Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone had gastric surgery

Options
  • 26-05-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My bmi is 34 despite the fact that I've tried every weight loss method going. I made initial enquiries about surgury today as my weight is starting to impact my mental and physical health. I'm hoping to attend the galway clinic as I live near it. Has anyone had surgery, I'd love to hear how it went for you. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Hey, my BMI was 55 before I started losing weight. Im just about 5 foot and weights over 20 stone.
    I started on a serious effort to shift the weight at about the same time a friend of mine had the pouch, its basically a gastric bypass. While i made slow and steady progress with the odd blip my friend struggled post op and the discomfort and the massive life change.
    The best advise i can give you, is try and just keep trying. If you need the op make sure you address the reasons the diets always fail but keep in mind it is a serious operation.
    Im down 7 almost 8 stone and my friend, the weight flew off but she has plateaued and is seriously struggling.
    I addressed the reasons for my weight gain and the reasons i never stuck to a diet. yes there are times i struggle but nothing compared to how she is, i think because it came off so easy for her with just a bit of walking she never really thought or learnt about food.
    There are very strict rules about what you can and cant eat and cheating can not only harm your efforts but cause serious complications.
    I will have to get skin removal and am currently waiting for my 8 stone loss to stabilize before going ahead. im still not a skinny minnie i never will be but im strong and healthy and know i can keep the weight off because i have for over a year now.
    If you have made the decisions to have the op more power to you but from my understanding with my friend, its not as easy as booking in and going for it, you have to have counselling and diet before to show you can stick with  it.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Weightloss Surgery for a BMI of 34 seems extreme. Fad diets don't work, but calorie counting, portion control and a bit of exercise does - even though its not that fun sometimes. Have you been to a dietitian? Have you had your thyroid function checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Weightloss Surgery for a BMI of 34 seems extreme. Fad diets don't work, but calorie counting, portion control and a bit of exercise does - even though its not that fun sometimes. Have you been to a dietitian? Have you had your thyroid function checked?

It is extreme but calorie counting in the long term for about 90% of people doesn't work. Neither does HFLC,LFHC or anything else.

If you are long term obese in all probability you will stay that way. That message won't sell books or do anything for gym membership but it's the truth before our eyes.

If you go about halfway through this clip
    http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/13240/31804/17th_November_2016_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_3/

It's almost exactly what Dr Vincent Hogan of St Vincent's says. After about 10% weight loss their obese patients just stall on weight loss.

I think you can take it Dr Hogan/ O'Shea etc are familiar with calorie It's a sad state of affairs that surgery is even considered but it's where we are at as a society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Yes in 2000. And I'm still fat. It's not worth it imo. You need to address the underlying issues that make you fat, a quick fix won't help. Trust me I've been there. The lifelong flatulence side effect is another issue that no one talks about.

Basically I went from 350 to 180lb in about 14 months post op but stalled there and gained back 60 of that. I've now lost some of that by eating balanced healthy meals and exercising regularly. I have done CBT to address the psychological issues that caused me to overeat and for the first time in my life I feel in control of my diet and health.

Advertisement