and other major shopping and business facilities in Dublin.

EDIT: I've actually seen this on the TFL website. It is actually an incredible development in how you use the express bus routes in London. It is not just one route that creates the Superloop bus services. It is actually 10 express routes. Some of the routes are created from existing TFL bus routes.

Here is the map for the Superloop routes below. It actually looks like a clock on the wall. How amazing is that?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Superloop is a proposed network of 10 express bus routes. This would improve connections and journey times between key outer London town centres and transport hubs."

Sounds like the N8 -> W4 -> S8 of Busconnects does the same.

N8 Clongriffin DART to Dublin Airport to Blanhardstown -> W4 to Liffey Valley to City West to Tallaght (Red Luas) -> S8 Sandyford (Green Luas) to Dun Laogharie (DART)

Pretty much the same concept, just without the fancy TFL map, which like most TFL maps doesn't actually reflect reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Any update on how the new W4, W61 and W62 routes are doing?

• Are they busy in general?

• Are they busier at rush hour?

• Any cancellations?

• Are bus timings accurate, or are buses waiting at half the stops to keep in line with timetable (like N4 at launch).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

Latest news for BC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is an interesting move for the S2. It is sensible in one way to move that over from Donnybrook to C/Road. I do get that the benefit of having to start the route from the depot nearby in C/Road. Although as C/Road is a much smaller depot than Donnybrook; will the PVR be big enough to run a full schedule on the S2 from C/Road instead of running it from Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Qrt

Haven’t been using them much but everyone loves them. W62 has a few reliability issues I believe. They both seem fairly quiet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

W61 will be a heavily school time route, as it connects three secondary schools with places that may not have buses to them before.

It is currently waiting at stops a lot during low traffic periods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

What are GAI using on it double deckers or streetlites?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Would've thought single deckers would be more appropriate for that route. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

They were contracted for double-deckers from the very start, and I'd imagine the unified W6 could well justify them.

Although as C/Road is a much smaller depot than Donnybrook; will the PVR be big enough to run a full schedule on the S2 from C/Road instead of running it from Donnybrook?

I think you wanted to ask if CNR will be large enough to support the S2 and not the other way around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Good news: They finally have timetables of the W4 at some stops!

Bad news: The timings (to the right) are an utter farce!

Advertisement