Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Under 21 Hurling Championship 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Bonniedog wrote: »
    :)

You would imagine with the amount of teachers and full time students involved in teams that every team that appears on TG4 would have someone capable of conducting a basic interview as gaeilige?

As for the match, am struggling to recall any inter county game that had a margin of over 50 points.

Apparently Offaly beat Louth by 53 points way back in 1901! So this is second.

Antrim beat Roscommon by 60 points one year in senior I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Ompala wrote: »

That was in the Christy Ring if I recall correctly. We'd to play Antrim the following match and were quite worried! Think they beat us by 2 or 3 goals in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ompala wrote: »

You are wrong ..... it was 61 points :eek:

9 - 39 to 0 - 5!

Don't recall that one.

Not slagging anyone. Been at wrong end of few massive hidings myself. First adult championship game I played in we lost by 31 points. I got our only point, but in mitigation the corner back had gone behind the goal for a smoke :)

9 - 39 to 0 - 5!

Don't recall that one.

Not slagging anyone. Been at wrong end of few massive hidings myself. First adult championship game I played in we lost by 31 points. I got our only point, but in mitigation the corner back had gone behind the goal for a smoke :)

In my defense, I did say "I think" :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

antrim like to drop down as it gives them a chance to win something

meanwhile counties like westmeath, meath, carlow and kerry want to play up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

blackcard wrote: »
    As a KK man, I didn't enjoy that, reminded me of thrashings we got at underage club playing the big city clubs. Based on today, you can't have the Ulster champions automatically in the semi final. Maybe have them and Galway in Leinster

Listening to Tommy Walsh on Newstalk talking up Derry earlier really made me laugh. 10 mins of drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What a goal by Whelan.

citykat wrote: »
    What a goal by Whelan.

Great finish, though all 4 goals in this game have had some very poor defending involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

This ref lets a lot go. Maybe a bit too much. You'd need to be beheaded to get a free here.

This ref lets a lot go. Maybe a bit too much. You'd need to be beheaded to get a free here.

he cannot count steps anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ref has been very poor a lot of head high tackles being let go

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DuhJerk

Had to laugh at the slow motion shot of Limerick keeper kneeing a Galway lad. Sure, play on!

De Burca wouldn't agree.

Lack of match practice starting to tell on Galway. Lots suffering cramps.

Jesus Gillane is one greedy yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Future of Limerick hurling looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    antrim like to drop down as it gives them a chance to win something

meanwhile counties like westmeath, meath, carlow and kerry want to play up

Antrim are the opposite, they reckon they should never be relegated under any circumstances. Remember relegation being scrapped in 2009 since Antrim fought against it on a technicality? Or last year after the Christy Ring final how several Antrim people just said Meath can keep the cup, just promote Antrim too.

A few days before the Christy Ring final this year, the Hurling Development Committee (which in a total coincidence the Antrim hurling manager is a member of) announced that they planned on promoting both Carlow and Antrim to the qualifier group next year regardless of the CR final result.

A few days later Carlow hammered Antrim surprisingly easily in the CR final. Many people commented that Antrim played like a team who knew they'd already been promoted so weren't bothered.

Future of Limerick hurling looks good.

That was said few years back also after winning 3 under 21s

Never happened.

That galway team ran out of legs due to no competitive matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

dzer2 wrote: »

Never happened.

True but a very loose fb line didn't help galway.

Antrim are the opposite, they reckon they should never be relegated under any circumstances. Remember relegation being scrapped in 2009 since Antrim fought against it on a technicality? Or last year after the Christy Ring final how several Antrim people just said Meath can keep the cup, just promote Antrim too.

A few days before the Christy Ring final this year, the Hurling Development Committee (which in a total coincidence the Antrim hurling manager is a member of) announced that they planned on promoting both Carlow and Antrim to the qualifier group next year regardless of the CR final result.

A few days later Carlow hammered Antrim surprisingly easily in the CR final. Many people commented that Antrim played like a team who knew they'd already been promoted so weren't bothered.

Antrim have a curiously charmed existence. Now, I can understand GAA wanting to keep hurling viable in second largest population centre, but it has given them a hugely inflated sense of themselves, and arguably persuaded them that they don't need to help themselves. They are not even best county in Ulster across the three inter county grades and even club.

And counties like Westmeath and Carlow have paid the price for this. Westmeath in particular were shafted when Antrim came into Leinster. When the Westies had audacity to apply to be in Ulster championship they were told to fk off. Antrim were in both :)

Westies had twice earned championship status and league promotion only to have the goal posts moved. Feckin' joke so it is Ted..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

9 - 39 to 0 - 5!

Don't recall that one.

Our minor hurlers beat Sligo last weekend 14-25 to 6 points (61 point margin as well). Down minors beat Armagh today by 44 points and Donegal last weekend by 39 points.
    It's terrifying the difference between the haves, the have less and the have nots. I know people talk about Kilkenny's treatment of football (and I don't want to bring up that argument again), but pretty much half the country treats hurling the same or worse. The story doing the rounds today is a Longford SHC game had to be called off because no referee showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

dzer2 wrote: »

Never happened.

Limerick never get credit ever....when they win its because the other team either messed up, off form or were unlucky. When they lose its because they are rubbish. This is one hell of a team going for an all Ireland the hardest way you can - Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway and please God Kilkenny.

Its not Limerick's fault that the bookies made them huge favourites. They showed huge strength to come back more than once against a top team. It was never going to be the trouncing they gave Galway in minor 2014.

Also this team has nothing to do with 2000-2002 and the fact that they never made it doesn't mean these guys wont. In fact the learning from what went wrong with that generation can only help these guys.

I know many of the keyboard warriors like to have a simple story to follow and then make judgements based on totally irrelevant historical facts. It would be nice for Limerick to get a little respect for the few times we get it right.

slegs wrote: »
    Limerick never get credit ever....when they win its because the other team either messed up, off form or were unlucky. When they lose its because they are rubbish. This is one hell of a team going for an all Ireland the hardest way you can - Tipp, Clare, Cork, Galway and please God Kilkenny.

Its not Limerick's fault that the bookies made them huge favourites. They showed huge strength to come back more than once against a top team. It was never going to be the trouncing they gave Galway in minor 2014.

Also this team has nothing to do with 2000-2002 and the fact that they never made it doesn't mean these guys wont. In fact the learning from what went wrong with that generation can only help these guys.

I know many of the keyboard warriors like to have a simple story to follow and then make judgements based on totally irrelevant historical facts. It would be nice for Limerick to get a little respect for the few times we get it right.

Hey lad no warrior here.

The other semi was a farce. Its not helping any young lad that they get 1 competitive match a year form 18 to 21. Its not helping in KK either that under age is jammed between minor county matches state exams and senior fixtures.

Just pointed out that there is a lot of things that need to go right to bring through under age teams to senior. The gaa are not great at learning from the past.

Limerick won today without their most high profile player doing much - Lynch
    that augers well

the likes of Westmeath, Carlow and Meath could do with a few games before going on to play in the A section
    one game a year at U21 isn't great for developing players

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

red_diesel wrote: »
    I can't understand why they don't do opendraw at u21 level. Is it any wonder Galway have so many titles getting straight to a semi each year. Put Cork or Tipp in the same position year in year out and they'd have much more u21 titles than they currently do. Derry v kk at the moment is a joke.

Galway play the winner of the Munster and Leinster championships in the semi finals - never the Ulster champions!!! Thus are at a disadvantage coming in against a team that has played 2/3 times and that has already had a chance to try players in different positions, in addition to having players used to playing at championship pace.

Minor (u17 from next year on) and u21 championships require serious revision. Open draw is the only fairest way going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

donnem33 wrote: »
    Galway play the winner of the Munster and Leinster championships in the semi finals - never the Ulster champions!!! Thus are at a disadvantage coming in against a team that has played 2/3 times and that has already had a chance to try players in different positions, in addition to having players used to playing at championship pace.

Minor (u17 from next year on) and u21 championships require serious revision. Open draw is the only fairest way going forward.

By open draw do you mean Derry travelling to Nowlan Park to play Kilkenny??
    Also, do you think it would be fair if Galway played Ulster champions in the semi so they are better prepared to a final V a team that has beaten say, Tipp,Clare,Cork and Kilkenny along the way, and maybe catching this team cold in the final.

My Suggestion :
    Scrap the provincials.
    Form 4 groups of 4 teams, with teams seeded.
    Each team guaranteed 3 group games.
    Only winner of each group contests a semi final.
    No incentive for a team like Limerick to hammer say, Down.
    Teams like Derry,Down,Antrim play all their group games at home. At least it might promote the game better in those counties and avoid a farce like we saw today.

Just a small bit of thinking outside the box.;)

Problem with groups is it leads to mostly dead rubbers. It was total disaster when used for seniors.

Straight knockout open draw is only way forward. 21s has been great competition but current format is defunct. Let the best teams compete with everyone else on equal start.

Provincials are a joke at this stage. Even the crowds for 21s are dropping compared to 4/5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

washman3 wrote: »
    By open draw do you mean Derry travelling to Nowlan Park to play Kilkenny??
    Also, do you think it would be fair if Galway played Ulster champions in the semi so they are better prepared to a final V a team that has beaten say, Tipp,Clare,Cork and Kilkenny along the way, and maybe catching this team cold in the final.

My Suggestion :
    Scrap the provincials.
    Form 4 groups of 4 teams, with teams seeded.
    Each team guaranteed 3 group games.
    Only winner of each group contests a semi final.
    No incentive for a team like Limerick to hammer say, Down.
    Teams like Derry,Down,Antrim play all their group games at home. At least it might promote the game better in those counties and avoid a farce like we saw today.

Just a small bit of thinking outside the box.;)

I was just referring to the previous poster who stated that Tipp/Cork would have won more than they already have if they were in Galways position ie coming in at the semi final stage!

I like your suggestion, however, I would imagine its too radical for the GAA at present. Tbh if Galway were allowed join Leinster I would be happy. At least they would get a fair chance like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

slegs wrote: »

Shure Waterford had Cork beaten, and Limerick only beat Cork because of Fitz and Meade were missing, so therefore Waterford would have whitewashed Limerick. and Galway have never beaten Waterford so the Cats would be facing them in the final, but Waterford have no fears of Kilkenny anymore sine they beat them in senior this year.
    But Westmeath should have beaten Kilkenny so it should have been a Waterford/Westmeath final.
    Joke of a competition when the 2 best teams in the country were knocked out in the first round.
    Just saying like......:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fancy Limerick for the final. That game Kilkenny played against Derry was the worst preparation Kilkenny would want for the final. Galway gave Limerick a super test and that will stand to them in final.

Advertisement